would ssd speed matter to an old Acer Aspire One D250?

Soldato
picked one of these up off fb yesterday, it came with win 10, so i dont know if it was orignally an XP or win 7 model, but its the one with the Atom N270, they did the 2gb upgrade and so for my use i will want to replace the standard 160gb hdd with an ssd.

i will try out my 128gb kingspec, but while im selling my desktop and up till i decide to build another pc, this netbook will be my main use for basic general stuff, so i will want to buy a bigger drive for it, however despite its in good working order it only cost me £20, so wont want to spend too much on the drive.

my question lies with the sata interface, im aware it will like half the speeds or whatever, but i want to know if there would be a noticeable difference between say a ssd speed of over 500 and one with less than 500? ie waste £70-80 on an evo when a WD or kingston etc for half the price will barely be much slower because of such.

Soldato
Yep get rid of that spinning rust as it should help rejuvenate the whole system. It's the latency reduction that really improves going to SSD plus booting and general app loading, task swapping.

Looking at the spec it's quite limited in RAM so again solid state drives should help to alleviate any disk swapping.

Soldato
OP
thanks for replies.

the 160gb drive is actually a WDB, i dont know if thats standard, but better than the crappier ones you usually find, i have to replace windows on my ssd as its 64 bit and this is a 32 bit atom ha, so will reinstall the drive to test soon.

yeah i know the ram is limited, thats fine by me, it was cost and the fact unlike the dell mini i got rid of that had the 32gb emmc in, this has a proper hard drive and upgrade option, im only going to be using it for the general stuff i normally use my desktop for which this should be fine with.

so to answer my question then, its not going to really matter what ssd i use as the overall performance will pretty much be the same? i know you can get evo 860 250gb for under £50, but can also get a crucial mx500 500gb for £66, out of those 2 examples i wouldnt know whether speed would play the final part over quantity!

Back
Top Bottom