Would this tap be ok?

Soldato
OP
Cheers mate
I will get pics up later which will help explain bit better

do u know if i was to replace the isolation valves i might just ruin the bleeding pipes

ooi do u know if i was to change the isolation valve on the hot water pipe
Would turning the mains off be enough to let one change this? I prob wont do it anyway now

Soldato
OP
Looking at that isolation valve
Looks like that 2nd valve is the best option probably. That looks like it will fit rt away

have a good evening mate thanks once again.

Associate
Looking at that isolation valve
Looks like that 2nd valve is the best option probably. That looks like it will fit rt away

have a good evening mate thanks once again.

No problem. If you replace your existing isolation valves with the 15mm - 3/8" ones you can just reuse the bottom nut and olive from your old valves and it will screw straight up to the new one.
To remove the old ones just turn of your incoming water and open up the taps to drain off any water in the pipes. That will allow you to remove the valves with minimal water spilling over your floor

Soldato
If your having issues with weeping compression fittings, I’d get some plumbers putty and it will likely just solve the issue.

Hate compression fittings, especially two in close proximity.

Soldato
OP
Hey so i put the old tap back all good except there is a leak as highlighted below on cold feed:

When i was putting the old tap back the valve got dislodged

i think i will need to turn the mains off
Drain the water and then reattempt that isolation valve:

1. Pipe might be non rounded
2. The compression olive might be damaged

the leak is around 1 drip per 4-5 hours
I tried loosening then re tightening but the outcome is the same
I left a pot underneath

what do u all reckon the fix is here? Esp when pointing to the red arrow in the pic.

Soldato
Hey so i put the old tap back all good except there is a leak as highlighted below on cold feed:

When i was putting the old tap back the valve got dislodged

i think i will need to turn the mains off
Drain the water and then reattempt that isolation valve:

1. Pipe might be non rounded
2. The compression olive might be damaged

the leak is around 1 drip per 4-5 hours
I tried loosening then re tightening but the outcome is the same
I left a pot underneath

what do u all reckon the fix is here? Esp when pointing to the red arrow in the pic.
Take off the compression fitting, remove the old olive, fit a new olive, PTFE the compression fitting and bolt it back together. Make sure you are pushing the fitting towards the wall as you tighten. Do not overtighten.

Are you using PTFE? Home goal if not. Super easy fix.

Edit: Don't use putty unless it is potable. Boss white etc are not suitable on drinking water.

Soldato
OP
Take off the compression fitting, remove the old olive, fit a new olive, PTFE the compression fitting and bolt it back together. Make sure you are pushing the fitting towards the wall as you tighten. Do not overtighten.

Are you using PTFE? Home goal if not. Super easy fix.

Edit: Don't use putty unless it is potable. Boss white etc are not suitable on drinking water.

thanks I am hoping the pipe is okay and that I can actually get the olive off :)

Soldato
Patience is key... take your time. Make sure it is pushed in towards the wall. Make sure you use "just enough" PTFE on the compression joint thread. Make sure you put it on in the right direction so it doesn't unwind as you screw the nut on.

There is no reason what you are doing shouldn't work.

Soldato
OP
ok thanks.

good point about the tape in the right direction. wished I didn't mess around with this now. hope the pipe isnt damaged otherwise i will have to cut a bit off.

Did you use new olives when you disconnected?, always do with compression fittings they are supposed to be use once.
They are really cheap and a handy thing to have in your spares kit.
If you can find copper ones, they are softer and easier to get a good seal on for diyers since they pinch easier and you can give them a couple of turns and slowly tighten them up after, brass are in the same but I find I get nervous as the effort is higher your worried to damage a pipe

Soldato
ok thanks.

good point about the tape in the right direction. wished I didn't mess around with this now. hope the pipe isnt damaged otherwise i will have to cut a bit off.
Avoid cutting if you can help it. You don't have much coming out of the wall. And if you really do need to cut, make sure you use a proper pipe cutter as it'll de-bur the end.

RE: wishing you didn't mess around with it - been there, done that, on pretty much every job. But you get better and it is another string to the bow. World won't end if you take a bit longer than professional. Consider investment in your tools still considerably cheaper than paying a bloke to come around.

Now if it was underfloor./being tiled over... deffo get a bloke.

Soldato
Patience is key... take your time. Make sure it is pushed in towards the wall. Make sure you use "just enough" PTFE on the compression joint thread. Make sure you put it on in the right direction so it doesn't unwind as you screw the nut on.

There is no reason what you are doing shouldn't work.

PTFE on the thread is useless, the olive creates the seal.

Soldato
Did you use new olives when you disconnected?, always do with compression fittings they are supposed to be use once.
They are really cheap and a handy thing to have in your spares kit.

I'd say 99% of ones I come across have been over tightened and the olive has crushed the pipe. You can carefully cut the olive out with a hacksaw and replace to use a new fitting but TBH it isnt worth it, compression fittings are crap. I'd just use a speed fit valve now.

Back
Top Bottom