Would this tap be ok?

Soldato
hey I picked up this tap on sale but when I came home and opened it up I noticed that it has a converter like this:

I can't be asked to change it to find out but....

will this conversion impact the pressure of the water from the tap?

finding pic....

Soldato
Those pipes look quite thin to me,similar to what i bought a few weeks ago and it has reduced the flow on the sink to very poor now :(
Old tap had solid chrome pipwork and a good flow
Getting an inline pump in a few days as it is just pitiful atm.Heating is oil fired and a hotwater cylinder to upstairs

Caporegime
'European' taps, brands like Grohe use thinner tails with 12mm / 3/8 inch fittings. That brass adapter will be a 12mm -> 15mm / 1/2 inch fitting, so it'll fit standard British pipes fine.

We have multiple Grohe taps with thinner tails and have no issues with flow rate.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Fitted a few with these thinner braids or the 10/12mm copper tails with reducers on and never noticed any reduction, maybe its highlighted a flow issue that maybe wasn't quite as apparent with 15mm tails?

Soldato
OP
how do I know if there is a diffuser insert?

yep I will install it sometime soon then, hopefully it'll be okay :)

thanks.

Soldato
OP
'European' taps, brands like Grohe use thinner tails with 12mm / 3/8 inch fittings. That brass adapter will be a 12mm -> 15mm / 1/2 inch fitting, so it'll fit standard British pipes fine.

We have multiple Grohe taps with thinner tails and have no issues with flow rate.

are they good taps in your view?

Soldato
OP
Well theres my weekend ruined

the adapter provided did not work
So i ended up buying a hex reducing coupling valve 3/4 to 1/2

then once i installed the tap it was like 3 nuts on compression! Absoulte nightmare to fit them on to the 15mm isolation valve

no matter what i do i still have a little leak because there are more points of failure

i think possibly i might have over tightned the nuts and the olives are not round

either way what could I be doing wrong here?
Considering to put the old tap back on but the leaks are very very slow
So left it in for now

Soldato
OP
The older tap was simple
Had the 15mm flexi valves went st on to the isolating valve

these european taps have an adapter on em and then also now a coupling valve
Very difficult to get all three nuts tightened up

so is there another coupler i could use here that gives me 1 less nut to tighten?

Soldato
I suggest you given on the compression fittings and get yourself some JG push fittings. Provided you haven't de-rounded the pipes.

I have those ultra thin flexis in my bathroom and with already low pressure, the tap is basically a drip now. Nightmare. Saves water though.

Associate
The older tap was simple
Had the 15mm flexi valves went st on to the isolating valve

these european taps have an adapter on em and then also now a coupling valve
Very difficult to get all three nuts tightened up

so is there another coupler i could use here that gives me 1 less nut to tighten?

You can get 3/8" to 15mm adapters

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-br...exible-tap-connectors-15mm-x-3-8-2-pack/6089r

Take off the supplied adapters from your flexi pipes and replace them with those. You can then go straight into a normal 15mm fitting

Soldato
OP
You can get 3/8" to 15mm adapters

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-br...exible-tap-connectors-15mm-x-3-8-2-pack/6089r

Take off the supplied adapters from your flexi pipes and replace them with those. You can then go straight into a normal 15mm fitting

Thanks do u think both of those sides has treads on it? It looks like one side only. i will see if i can get pics up to explain it all but it worked out to be THREE nuts to tighten on hot and cold each.

In the end the house almost flooded as the cold isolation valve almost came off (i think i over tightened the other side and it would not release) and i had to turn the mains water off! Heart in the mouth moment here guys damnit! I should stick to my normal it job lol

Wel i put the old tap on for now and its ok no leaks thank god

if that linked part did not work
i can certainly call someone in how much of a price do u reckon to replace a tap?

Associate
Thanks do u think both of those sides has treads on it? It looks like one side only. i will see if i can get pics up to explain it all but it worked out to be THREE nuts to tighten on hot and cold each.

In the end the house almost flooded as the cold isolation valve almost came off (i think i over tightened the other side and it would not release) and i had to turn the mains water off! Heart in the mouth moment here guys damnit! I should stick to my normal it job lol

Wel i put the old tap on for now and its ok no leaks thank god

if that linked part did not work
i can certainly call someone in how much of a price do u reckon to replace a tap?

As per the picture, only 1 side is threaded. That screws onto the tap flex pipes instead of the brass adapters in your original picture. The other end of the new adapter is essentially just a 15mm pipe. If you have an existing 15mm isolation valve then this will just fit into the top of that. Use the original nut and a new olive.

Have you got a picture of your current setup showing what you're trying to connect up to?

Back
Top Bottom