• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would upgrading from a Q9550 to an i5-760 be worth it?

Associate
I've been offered one plus board and RAM for around £120. I can probably sell my Q9550 for 80 fairly easily I figure but would I see much of a performance increase? I've looked at benchmarks but that doesn't really give an idea of real world so any ideas?

My Q9550 is currently at stock speed but I can OC it, just haven't got round to it.

Man of Honour
Is it worth the hassle of breaking down your system? the 760 is a moderately better CPU but I'm not sure you'd notice a huge difference in realworld use between an overclocked 760 and an overclocked Q9550.

If its no hassle to you to take the system apart, reinstall OS, sell the old stuff etc. then if you can get a good price for the Q9550 it would probably be worth it - personally it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me for the gains which while reasonable aren't game changing.

Associate
Better saving pennies and upgrade to Ivy Bridge, overclocking your Q9550 will give you at least a year's life with modern games.

Associate
OP
Well my case is an Antec Lanboy Air so mostly just mesh doors and a motherboard tray so that's not much bother. I'm leaning towards it as I have the itch to upgrade.

Associate
I agree. OP will easily get 50%+ performance increase from Core2Quad to Sandy/Ivy i5K

Not at stock speeds. Even with overclocking an i5K you would be lucky to get something near to that kind of performance jump.

A nice boost though to be sure, though still not sure it worth it. The Q9550 is still a very capable processor.

Associate
I would say it's worth it, if you still sell your old kit.

I went from a Q6600 overclocked to i5 750 and it was a big jump.

I was really badly bottlenecked in some games with a 5870. With the i5 there was no loss of gpu utilization at all.

Back
Top Bottom