• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti

Man of Honour
As in the title -

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti?

I personally think if people had the choice they would jump at the chance of going for the AMD option.

I feel that although Ray Tracing is a nice feature it have been rolled out a couple of generations too early on very large and expensive dies.

Is Ray Tracing worth paying £300 extra for?

Soldato
Maybe. £700 is still on the high side of where a "Ti" level card should cost imho. If you're talking £700 for the top level third party versions of it, sure I'd probably pay that.

Is Ray Tracing worth the £300 extra is a different question. At face value, no - but the impact of real time ray tracing down the line stemming from this £300 investment? Definitely more arguable position to hold, I think it's worth that at least.

Soldato
Absolutely... such a GPU would sell like hot cakes I reckon, if it were available today. There's obviously an additional saving on top of that with Freesync monitors being far cheaper.

Obviously though, no such card is available today, and won't be for at least a year or so. And that's assuming AMD even have an interest in tackling that top end of the market. They only seem bothered about low to mid range for now, and looking ahead.

I am a firm believer that ray tracing is the future. Whether Nvidia's RTX is what delivers that or not remains to be seen, but they are certainly best poised to take that mantle forwards, not to mention having first mover advantage. If it does work out, then a GPU without ray tracing will have limited appeal if there are a multitude of games that can take advantage of it. Of course, that's not the situation we're in at present (far from it), so it's all speculation... but as I say, so is a 2080Ti level performance GPU from AMD.

Soldato
No. If the disastrous 20 series release has taught me anything, it's that I simply don't need to upgrade my 1080ti to enjoy the games I play. The stupid pricing and useless "features" have highlighted the value of what I currently have.

Associate
I'll be going AMD for my next card whatever because I have freesync displays. However, my limit is £500. Although I paid £600 for my 980ti, it's not something I'll be doing again. If the rumours are true I'll get 2x £250 navi :p

I hate the market now. I paid £300 for my 8800gtx and about the same for my radeon 5870 back in the day. Yes we have inflation but the price these days is insane. Mid range cards cost what high end ones did.

Soldato
£700 is still niche GPU territory, very low volume segment (good margins though). Would it sell, probably but I don't think AMD have any plans to try and sell very high end cards anytime soon, happy to try and earn the mid-range market where the volume is, and where a card at £250-300 with Vega 64+ performance would really allow them to dominate or force Nvidia's hand to lower the RTX 2070 down to the price point.

Once they start earning the mind share with next gen Ryzen, and making Intel look like over priced, under powered, and power hungry processors, that will allow brand flow down to the graphics division. It's the PC Worlds and such of the world that need to start talking up the brand, and then maybe a high end card would suit the market.

Soldato
No. If it were available at the launch of the 20 series I might have given it some thought. In fact I would have, definitely it a lot of thought. As mentioned by Legend, the timing is important. If they release such as card half way through 2019, we know NV will be getting at least halfway towards their next gen where RT will be even better and it is a great technology looking ahead. 5 years from now you won't want to be without it anyway, IMO.

On pricing, while £700 might be niche territory, AMD need to turn some decent profits so if NV can sell £1099+ Ti's, I don't see why a basic 2080 Ti performing card (non RT, non DLSS) couldn't have sold well for £700 back when the Ti's were launched. Okay, £699.99 if it sounds better.

Last edited:

Ree

Ree

Associate
i wouldn't pay £700 even if it was twice the speed of a 2080ti. although i could afford that i just cant justify it.

Soldato
Nope, not paying £700 for any GPU, don't care how fast it is.

Around £400 new is my limit and I would begrudge paying that.

I can only see me buying second hand if the current price gouging by Nvidia and retailers continues.

Associate
Yes, I think I would.....£700 would seem like a good deal.

As for the comment:

i wouldn't pay £700 even if it was twice the speed of a 2080ti. although i could afford that i just cant justify it.

If that ever happened that would be a bargain!

Soldato
Yes, but I think it would have to be 30%+ faster than a 2080 Ti at the very least as Nvidia will have their 7nm stuff out by then. That's AMD's problem, they are playing catch up and by the time they release their answer to 1-2 year old tech it's too late.

Permabanned
As in the title -

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti?

I personally think if people had the choice they would jump at the chance of going for the AMD option.

I feel that although Ray Tracing is a nice feature it have been rolled out a couple of generations too early on very large and expensive dies.

Is Ray Tracing worth paying £300 extra for?

Yes, if the Asus ROG costs £700, while the more normal versions of Sapphire and Powercolor are around £550.

Back
Top Bottom