Would you buy a bike without a test ride?

Soldato
I am contemplating doing this at the moment... I went and rode a SV650 on the weekend, 12 plate 4.5k on the clock fully faired jobby and was up for 3.9k... was a lovely bike and instantly wanted to buy it but when I got back to the show room there was a near identical bike (a few more scuff marks) but it was an 04 plate with 15k on the clock fully faired but was up for 2.8k... now here's the issue, I couldn't test ride that one on the day due to it not having been checked so the insurance would have been void. I am also unable to get to test ride it in the next 2 weeks but Ideally need the bike before then.

A quick look over the bike and it looks fine and they will fully prep it and MOT it before I get the bike I was just curious as to what others opinions were on this.

Soldato
OP
Think they were more concerned that if I dropped it or injured myself they were not covered. Besides a pootle around the car park hardly gives me a feel for the bike :(

Think I may just leave it and see if its still there in 2 weeks when I have a chance to test ride it.

Soldato
I bought my SV650 and a GPZ500 without test rides, both on eBay. However, the SV650 was from a trader with good feedback and had very low mileage, full history and was in virtually showroom condition so low risk, and the GPZ was cheap so I had minimal expectations.

I would not buy an 04 plate SV with 15k for £2800 anyway as it's too expensive, but if you really want it then it's too much money to risk buying without a test ride.

I'd sell my 05 plate fully faired SV with Suzuki gel seat and sorted suspension and under half the miles for rather less than that...

Soldato
OP
That is the second time someone has told me on this forum that I am paying too much for an SV yet I cannot find them anywhere in a decent condition with low milage and full fairings for lower than that......

Soldato
Depends what bike. £3K+ i would, below that i probably wouldn't do anything but make sure it starts and goes around 1st Neutral and 2nd all ok.

FYI, i'm looking at SVs between £3K and £4K all of which are newer than 2007/08. £2800 seems to be steep for it's age. It'd have to be under 15k miles and mint condition to warrant that price tag!

Nice example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-59-S...9848346?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3a80d99d1a

Last edited:
Soldato
That is the second time someone has told me on this forum that I am paying too much for an SV yet I cannot find them anywhere in a decent condition with low milage and full fairings for lower than that......

I've just looked through eBay and Autotrader and I see what you mean, asking prices for the SV are a bit higher than I expected. That said bike prices are generally higher this time of year, especially with the half decent weather.

Don't discount a half faired bike if you can get it for the right price. You can buy aftermarket lowers that aren't too badly priced. The genuine Suzuki lowers retail for around £450 :eek:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
What he said ^^, from a dealer i have no qualms about buying with out a test ride, one question tho, why an SV650, as you can get an older SV1000 for round about the same kinda prices your quoting op?.

Soldato
What he said ^^, from a dealer i have no qualms about buying with out a test ride, one question tho, why an SV650, as you can get an older SV1000 for round about the same kinda prices your quoting op?.

If it's anything like my experience when looking at the SV1000, it'll be because the insurance is double.

Soldato
Yep. Absolutely.

I bought my current bike (Aprilia RSV Mille) in 2004 without a test ride. Even more surprising in the dealers mind was that I'd never had a large capacity v-twin in my life, always having owned il4's. He warned me they were an acquired taste and not everyone could ride them properly because of the power delivery but I didn't care and went ahead and bought it. Still recall the words of the mechanic who ran through the controls etc with me before I rode away - He just broke into a huge grin and said "You will ride away from here and until you get out of the town, you may think "Why on earth did I buy this thing?!!", but when you get out onto the open roads, you will think "I know exactly why I bough this thing".

He finished with "Bring it back if I'm wrong. I don't however, expect to see you again for a while".

How glad I was, still makes me grin from ear to ear every time I ride the thing. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes and have done, along with cars.

Just ask general questions.
Is there any damage, is there any problems etc. as well as anything specific you want to know. When you turn up you can check it out and handover the money if it all checks out.

Soldato
OP
If it's anything like my experience when looking at the SV1000, it'll be because the insurance is double.

My insurance on most bikes already ranges from £500-800 fully comp and that is on 600-650

Yes and have done, along with cars.

Just ask general questions.
Is there any damage, is there any problems etc. as well as anything specific you want to know. When you turn up you can check it out and handover the money if it all checks out.

It is more then £400 deposit I would lose, large chunk of change at the moment

I have been guilty of offloading a nail of a bike to a dealer though as part of a trade in,shame they didn't test ride it:D

Lol.... I'd feel bad...especially if I ever needed to take the bike back or get work done.

Back
Top Bottom