Would you buy a bike without a test ride?

Soldato
I bought my 12 plate Versys, that had just under 1k on the clock, from my local Kawasaki dealer without a test ride as it was snowing like mad the day I bought it. I was totally confident there would be no issue.

As others have said from a dealer you're in a good position if it turns out to be a lemon, but from a private seller, now that's a different matter.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I bought a 13 year old zx9r from a dealer without a testdrive. Gave me 12 months warranty and 10% off in the parts department for ever and day.

Been a cracking bike and aside from fork seals its been faultless.

Soldato
From a dealer yes because if its naff its going straight back.
But private no I would want at least a small test ride.

This.

Had a pillion ride (no licence at the time) on my first/last/only bike to date, getting back on in a year or two hopefully :)

From a dealer will leave you covered providing you go back with any issues sharpish.

Soldato
Rossi~ said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogie

My insurance on most bikes already ranges from £500-800 fully comp and that is on 600-650

Mine is £250-300 fully comp for a 650cc and £500-700 for a 1000cc Which is why i'm going for a SV650 or Aprilia Shiver.

Mines £91 fully comp for a 750, the only good thing about being over 50 lol

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Grrrr, Found 2 nice V-Stroms but one place wants me to give them the cash up front before they will let me test ride it and another wants me to buy the bike, give it a ride and if I don't like it take it back and they will give me my money back... not willing to put up £4k for a test ride

Associate
Likely not, but I did travel by train from Essex to the very top of North Wales to see my current ride with check book in hand, test rode, checked it over, bought it and rode all the way back in one day :D

Soldato
I've bought loads of bikes without test rides. Blackbird, Speed Triple, GSXR1000 - never had a bad experience.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect an 04 SV to be anywhere near as fresh as the 12 you test rode, if that's what you're expecting?

Soldato
OP
I've bought loads of bikes without test rides. Blackbird, Speed Triple, GSXR1000 - never had a bad experience.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect an 04 SV to be anywhere near as fresh as the 12 you test rode, if that's what you're expecting?

Yeah it was, I just wanted to make sure things such as brakes weren't spongy and were still reasonable if I had to slam my anchors on. That suspension didn't wallow and felt like I was on a boat etc ... the small things you can get from a test ride.

is there a chance you could be taken on the abckas a pillion, just so you can at least see it goes through the gears ok

I assume you mean for the Vstroms, I did enquire and they both outright said No as they were not insured for this.

Associate
I have done but never will again...always test ride a sendhand bike no 2 bikes are the same!
Like me and a mate brought new gsxr600 the same time years ago done same mileage and his felt much worse than mine and not as fast :)
Its good to check for vibrations and suspension mostly some bikes have them some don't and fueling and fuel consumption head stock bearings wobbles at high speed and if the bike fits feels right for you :)

Soldato
Bought my R125 without a test ride but didnt have CBT when I bought it though, so couldn't really, sat on it multiple times though to get a feel for it, and bought it from new so knew everything would be sound about it mechanically.

I probably wouldn't buy another one without a test ride though, but have a license now so shouldn't be a problem.

Soldato
I did it once, long long time ago and never again... when the guy came to show me the bike everything was working.. he came on the bike.
After I bought it and took it home, it was ok.. next morning with the engine cold, the engine was smoking and I had to replace 2 valves.

It is always good to test the bike when the engine is cold.

Associate
Actually depends. I bought the race blade without ever riding it...

Road bikes and people without a solid reputation... prob never!

Soldato
I've a deposit down on my bike and purchase it and pick it up tomorrow without intending to ride it first.
It is however from a reputable dealer in the area, has just over 1000 miles and comes with warranty.

Back
Top Bottom