• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a used GTX970 from Ebay?

Soldato
I posted a similar thread in the motherboards section and most people seem from buying on Ebay is absolutely fine and I was wondering if that extended to GPU's? Ideally i'd still buy from the MM but all the used 970's seem to have tried up so I might have to resort to Ebay.

Thanks

Soldato
I sold 2 gpu's there with no problems at all, The cards were perfectly working, but its always a risk as you never know why the seller is selling it.

Soldato
Just make sure you value the item accordingly. Many people expect too much for their used cards and many people paying too much for used tat IMO.

Risk of being ripped off, risk of card being dodgy, risk that it's been overclocked and might therefore have a shorter lifespan, and of course there's the issue regarding warranty. All those should affect your valuation. Forget all the BS about "I'll help you in case of a claim", value the item as if it has no warranty. How much is a warranty worth to you?
Also find out how much a new tech card of a slightly faster performance level will cost you - could price in relation to that.

Associate
I have bought a couple of GPU's from there before with no problems, just check the sellers rep, I wouldnt buy from someone with a really low rep, most people are genuine.

Associate
Yes, do it.

As a buyer/seller on that specific auction site, make sure you pay by Paypal and its sent recorded delivery.

In my 11 years of using them, using the above method to purchase goods, I have found Paypal have always refunded me if the item purchased was not "as described/damaged/faulty or missing". Although , I have not had to request a refund more than 3 times over 11 years.

Last edited:
Associate
I've bought a fair few used PC parts on there and never really had an issue at all. Just remember not to get too carried away and end up bidding over what an item is worth!

Soldato
The only problem with eBay is how insanely overpriced cards are compared to, say, the Members Market here. I'm just looking at the sold listings and something like a 4GB 960 regularly sells for £150+ second hand on there (some closer to £200). You'd get a 980 for the same money on the MM. Obviously there are going to be bargains to be had every now and then, but the general pricing is way too high.

Soldato
The only problem with eBay is how insanely overpriced cards are compared to, say, the Members Market here. I'm just looking at the sold listings and something like a 4GB 960 regularly sells for £150+ second hand on there (some closer to £200). You'd get a 980 for the same money on the MM. Obviously there are going to be bargains to be had every now and then, but the general pricing is way too high.

Perhaps its the mm that's too low? I sell a fair bit on the mm as I (hope) to avoid the scammer's, not have to pay fee's and feed into a more targeted 'community'

Having said that if I can find a buyer elsewhere via work etc I almost always get a better price for sales

I think sometimes the expectation of a bargain can be a little unrealistic on the mm and sometimes you have to be willing to say no quite firmly. There were jokers months ago offering £200 for 980ti's and one guy recently looking for a 5960x for around £300! (don't think he had any offers strangely)

Last edited:
Associate

^^ Absolutely spot on, just bide your time on the MM and one will come along soon! You could always post in the wanted section.

Back
Top Bottom