• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you change to AMD GPU if there the fastest and you have a G-SYNC monitor

Soldato
If AMD bought out a new range of GPU's that were faster then the NVidia GPU's would you change to AMD if you had a G-SYNC monitor

Or would you still stay with NVidia due to owning a G-SYNC monitor..

Man of Honour
Not in a hurry - AMD have too long not put their money where their mouth is for my liking.

Having a G-Sync monitor I would also not quickly switch away from G-Sync support either - there are a lot of single player, etc. game I can enjoy at 60-70fps with G-Sync that in the past I couldn't and/or needed around 100+fps to get the same feeling of responsiveness without compromising on tearing, etc.

Soldato
Yes I would. I'd try to sell my monitor (Dell S2716DG) and get a Freesync 2 HDR monitor such as the Samsung CHG70. Although it doesn't look like it will happen any time soon, unfortunately.

Associate
If AMD bought out a new range of GPU's that were faster then the NVidia GPU's would you change to AMD if you had a G-SYNC monitor

Given that the differences between the top end graphics cards only tend to be 10-15% I would stay with G-Sync every time. The difference between 60fps and 70fps really isn't that important. On games where the difference is higher, your probbly already making 100+ fps anyway and again it doesn't really matter. However, G-Sync is just a game changer in my opinion. It really does smooth everything out and on the games where you can only make 40FPS at the difficult points it's just as playable as when your making much higher fps.

Soldato
Nope.

Fluidity of GSYNC is worth more to me than all out power. I'm certainly not replacing an expensive monitor and GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato

Personally I'd stay withot even contemplating, there are FreeSync users on here who have quit AMD to go 1080Ti but back to Vega because Vega+FreeSync Vrr gaming fluidity>1080Ti even though Vega's slower by quite a bit, therefore slower Nvidia+G-Sync>faster AMD isn't any different.

Soldato
You can tell why vendors liked proprietary tech from this thread. Ties your customers into your ecosystem and keeps them and their money coming back for more. I wouldn't tie myself into anything if I could help it. My next monitor will be Freesync 2, despite owning a 1070 currently. AMD just need to do a Ryzen in the GPU space...

Soldato
You can tell why vendors liked proprietary tech from this thread. Ties your customers into your ecosystem and keeps them and their money coming back for more. I wouldn't tie myself into anything if I could help it. My next monitor will be Freesync 2, despite owning a 1070 currently. AMD just need to do a Ryzen in the GPU space...

Why does it always have to be the work of the big evil empire? Most people who try it value smoothness over higher frames. It's tremendous tech and that's why people swear by it.

Soldato
Why does it always have to be the work of the big evil empire? Most people who try it value smoothness over higher frames. It's tremendous tech and that's why people swear by it.
Their new cards should support both formats moving forward - let the users decide what they want, don't lock your customers in.

Vir

Vir

Associate
For me to do such a thing AMD would have to be faster by such a high percentage, that would probably not happen knowing AMD.
Btw, I'm really enjoying gsync!

Caporegime
Once my current card doesn't cut the mustard, then quite possibly, yes. I would also likely change the monitor to a FreeSync one as well.

Soldato
Considering you have already coughed up spending extra £150~£300 for the Gsync feature on the monitor, it wouldn't make much sense to go back with using AMD cards, unless someone can come up with some sort of hax to enable Adaptive Sync (Freesync) on the monitor.

Keep it mind that the situation is not the same as owner of Adaptive/Free sync monitor, as they did not have to invest extra money for the sync feature...so the reasoning that's restricting them from switching from AMD card to Nvidia is more of a psychological one (losing the sync feature) than a financial one, where as switching from Nvidia to a AMD on a Gsync monitor is a financial and psychological one (a key feature that you had to invest extra money on become redundant).

I genuinely hope someone could hacks Gsync monitors to be able to support Adaptive Sync as well, so people are not locked to either Nvidia or AMD. But knowing the track record of Nvidia threatened legal action against a developer that managed to develop a hack that allowed Nvidia cards to be use as PhysX card with ATI card as primary card to cease distribution or else, I doubt many would risk their personal safety to do this.

Back
Top Bottom