Would you ever use Bank Transfer on Gumtree?

Seller insists on using it. It'll be for a £200 item. He tells me he's had previous bad experiences with Paypal and being ripped off/being left in the negative. As reassurance, he's told me he'll provide his ID, proof of address, bank details, etc.

Thoughts?

absolutely NOT

As above.

The whole "bad experience with PayPal" line, whilst plausible, it usually a line spouted by scammers to nudge you into Bank Transfer.

Run like the wind...

But then again, to be fair to legitimate sellers, what stops a buyer from paying PayPal, then charging back upon receiving the item? Works both ways, really. I'm almost certain the guy is legitimate, but I won't risk it this time.

And no, I'm not new to the internet. He seems genuine and it's really unfair to brand >everyone< that uses Gumtree that is willing to post is always going to be a scammer. I've bought from the site twice in the past, both items being posted with no issues.

So you are the person who messages asking to post?

You need to stop using a local ad site to buy stuff far away and ask for it to be posted.

The fact that you have had to come here and ask for advice shows that you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Please stop using gumtree and tell all the other people who don't understand how it works to stop using it too

So you are the person who messages asking to post?

You need to stop using a local ad site to buy stuff far away and ask for it to be posted.

The fact that you have had to come here and ask for advice shows that you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Please stop using gumtree and tell all the other people who don't understand how it works to stop using it too

What's wrong with a legitimate buyer asking someone to post an item because of distance? :rolleyes:

What's wrong with a legitimate buyer asking someone to post an item because of distance? :rolleyes:

Gumtree is the first site for free classifieds ads in the UK. Buy and sell items, cars, properties, and find or offer jobs in your area.

The big giveaway is in the description.

In your area.

You are seriously every sellers worst nightmare and why people hate using gumtree.

He's using a local ads site to buy stuff far away. He doesn't get that he shouldn't be doing this. So I don't think he cares what gumtree recommend

I'm aware of it's intended use, and that it's not recommended, but it's not the end of the world if there's users on there that deliver to those that aren't in their local area. Yes there's a very high chance of you getting scammed, but not everyone is on there to scam you. Stop being so negative about it, lol.

I'm aware of it's intended use, and that it's not recommended, but it's not the end of the world if there's users on there that deliver to those that aren't in their local area. Yes there's a very high chance of you getting scammed, but not everyone is on there to scam you. Stop being so negative about it, lol.

Not all prostitutes have STD's.......... I'd still recommend everyone uses a condom though.

How did you plan on paying this person?

If it's by PayPal he's right to demand bank transfer.

Also why do you find it difficult to understand that you are in the wrong? Not the seller.

You are approaching them to post something on a local ad site. Something that you shouldn't be doing and is recommended that you don't do.

You are one of the many reasons people hate using gumtree.

How did you plan on paying this person?

If it's by PayPal he's right to demand bank transfer.

Also why do you find it difficult to understand that you are in the wrong? Not the seller.

You are approaching them to post something on a local ad site. Something that you shouldn't be doing and is recommended that you don't do.

You are one of the many reasons people hate using gumtree.

Originally PayPal, so I had protection. I'm not a scammer, so it's not like I was going to screw anyone over.

If any seller had a problem with posting an item, they can kindly say no to my initial message of asking about it being delivered. I'm not going to badger them after that. We'd both move on. No big deal, right?

You are seriously every sellers worst nightmare and why people hate using gumtree.

I don't hate using Gumtree, I've had quite a few bargains off there. But then they were local and I did hand over cash in person. Looking back though, it must've looked as dodgy as anything. Two guys sat on park bench with one handing over a smallish box and the other handing him a bundle of notes before shaking hands and both leaving in opposite directions.

That's why gum tree highly recommends cash not PayPal or bank transfer.

I've only ever bought and sold face to face and with cash and that's the only way I plan to continue using Gumtree.

However, there does appear to be protection with Paypal assuming you select 'goods'.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Buying-with-PayPal/Buying-with-PayPal-on-Gumtree/td-p/87246

Assuming you're a uk registered account holder, and you pay an invoice for goods, or you use send money from within your paypal account, then select "goods" as the reason for the payment, then you'll have the same protection you would have if you'd bought on ebay, including protection against the laptop not being as described. If you use send money, but select any of the personal payment options, or you pay a money request for payment owed, you'll have no protection. Its a question of looking at the invoice supplied, or selecting the right reason for the payment when you make it.

So if you really want to risk half the money, i.e £100, then at least do it this way.

If you insist on doing it via paypal then at least have a word with paypal because no company is going to leave themselves that open to fraud if you tick a box saying you are paying for "goods". There will be terms and conditions attached.

Gumtree is a nightmare as a seller. I reckon out of the 20 replies I had about my apple watch half we're offering me ~40% less than I wanted, half wanted me to post it and around 20% asked a lot of questions and then asked me to post it.

I only use it because its so low effort to post adverts and it doesn't cost anything. The number of people I have had agree to buy stuff and simply not turn up even after confirming they are coming a few hours earlier is quite amazing. People are inconsiderate *****.

Anyway, back on topic. Never post an item and never bank transfer or paypal for an item unless you are with the seller physically. Even then I would be suspicious.

Don't know why you post asking for advice when you are intent on ignoring it. Also stop using Gumtree like it's Ebay :| It's supposed to be for local deals, face to face and cash in hand.

Originally PayPal, so I had protection. I'm not a scammer, so it's not like I was going to screw anyone over.

If any seller had a problem with posting an item, they can kindly say no to my initial message of asking about it being delivered. I'm not going to badger them after that. We'd both move on. No big deal, right?

The issue being here which you seem to be missing is in your scenario is the seller opens himself up to being screwed for no reason what so ever.

Seller - Accepts paypal.
Buyer - Gets goods delivered. Says goods are faulty / damaged. Gets paypal to step in and refund him.
Seller - Gets money taken off him.

You say you wouldn't do this. But use some common sense here. How many random strangers do you trust with money? Especially those that messaged you on gumtree.

The seller rightfully said send me cash using bank transfer.

That way you cannot claim goods are faulty, etc. He cannot lose money.

You can but you are the person asking him to deliver on a local ad site in the first place. So therefore I don't see why the seller should be willing to take the risk when you aren't even though you are the one using the service completely wrong.

In future I hope you understand why people tell you rightfully to go do one. Why you needed to create a thread to figure this out just shows you don't understand how scammers or gumtree works. He was doing the right thing asking for bank transfer. You were doing the wrong thing by demanding both postage and also demanding paypal.

Back
Top Bottom