Would you ever use Bank Transfer on Gumtree?

I sold an item on gumtree once that the buyer paid by BT. It was only about £25, and it was they who suggested the payment method, as they really wanted it but lived too far away to collect.

It all worked out ok.

Bit different if it's the seller insisting on BT, though.

Just a quick question - how many people on here who are saying "omg no, you'll get scammed, how dare he ask for bank transfer etc" have bought something from the Member's Market on here, using BT?

I certainly have and it worked out just fine. I've sold things, too. Whats the difference between this forum and Gumtree?

After my mugging on Gumtree (should have seen the warning signs), I've stayed well clear (apart from an outdoor heater I bought :p). In answer to your question, absolutely not.

Used Bank Transfer when I bought my Son his camera. I checked with the seller first that he’d be ok with it and he was. Went to his place, examined the camera, was happy with it and transferred the money there and then and it was in his account within minutes. I wouldn’t do it without being there though. If they insist on it I’d be wary and certainly don’t transfer anything without examining the goods!

Just a quick question - how many people on here who are saying "omg no, you'll get scammed, how dare he ask for bank transfer etc" have bought something from the Member's Market on here, using BT?

I certainly have and it worked out just fine. I've sold things, too. Whats the difference between this forum and Gumtree?

The forum has a trust system which is reasonable, and a barrier to entry to even getting into it (membership length/post count).

It's not uncommon for new people with low feedback to be asked to send goods first or have partial payments due to being higher risks.

The forum has a trust system which is reasonable, and a barrier to entry to even getting into it (membership length/post count).

It's not uncommon for new people with low feedback to be asked to send goods first or have partial payments due to being higher risks.

And you think that someone intent on scamming wouldn't easily hop those barriers?

What I'm saying is that there is barely any accountability on this forum, it's done on trust. The guy selling on Gumtree to the OP has made himself accountable by offering to send over a copy of his ID and address - which is more than this forum requires in order to sell goods. Why the instant mistrust?

I wouldn't accept paypal as a seller on gumtree.

Either cash in hand or bank transfer via phone app at the point of handing over after the person has inspected it. Which can then be verified it's gone into my account using my phone.

You could ask if they have ebay feedback, check it, then message that person to verify they're the same person.

Or travel to collect it.

Or look elsewhere to buy it with buyer protection (ebay)

Or pay someone you trust in London to pick it up and post it to you.

Or risk it for a biscuit, but be fully prepared to lose it all.

Errr well you need to be on the site for a period of time and hit a post count level. You also in the past were not allowed to signup to ocuk forums with generic E-Mail accounts. Stuff like hotmail etc wasn't allowed if I remember right. You also got feedback left on your trust section. Often you would need to sell small items to build up that trust before users on here would trust a large purchase on you. It a lot more personal than a throwaway gumtree account.

And you think that someone intent on scamming wouldn't easily hop those barriers?

What I'm saying is that there is barely any accountability on this forum, it's done on trust. The guy selling on Gumtree to the OP has made himself accountable by offering to send over a copy of his ID and address - which is more than this forum requires in order to sell goods. Why the instant mistrust?

I think the risk is lower personally selling on here vs Gumtree. The barriers to entry here aren't insurmountable no, but most people won't bother vs doing a new account on ebay or gumtree if they are intent on scamming.

I'd not send money to someone on Gumtree via bank transfer without being present to collect the goods in person, but that might be just me. I'd be much happier paying via BT here where I can at least see evidence of past trades and feedback from other members.

How many scammers are on the MM compared to Gumtree.

If you insist on doing it via paypal then at least have a word with paypal because no company is going to leave themselves that open to fraud if you tick a box saying you are paying for "goods". There will be terms and conditions attached.

If you're paying for goods then transaction fees apply (as well as the T+Cs you mention). If you send money as a gift you can do it for free.

The sheer amount of time and effort required to scam people on the MM would make it entirely pointless. You would be better off getting a minimum wage job for the amount of time you would spend building up your post count and time on the forums.

Scammers want quick, easy and low effort. The MM is none of these.

This will make very little difference as well. Perhaps the scammer has found someone elses info to use online. Perhaps he just denies everything once you have sent the money. "Don't know how someone got those details."

The police certainly won't give a single **** about you losing £100 you sent to some stranger on the internet.

Its basically about risk management and this is a risky deal. No one is saying that its 100% a scam but gumtree is full of them so why risk it.

As expected. Its overwhelmingly cash only response.

People asking this is why scamming exists. People still fall for it

To those who say why the mistrust? Why trust? You don't know the person. I could easily send some ID that was googled.

Why risk it?

We can put this thread to rest. I won't risk it. I was more curious about the protection side of bank transfer and if it has changed over the years. The article I linked did say something was changing this year in regards to bank transfer scams and getting protection from it, but I didn't know if it's actually in place or not.

To be fair, for every scam there are probably 5 successful transactions. I've bought and sold stuff on Gumtree/Facebook and paid/been paid using BT and haven't had any issues. Just use common sense, if a deal/person seems off then run.

Out of interest what is the item? I'd have expected most scammers to be advertising popular items. If what you're after is specialized enough for you to want to take the risk then go for it. Just don't expect any compensation if things go south.

We can put this thread to rest. I won't risk it. I was more curious about the protection side of bank transfer and if it has changed over the years. The article I linked did say something was changing this year in regards to bank transfer scams and getting protection from it, but I didn't know if it's actually in place or not.
If you’re meeting in person then it’s fine using your smartphone mobile banking and is usually as good as instant. If they’re posting it then don’t be ridiculous.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

You meet and pay cash.

Trust system?

also we are saying he is right to ask for BT. it's the OP who is wrong to demand paypal.

the seller has done everything by the book. the way i would do it.
it's the buyer (OP) who has done everything wrong. yet is saying the seller is in the wrong.

the seller should be requesting cash or BT no other payment should be accepted on gumtree as a seller.

if he the buyer doesn't like it then he shouldn't be buying long distance.

a lot of people here are missing the whole flaws of his stance

Back
Top Bottom