Would you get married in a church?

Man of Honour
OP
To me though, a church is simply a nice building. Nothing more.

From my perspective, it isn't simply about how I view the building, it's about the opinions of those who own and frequently use the building, and what it means to them.

Man of Honour
I think it would be an issue to pretend to be religious. I told the vicar I was an atheist and explained my views on marriage and why it was important to my wife. He was happy enough so I don't see why anyone else should be put out.

Associate
But the whole reason of getting married in a church is to have a ceremony in front of god, since it is a religious building.

Should a church be preserved for its religious reasons, or is it little more than a glorified function hall? I think some Christians might find the latter quite insulting. Hence, I would choose not to get married in a church.

For those of us who are Christian and have got married in a church, yes, it is to have the ceremony in front of god, I agree.

Having said that, I also know of many who have got married in church who are not religious.

I am Christian and do not find it offensive.

Soldato
Got married in a church, though I do not follow any prescribed faith.

To be honest, it was the location, beauty and history which did it for us. It was a nice backdrop for us. Shallow but meh, worked for me.

Man of Honour
OP
I think it would be an issue to pretend to be religious. I told the vicar I was an atheist and explained my views on marriage and why it was important to my wife. He was happy enough so I don't see why anyone else should be put out.

In those circumstances, I imagine I would be happy to get married in a church. I think that is very respectable of you.

Soldato
This isn’t a thread for religion bashing or belief preaching, just for opinions on the following:

I really like churches. I think they are beautiful, traditional buildings that have been a place of many joyous occasions. As such, I couldn’t imagine a better place to become married. However, I am not a Christian. This, to some extent, makes me feel that it would be disrespectful for me to get married in a church.

I was asked “but surely if you don’t believe in God, then it doesn’t matter anyway?”. However, I cannot agree. I think it would, arguably, be mocking Christian beliefs by taking advantage of what is essentially a religious building for my own benefits.

I’m not getting married any time soon (thankfully ;)), but I thought it was an interesting point of discussion. Is it right to get married in a church if you are not religious? What do you plan to do, or what have you done?

Looked at another way, I suppose a lot of Churches were built with the country's money in years gone by, so the country should have a right to use them.

/Devils' advocate

Soldato
I wouldnt have a religious ceremony, not sure if you can have a civil ceremony in a church? I think the only case I'd get married in a church is if it were the village church where I grew up, or one of significance to my other half, but definitely if I were to marry my current gf there is no chance it would be in a church.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I know some Christians who do find it offensive.

The whole issue is subjective, there are no rights or wrongs here :)

And these Christians are probably the same people who feel some esoteric elitism based on their belief system.

Although in another guise, I suppose it could be seen as some subtle form of iconoclasm.

Man of Honour
That is my opinion.. That's the beauty of debate :)

I still find it hard to understand that an atheist could enter gods house to be married yet doesn't call this hypercritical.

are you an atheist? if not, that may be the problem - to an atheist a church is not "god's house", just a building.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I am agnostic. I got married in Church. Primarily because my wife is (was?) Catholic and it was her Church, the same one that she got christened and confirmed in. We did not however have the Wedding Mass (would be silly as the groom would not have been able to participate) and when I was saying my vows I was saying them to my wife rather than to God.

Soldato
I am agnostic. I got married in Church. Primarily because my wife is (was?) Catholic and it was her Church, the same one that she got christened and confirmed in. We did not however have the Wedding Mass (would be silly as the groom would not have been able to participate) and when I was saying my vows I was saying them to my wife rather than to God.
Did you have your own vows?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Did you have your own vows?

We made the usual minor adjustment (Cherish rather than Obey) however it was the priests first wedding in that church and he got a bit flustered so we just had the standard wedding vows. Always handy to have the "Hey, you promised to obey me before God!" line ready!

Back
Top Bottom