Would you like a receipt Sir

Commissario
I’ve noticed it more since contactless payments became popular. I generally say “don’t worry about the receipt” and as soon as the Approved message appears on the terminal, I’m doing an offski.

Soldato
always ask for your receipt at McDonlads, they have a survey on them and you get Bigmac n Fries for £1.99 on your next visit.. rinse and repeat ;)

Thats why I miss the bus paper tickets. You always got a voucher for a cheap Big Mac on the back of them.

Getting a receipt from Maccy Ds seems beyond difficult at times.

If we're all about saving paper and ink, someone needs to tell Waitrose to come up with a more streamlined receipt. The amount of paper it prints for one item is laughable.

I’ve noticed it more since contactless payments became popular. I generally say “don’t worry about the receipt” and as soon as the Approved message appears on the terminal, I’m doing an offski.

All these points are really valid which is why FinTech companies are trying to make a difference. Starling bank now have a marketplace where software houses utilise open banking to integrate the till software to provide the receipt data directly into your banking feed. A little plus sign you click on and magically a receipt appears in your banking app. Its early days and its a bit of chicken and egg situation but its coming, great idea for people who claim expenses a lot of the time.

If anyone wants to read more about it https://www.starlingbank.com/marketplace/loyalty-receipts/flux/ and https://www.tryflux.com/

Caporegime
I’ve noticed quite a few clothes shops ask for your email now to email your receipt instead of printing one. Probably why I get spam mail more than ever. It’s also Quite annoying standing there having to spell it out to them because they can’t understand what your saying.Would be hilarious having a rude or explicit email address name to give in just for a laugh.
why would you give a shop your email address ?

Associate
Always have a drawer full of receipts here, as there's a bi-monthly "receipt lottery" where you check the numbers printed on the top of your receipt and get money if they match the draw. Got £70 last month. I know a lot of people don't bother keeping them, but it only takes 5 minutes to check, and I've never got less than £20 or so. One last time round was £25 for a £1 beer :p

..There is logic behind this, it was introduced to get businesses to comply with tax laws, as customers would demand a receipt to get their "lottery ticket". There's a green, non paper-based version too which stores the numbers on your contactless card, but it's all in Chinese and a terribly designed website, plus I'm leaving soon anyway.

Soldato
Co-op always ask, not everyone wants receipts.

They still give me vouchers though.

I always get a fuel receipt as I claim mileage through work and need to justify it, but will only get a receipt from a small purchase of food/drink if my other half has asked me to get something specifically for her, so she can give me the money for it

WAIT.......
Am i reading that right? You make your other half give you money back for buying her for food and drink you purchase for her? You're a catch aren't you? :D

Caporegime
For my receipt. How else am I going to return it if I don’t have a receipt? They don’t give paper ones. That’s the way they will all end up soon imo
surely thats BS

loads of people don't have an email address or won't want to provide one, you think these shops are really going to lose customers because they demand receipts be email only?
in an age where they are competing with the internet... I'm severely sceptical about this.

What shops apparently don't give paper receipts ? cos I'm calling BS on this one

Soldato
When a shop asks if you want a receipt, you say no but one still gets printed, this is just a system limitation. I work with Microsoft's retail solution and it amazes me that a paper receipt is still considered mandatory.

Benefits to retailers with ereceipts are :
  • It's 'green'
  • Saves them money
  • Gives them the chance to get you to opt in to digital marketing
  • Failing the above, the ereceipt is another opportunity to create a lead to their sales/websites
With regards to refunds, any system worth its salt will pick up your complete purchase history from your email address if you wanted to return an item.

Back
Top Bottom