Would you like a receipt Sir

Caporegime
Yep

Equality and all that.

If that sounds amusing I pay for ⅔ of the rent of our house and all the: council tax, electricity, gas, water, sewerage rates, broadband, car payments, car insurance and contents insurance

So asking her to pay for her shopping isn't quite as Scrooge like as it might sound.

Dunno how you manage tbh, you sound so hard done by.

That would be completely true if tills didn't print them off automatically. Co-op always ask, I say "no", and then they just put the automatically printed receipt into the bin as it has already been printed off.

The new tills in sainsburys ask you. I can't remember if Tescos do as well. I don't tend to shop at the coop as they are overpriced, always run out of stock and are little dirty looking.

Soldato
The self checkouts in Sainsburys have recently had a software update and started prompting for receipts instead of just printing them so now I have to tap "yes" and wait, they're wasting my valuable seconds! xD

Permabanned
The self checkouts in Sainsburys have recently had a software update and started prompting for receipts instead of just printing them so now I have to tap "yes" and wait, they're wasting my valuable seconds! xD
or do you save time due to previous customers not waiting for receipts?
probably interesting to work out, but, effort. :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The self-checkouts at Morrisons used to be handy for changing coins.

E.g. If your total was £4.84 but you dumped in £7 worth of coins, it would give you the correct change in the highest denominator :cool:

A few years ago I discovered this and would regularly empty my wallet of the loose change, just so I could get rid of the annoying 5p, 2p and 1p. I believe they've changed it now, so that it just returns any coins over the balance total.

Soldato
The self-checkouts at Morrisons used to be handy for changing coins.

E.g. If your total was £4.84 but you dumped in £7 worth of coins, it would give you the correct change in the highest denominator :cool:

A few years ago I discovered this and would regularly empty my wallet of the loose change, just so I could get rid of the annoying 5p, 2p and 1p. I believe they've changed it now, so that it just returns any coins over the balance total.

Yes that was their old white Fujitsu self checkout machines that had the little coin conveyor belt where you just dumped your coinage in :D They have since upgraded the self checkouts to NCR which everywhere uses these days.

Caporegime
Yeh I will make a point of asking for paper next time then. Seems it must just be the staff trying to force the E receipt on customers to gain email addresses etc as they make it sound like if you want a receipt then it’s emailed.
on one forum talking about this that I came across someone was saying the staff members have targets and are required to get upto 40% of customers to hand over their email addresses or that member of staff could be reprimanded for not hitting targets :O

If they are trying so hard to collect email addresses I don't think it's about going green at all.

do these Ereceipts have adverts on them or something? similar to how plane boarding passes are that you print off your self from the budget airlines?

Caporegime
There's a big push to go to e-receipts to save money but also to create more records in CRM databases.

e-receipts do not contain adverts (ours don't).
guess it's still one way to collect someone's spending habits without the need for any loyalty card scheme

Soldato
OP
If they do not issue paper receipts and you don't have a email address (Like old people) can you demand a hand written one - What happens if your purchase goes faulty or you want to return it ?

Man of Honour
I went in an Indian restaurant recently with my wife, and when we were ready to go, I asked for the bill.
It was £38. and change, I put my card down, and a £5 note as a tip.
The guy brought the machine to the table, and I did the usual, he thanked me and walked away.
I said, “How about my Debit Card slip?”
He said, “You don’t get one with these card readers.”
I said, “Well, can you print me one out then please, I don’t want to get billed £138. odd, and have nothing to dispute it with.”
He did it, but he wasn’t happy, but I wasn’t unduly concerned about his happiness.

Caporegime
kinda weird when I google about Ereceipts it seems all the media were passing them of as a good thing.. because now you don't need to keep a bag of receipts in your purse :confused:
like wtf theres very few things you would really want to keep receipts for in the first place, the things you would maybe claim a warranty on at some point.
isn't it normal just to put the receipt for such things in the manuals anyway.

I don't see how it's a positive thing, if companies want to cut down on waste paper, why use so many cardboard boxes? why use so much packaging. a few rolls of receipt paper aren't going to make a difference....
getting rid of them sure helps collect email addresses and track peoples spending.

does facebook still allow the searching of people by their email address unless they opted out of that?

potentially these companies could be collecting a whole portfolio on people just from a single email address, tying their facebook info with linked in info.
seeing what their jobs are, their potential income and correlating it with spending habits etc

It's not really that far fetched to think someone would try such a thing? one of these data broker firms.

would it really be illegal to do such a thing if all the information they are collecting is in the public domain?

you can pretty much find a whole wealth of information on most people just from the a full name and city they live in, the people who aren't so net savvy and don't realise how vulnerable you can be on the internet.

from an email address you can potentially find out a persons name, then find out their real world addrress and everything about them. as some out spoken idiots on the internet have found out the hard way in the past

Soldato

I don't see how it's a positive thing, if companies want to cut down on waste paper, why use so many cardboard boxes? why use so much packaging. a few rolls of receipt paper aren't going to make a difference....
I'm not sure if you've bought anything recently, but the days of having a chunky manual to store the receipt in are long gone. Maybe to save weight and packaging?

Caporegime
kinda weird when I google about Ereceipts it seems all the media were passing them of as a good thing.. because now you don't need to keep a bag of receipts in your purse :confused:
like wtf theres very few things you would really want to keep receipts for in the first place, the things you would maybe claim a warranty on at some point.

Receipts fade in like a few weeks the edays

Man of Honour
Probably old fashioned, but then I’m old, I keep all Credit/Debit card receipts, then when a statement come in, I check the receipt against the amount on the statement, then shred the receipts.
There’s never been a discrepancy, but psychologically, I feel that I’m covering my ass.
Don’t all smirk, I ‘fessed up that I was old.

Back
Top Bottom