Would you purchase an ex rental car?

Associate
As per the title.

Looking round to buy a 3 series M Sport at the moment.

I have looked at a well priced 320d x drive msport with quite a few options on top. However it is from a car supermarket (I have always bought from main dealers previously) and after a bit of investigation it turns out to be an ex hire car.

Its less than 2 years old (so balance of bmw warranty on it) and has just been serviced at BMW. There are a few cosmetic marks but have been assured they can make good.

So the question is two fold really

Would you buy an ex hire car?

Would you buy from a car supermarket?

Soldato
I would not buy an ex-hire car.

I had a BMW rental earlier this year for 3 weeks, and I was not kind to it, on the basis it wasn't my car and I was handing it back, granted could look at it as if I should have treated it like I treat my own car, but it was a rental, meant I could have fun with it

Kimbie

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'm sure not everyone drives rental cars like I do, but I certainly wouldn't purchase an ex-rental. Many, many drivers and god knows how they have been driven. Avoid.

Associate
OP
I believe its an ex Enterprise hire car. To be honest I have walked away at the mo and looking at a slightly less spec and higher mileage car from a main bmw dealer (approved).

Before I go look at the main dealer car I thought I would see what others thought. However by the looks of things you are all thinking the same as me haha.

Soldato
You've not said how many miles are on it?

I.e. 10k on a 2 year ex-rental probably isn't so bad. 60k on a 2 year ex-rental is likely to be a no-no.

Soldato
Lol no.

Have you seen how people drive rental cars? The engine will almost certainly have been threashed from day 1. Also probably bent alloys and suspension parts from hard curbing by people who can't drive properly. A guy I used to work for would do burnouts and J-turns in the company carpark with rental cars (rolled one once, what a nutter) :p

If your buying used rep mobiles from dealers or big car sales places the chances are they are ex-fleet or rental cars. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Isn't there an argument that it would have always had anything it needed done immediately? Not saying I would buy one though

Soldato
It would have to be very cheap and I'd sell it on before the BMW warranty runs out.

As others have already stated, this car has been caned from cold every day of it's entire life along with being curbed regularly.

Associate
OP
personally no but depends on the price and saving involved against potential problems.

Have been reading up on this and quite a few people do indeed seem to think that ex hire cars are ok to buy, some would even argue still that they are better due to being expected regularly, serviced etc.

Some would argue that they may have been thrashed, smart repaired numerous times and to avoid.

I suppose 2nd hand is a minefield overall as you just dont know what you are getting.

The deal im talking about like for like, if it was from an approved BMW dealer would most likely be another 3 - 4k in total. Its an auto without the paddles so rules out massive damage to the clutch I suppose.

Oh, and the one I was going to buy from the approved dealer was sold yesterday!!!!!

Soldato
I had an ex rental car. It was 2 years old ford focus 1.6l manual. 40k on the clock. Full ford service history. V5 shows Hertz as previous owner. Costed me £5k from local ford dealership

The car was about £2-3k less than non ex rental car. It was spotless, no scratches, everything was working. I couldn't tell it was an ex rental.

Had it for 3 years, put in about 40k miles. Part exchanged it for £3.5k at dealership.

Most likely it was rented as a lease car to a customer for 24 months.

It was a risk I took but luckily it was a good car

Back
Top Bottom