Would you rather have £2m or 2m hours (228 years)?

Soldato
Most people's mental health deteriorates after 100 years. So good luck being a functional human in any sense after 200 years.

Money please.

Would you rather have £2m or 2m hours (228 years) without ageing?

Only on OcUK could someone say 2million pounds wouldnt go that far, just what planet do you live on?

Id take the money and if you dont think you can live off £2,000,000 for the rest of your life you're doing it wrong.

People you are reffering to are called wealthy. Few of them use this forum. For their lifestyle £2mil extra is nothing to be excited about compared to getting 228 years of life.

Man of Honour
For those of you who seem to think its hard to make money over 228 years.

700 Fold increase

The above story shows how barclays took £500k in 1928 and turned it onto £350m today, 85 years later!

As for £2m not being enough.. it all depends on what type of life you want.
If you want to live a workers life, then it'll be fine.. if you want to live a millionaires life, it'll be gone in < 5 years (Just look at Michael Carrol!)

Soldato
2million hours if I were to age normally and not age the same way as I currently do as I wouldn't want to spend a 100 odd years in a hospital bed doing nothing :p

Then I would be rich anyways as I would be the only human being to live to 228 and would be able to sell a book, interviews and such for millions ^.^

Soldato
OP
Is it guaranteed that i will live for 228 years with a functioning brain and body.

It is guaranteed that you won't age. But the risk of dying in an accident or from illness or whatever remains the same. But the fact you won't age should make you less likely to suffer illness anyway.

Soldato
Neither is gaining an additional 228 years of life...

You serious here? For people who are already fairly wealthy not ageing for 228 years is nothing to be excited about? Is this really the argument you want to go into?

I will explain in plain terms.

An wealthy individual is given option to:

1): Get £2mil at point A with x remaining years to live.
2): Get 228 years to make at at least £2mil in that time so that in 228 years the individual gained £2mil (in point A value), which would make option 1 equal option 2, as long as option 2 can generate more money it is the far superior option to take.

A wealthy individual can easily make investment that would get 2mil in that time, in fact investing merely £100k into stock market, given 4.1% real annual growth would yield over a billion pounds after 228 years (real return ie accounting or inflation). Should be noted that last 200 years in stock growth was 6.5-7% of real growth.

So going with option 2 for a wealthy individual will not only yield 500x more money but also 228 years to gain political/influential power and time to do anything they want by the time it hits point A.

Edit: to hit the nail on the head, you misquoted me, you missed out the "compared to getting 228 years of life", so if you want to be pedantic, it is a fair observation that a wealthy individual would be more excited about 228 years of life without ageing than two extra million.

Last edited:
Soldato
You serious here? For people who are already fairly wealthy not ageing for 228 years is nothing to be excited about? Is this really the argument you want to go into?
No its not exciting there is too much risk of it backfiring and problems involved. Unless its 228 years of mostly good life I would never take that option no matter how much money I had now.

It might sound exciting but you watch all your love ones and children die. You become famous having to deal with all that attention. You will most likely get the attention of many religious nuts making your life hell. Then there is the whole dating problem. There are just to many things that could go wrong and turn life into a hell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom