• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you return an Auros 3080Ti for this amount of coil whine?

Associate
Hi All,

I've had my Auros 3080Ti Master a few days now and I've been happy with the performance and thermals after undervolting. However, what is causing my ears to bleed is the damn coil whine. I've attached a video of it so you can see how bad it is. It only seems to happen while gaming. Note, this is Division 2 running maxed out at 144fps. I am really tempted to RMA the card as for nearly £1500 I would not expect this. Also, the RGB Fusion software is just plain broken so I am unable to actually change the RGB or the LCD display.

Soldato
Either your capture is poor or to me, the fans/ background noise is louder. CAn't say its distinguishable enough for me to say it's ear bleeding! But it must be bad to you. Do you play Division 2 with no sound effects or via speakers or headphones?

You say 144fps but at what resolution? Is it capped at 144 fps?

The trouble with whine is that it can also be the resonance of power delivery from your PSU.

Soldato
Sounds similar to my 3090. I had the same problem as you recording it as the fans drown it out to a certain extent when recording but not IRL.

Associate
OP
Either your capture is poor or to me, the fans/ background noise is louder. CAn't say its distinguishable enough for me to say it's ear bleeding! But it must be bad to you. Do you play Division 2 with no sound effects or via speakers or headphones?

You say 144fps but at what resolution? Is it capped at 144 fps?

The trouble with whine is that it can also be the resonance of power delivery from your PSU.

I did wonder if the video wouldn't pick up the noise! I normally play with headphones but sometimes I use speakers. It's running at 3440x1440 G-Sync @ 144Hz. It's the fact that the card cost a lot and with the RGB issues I am having I just wondering if I am putting up with too much for the price paid.

Sounds similar to my 3090. I had the same problem as you recording it as the fans drown it out to a certain extent when recording but not IRL.

Did your card settle down at all?

Soldato
I did wonder if the video wouldn't pick up the noise! I normally play with headphones but sometimes I use speakers. It's running at 3440x1440 G-Sync @ 144Hz. It's the fact that the card cost a lot and with the RGB issues I am having I just wondering if I am putting up with too much for the price paid.

Did your card settle down at all?

If you’re not happy I’d say try to return it, especially considering the price. Mine hasn’t really settled, ran it for about 24 hours on a continuous stress test when I got it and played CP2077 for about 75 hours and it’s still there.

I’m looking at RMA’ing mine or selling it. I should have done it when I got it last year but thought I could put up with it.

Associate
My issue is... I almost actively listen out for my cards coil whine now. I had a freind come over and try out CP2077, and he said he could barely hear the whine.
Yet to me... its annoying. Unless there is lots of game sounds like music etc, I can always hear it.

After changing the pads, the fans no longer drown it out. (Drove the devil out with Beelzebub!)

I have elected not to try my luck RMA'ing my card. It seems that most cards this generation sadly whine. Although it annoys me greatly, its not enough for me to want to go through the pain of RMA. Esp when there is a high chance the card I get back either whines as bad or worse.

I am not a fan of gaming with headphone sadly... otherwise that would solve my issue. They just get uncomfortable after even 1hr...
I did consider getting some In-ear buds, but not committed to buying any.

Ultimately its a very personal call. All things considered... I havent bothered because of the high amount of reports of whine on this gen, and the scarcity of GPUs in general.

At any other time, I would have returned this card to the retailer, and purchased a different model. (Suprim X is the one I keep thinking!)

EDIT: Mine also has not settled. The whine got ever so slighty better with an undervolt.
I have had it since April. Well over 300hrs game time since then, including really heavy titles like CP2077, Metro Enhanced etc.
I also had 3 different PSU's during that time. None made any difference to the whine.

So I dont hold out any hope for the whine to ever settle or improve.

Soldato
They are all pretty much the same from experience. Anyone who says "i dont have coil while" is simply lying.

Some are worse/better than others but you will never be free from it especially if you have a quiet system. Now 1000's of frame's screaming then no not normal. The coil whine/buzz you get from 60hz/120/144/165hz not much you can do about it. One reason i moved my case several feet away after going through probably 10 2080's/Ti's, multiple PSU's, boards, power conditoners.

IMO doesnt sound too bad to what ive had before. When you can hear it from outside your room then i'd worry (ive had a few cards like that XD). An undervolt from experience helps a lot in reducing coil whine.

Soldato
We should all go back to 80mm fans at 10,000 rpm. All these big quiet fans just allow you to hear coil whine. Also people have their PC's up on their desks so they can look at RGB which just means moving it up next to your head. Put them back on the floor for cooler air flow.

It's pone of those things like backlight bleed etc etc. There's always something that once you've been pointed to it - you look for it. When in fact you'd most likely never have noticed it before.

All my coil whine on many cards have in time died down over time. Stress testing will just perform a resonance to that work type, doesn't mean it'll quieten down other resonances with various games or menus when gaming. Setan fps cap on game menus too as this is when they can be loudest.

Watercooling or AIO's have also reduced or mitigated coil whine. PSU/water cooling - all added expenditure to negate a problem. Get a mate or Mrs to slap you on the ears for burst ear drums - cheapest I can think of. Wont hurt forever.

Soldato
The only time i get coil whine on mine is when its running ridiculous FPS like 3000 fps on a menu screen! Only recently noticed it when i tried Mad max and the fps wasn't capped.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone. I've ordered another PSU as my one was 8 years old so I'll see if that helps things. I'll also try undervolting a bit more. I've 28 days before I can easily return it.

Associate
No. That is very minor.

watch

Have a look at 6800xt and 6900xt coil whine if you want to know what's bad.

Soldato
Also, the RGB Fusion software is just plain broken so I am unable to actually change the RGB or the LCD display.
Try opening it, then putting your PC into sleep mode and waking it back up again. I had the same issue where RGB Fusion just plain wouldn't work for me and found that solution on Reddit, which somehow fixed it (whereas nothing else including rebooting would).

Back
Top Bottom