• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you sell a GPU on ebay now?

Pet Northerner
Don
I want to sell my 3070, whats the best way to do this avoiding Ebay? I see someone mentioned selling on here but couldnt find it :(

You need to have 1k posts and 6 months of membership to gain access to the MM here.

Your best bet is Cash on collection on FB / Gumtree or if you have an FE, try CEX. I took my 3080FE there to sell and it was completely hassle free.

Associate
I've loads of gpus and lots of other computer parts on ebay, take good photos, showing any anti tamper stickers intact, clearly show the serial number too, once sold, check the buyers details and give them a "thank you call" let them know, you know your stuff and maybe offer some help over the phone, if the buyer is new to fitting a graphics card... Works for me every time.

Permabanned
I've loads of gpus and lots of other computer parts on ebay, take good photos, showing any anti tamper stickers intact, clearly show the serial number too, once sold, check the buyers details and give them a "thank you call" let them know, you know your stuff and maybe offer some help over the phone, if the buyer is new to fitting a graphics card... Works for me every time.

I think its more that those people were genuine than you helping them stopped it from happening. Ive had it happen with £40 and £50 stuff so for me the risk is too great with tech that costs this much money.

Associate
I'm sure there are lots of genuine buyers on the bay (i buy things on there occasionally myself), but when there is an opportunity for people to make money or gain an advantage by 'scamming' then it will attract a small percentage of unscrupulous buyers who drawn to the opportunity. If you are willing to take the risk of running in to one of these people, there are good prices to be obtained by those looking to sell, but personally I wouldn't take the risk with a desirable commodity like a graphics card.

Associate
just thought id add my little bit, few months ago I had a chargeback done to me on eBay for a gfx card I sold. filed a police report, then eventually eBay got back to me with an account that got compromised and to not contact the account owner. it was sent to the address on the eBay account and now I have got a response back from the fraud police (4 months later) and they won't be taking it any further. So I will advise all to not sell on eBay. I don't even sell online, just getting rid of a card that was sitting on a shelf.

Associate
I'd only accept cash on collection when selling high value items on eBay, yes it does restrict your market but its a price worth paying imho. What you can also do is offer to help the buyer install the GPU in their PC (because they can bring that with them) that way the buyer can see they aren't being scammed themselves everyone knows where they stand and no arguments or disputes can possibly come of it.

Man of Honour
I sold two cards on ebay and (touch wood) the transactions went OK, but these were on the cheaper end of the spectrum. e.g. I had a RX480 that was over 4 years old in my son's PC, decided to cash in whilst prices were inflated.
For modern high end cards I'd be a bit more wary.
if you have an FE, try CEX. I took my 3080FE there to sell and it was completely hassle free.
3070 cash prices are abysmal on CeX now, £364 for FE (over £100 less than MRSP). I think I'd rather take my chances on an online marketplace where you could get more than MRSP albeit with a small percentage chance of being scammed. E.g. say you could clear £500 after shipping and fees, even if there was a 15% chance of being scammed, on average you'd still be better off than using CeX.

Pet Northerner
Don
I sold two cards on ebay and (touch wood) the transactions went OK, but these were on the cheaper end of the spectrum. e.g. I had a RX480 that was over 4 years old in my son's PC, decided to cash in whilst prices were inflated.
For modern high end cards I'd be a bit more wary.

3070 cash prices are abysmal on CeX now, £364 for FE (over £100 less than MRSP). I think I'd rather take my chances on an online marketplace where you could get more than MRSP albeit with a small percentage chance of being scammed. E.g. say you could clear £500 after shipping and fees, even if there was a 15% chance of being scammed, on average you'd still be better off than using CeX.

Not surprised now people are cashing out. However my 3080 was about 1200 cash at the time of my post so made sense then :)

Associate
Unsure if I can post this here so understood if its deleted however Avforums.com have a very good classified section with reputation etc for buyers and sellers. Never had an issue on there, although I have never had and issue with Ebay apart from once someone in Greece trying to buy my broken mobile without understanding it was broken.

Associate
just thought id add my little bit, few months ago I had a chargeback done to me on eBay for a gfx card I sold. filed a police report, then eventually eBay got back to me with an account that got compromised and to not contact the account owner. it was sent to the address on the eBay account and now I have got a response back from the fraud police (4 months later) and they won't be taking it any further. So I will advise all to not sell on eBay. I don't even sell online, just getting rid of a card that was sitting on a shelf.

If the buyers account was compromised that's Ebays responsibility. If you followed the Ebay guidelines when you sold the card then you have the ability to make claim. I have had this issue twice in the past and have had my money refunded in full but not postage costs.

Associate
I would only sell what I’m willing to lose in a scam. A cheap gpu for under £200 then fair enough, anything more I’ll look to sell in person or cex. I sold a few to cex I. The last year and I did lose out on some extra profit but I had zero risk of losing it.

Associate
I've been tempted to try ebay but there's too many horror stories.

How does insisting on collection and then asking for a bank transfer normally work out? Do most buyers want to use paypal for protection? I'd be paranoid of a dodgy claim you see....

Looking to sell my 3090 and definitely looking at Facebook/eBay collection

I'm curious as to why you're selling up? New card?

Associate
I've been tempted to try ebay but there's too many horror stories.

How does insisting on collection and then asking for a bank transfer normally work out? Do most buyers want to use paypal for protection? I'd be paranoid of a dodgy claim you see....

I'm curious as to why you're selling up? New card?
prob wants to sel it now before the arse falls out of the used market in a month

Back
Top Bottom