• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you sell a GPU on ebay now?

Associate
I'm currently working with a retailer that sells PC's online and they sometimes get PC's returned with entire new interiors or simply GPUs removed.

Human beings are just the worst.

This is terrible, however I would really hope that this is a very small minority of people. I still believe that most are honest and decent human beings.

Soldato
I'm currently working with a retailer that sells PC's online and they sometimes get PC's returned with entire new interiors or simply GPUs removed.

Human beings are just the worst.

Reminds me of the Amazon Warehouse scam. Have you broken something you value? Want a free replacement? Then order the same item from Amazon Warehouse and return the broken one!

There was a chap on the Oculus Quest Reddit yesterday complaining that he'd scratched the lenses on his headset, and was contemplating returning it to the retailer as "damaged on delivery". I guess people see this stuff as victimless crime because there's a faceless entity footing the bill...

Caporegime
Reminds me of the Amazon Warehouse scam. Have you broken something you value? Want a free replacement? Then order the same item from Amazon Warehouse and return the broken one!

There was a chap on the Oculus Quest Reddit yesterday complaining that he'd scratched the lenses on his headset, and was contemplating returning it to the retailer as "damaged on delivery". I guess people see this stuff as victimless crime because there's a faceless entity footing the bill...

Or just order from amazon and do the same thing, odds are the warehouse item will already have been swapped over.:p

Soldato
Or just order from amazon and do the same thing, odds are the warehouse item will already have been swapped over.:p

Amazon check serial numbers at random now. If the serial number of the item in the box doesn't match the serial number on the box and the product shipped from their warehouse new, there's a good chance you aren't getting a refund. Seen quite a few sob stories about this. They don't automatically return the item to the customer either, leaving the scammer in a materially worse position than they started in.

Warehouse is open season. They can't really say for sure that the serial numbers matched when the items shipped.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Amazon check serial numbers at random now. If the serial number of the item in the box doesn't match the serial number on the box and the product shipped from their warehouse new, there's a good chance you aren't getting a refund. Seen quite a few sob stories about this. They don't automatically return the item to the customer either, leaving the scammer in a materially worse position than they started in.

Warehouse is open season. They can't really say for sure that the serial numbers matched when the items shipped.

Few years back i bought a 980ti strix from amazon new and inside the box was an old gtx 580, knew something was off right away as the box felt far too light for the size of the card. Just shows they do sell some returns as new.

Associate
Few years back i bought a 980ti strix from amazon new and inside the box was an old gtx 580, knew something was off right away as the box felt far too light for the size of the card. Just shows they do sell some returns as new.
Or maybe it got swapped out during the delivery process? These days most high value boxes have seals on them so you would know if it was tampered with.

Caporegime
Or maybe it got swapped out during the delivery process? These days most high value boxes have seals on them so you would know if it was tampered with.

Doubt it very much, the amazon box was fine it had that tape they use that has the threads through it that makes it obvious if its been opened or not. The actual gpu boxes they only occasionally have little sticker tabs on the end which are easy to peel up and stick down again to make it look like its not been opened. To me it definitely looked like a return that was stuck back on the shelf as new.

GPU aib's should really have some kind of shrink wrap over the boxes with their logo all over so it should make it obvious if its been opened or not. Considering the price of the cards they've no reason not to.

Associate
And then you take them to court, taking up hours of your time (only for Paypal to not dispute the claim anyway) and then you write to your MP telling them this needs to change and then you set up a "Paypal is bad" website and then you spend hours queuing on the phone try to get Paypal to remove a credit default, all the while being turned down for credit everywhere you go. All to "stick it to the company" when you could have avoided being in that position anyway by not flogging a GPU on Ebay.

I'm not saying it's wrong to challenge, but some battles aren't worth fighting.

No you don’t take them to court that’s silly you report them to the ICO and the regulator as a complaint, let them handle it.

I think you are right to say ‘some battles aren’t worth fighting’ that is a very valid point and tbh exactly how PayPal will look at when reviewing a case. Now you could well get your account frozen and suspended but hey so what if you’ve done nothing wrong stuff em just use a new account or don’t use them at all which is kind of what others were saying earlier....

Associate
Why would you refund them at all, there is no mechanism for that to happen except via the buyer and seller talking to one another and agreeing it themselves or for the buyer to take legal action against the seller via the small claims court. Which no ‘scammer’ is going to do because as much as anything its simply not worth their time. Obviously if someone has a legitimate issue then you try to sort it out but we aren’t talking about that here are we its people who are deliberately committing fraud/theft and try to use the processes of eBay and PayPal to their advantage. That is why the value of the item is important and you are more likely to have issues with the sale of a £600 GPU vs. £200

My point is , that if that deal is collection only ,but they pay by PayPal or if the buyer missed the collection only part of the deal and you refund then ,you will not get back the PayPal fees ....some collection only ,do state in the listing ,cash on collection,even though there is no payment option of cash on collection...which I personally think is wrong .

Associate
Problem with this is console is just as bad, got to overpay for games and online the only good thing is you can sell physical disks still but how long will that last now with digital only editions? You can still get a low end gaming PC with a GTX 1650 for £400 which isn't bad.

Using a combination of Geforce Now, Google Stadia and Oculus Quest 2.

PC long gone.

Soldato
Has it become the scammers paradise? Not talking about selling a 3xxx series card but even older cards. As ebay in most cases sides with the buyer I think there will be a massive increase in buyers claiming that the card was damaged etc.

I attempted to sell a GTX950 the other week. It got bid to £78 and then eBay removed the listing.

We had to cancel bids for the buyer, gacow_8195, because they aren't registered on eBay: - Evga Geforce GTX 950 2GB Graphics Card GPU

Not registered but able to cast the winning bid. Work that one out.

I use eBay as an absolute last resort. I've decided to leave the 950 to gather dust in the garage and the same applies to the Asus Strix 1070 that I have spare. I just CBA with the hassle of selling tech right now, it's like dealing with junkies.

G J

G J

Associate
I attempted to sell a GTX950 the other week. It got bid to £78 and then eBay removed the listing.

Not registered but able to cast the winning bid. Work that one out.

I use eBay as an absolute last resort. I've decided to leave the 950 to gather dust in the garage and the same applies to the Asus Strix 1070 that I have spare. I just CBA with the hassle of selling tech right now, it's like dealing with junkies.

Maybe it was for the best as the account may have been terminated/hijacked. Surely you could relist but I get the frustration with selling.

Loads of people like myself looking for cards in the wanted section in the MM as the gpu situation sucks at the moment.

Unless one wants to massively overpay on a new card your stuck waiting for drops and racing to buy then get denied or playing the F5 spam game again and again just to be denied.

The second hand market is just as bad with everywhere I check everything that isnt massively overpriced gets hoovered up within minutes, sometimes under 60 seconds. Some people arnt content with just getting one card they need 2,3+ for whatever reasons I guess its for "friends".

Soldato
The second hand market is just as bad with everywhere I check everything that isnt massively overpriced gets hoovered up within minutes, sometimes under 60 seconds. Some people arnt content with just getting one card they need 2,3+ for whatever reasons I guess its for "friends".

Like I said, it's like dealing with junkies.

Associate
My point is , that if that deal is collection only ,but they pay by PayPal or if the buyer missed the collection only part of the deal and you refund then ,you will not get back the PayPal fees ....some collection only ,do state in the listing ,cash on collection,even though there is no payment option of cash on collection...which I personally think is wrong .

Ah yes I see what you mean, yeah I agree plus you also put yourself at risk with a PayPal collection because the only proof their system accepts is signed for postage to the address of the PayPal account no others.

Back
Top Bottom