Would you SLAP your child..?

Soldato
I'd rather avoid slapping my kids when i have em, though i would never say i won't slap them; if they do something really bad i wouldn't hesitate.

I've always felt it's a more effective tool if used rarely tbh, it's far more useful when used to shock the child than hurt them if you see what i mean.

Permabanned
I wouldn't slap a child around the face but I would give them a smack on the back of the legs if they had been appropriately naughty. It's the way we've been bringing up children for millennia so why should it suddenly be wrong now?

Man of Honour
parentweb1.jpg

From "Maddox's" website, I deffo can't link it.

Soldato
Yes boss, a slap does fine. Beating children or hurting them is wrong though.

EDIT: Slapping didn't work for me, I still don't know how to behave.
eg: I spend my free time as a geek on a forum.

Soldato
Children react differently, some are more sensitive than others. Depending on frequency, it could cause long-term damage.

I remember my dad laying into my sister and I ( 6 and 7 years old ) with a belt because we were playing and laughing during his afternoon nap. There were two closed doors and a large hallway between us. :confused:

I grew up fearing and hating my dad. Many years later, I still resent him for my less than stellar childhood.

Associate
I currently don't have any kids, but when I do.. I will do as above, reward good behaviour, and they will get a slap for something bad... it's a good way for a kid to learn.

I was smacked when I was younger, and I learned real quick.

Associate
If your child is scared of you... or is scared that he / she would be in BIG trouble if they done something bad / naughty - Is that such a bad thing?

I would NEVER want my child to be scared of me, that might help with the 'being naughty' but could/would cause so many other problems.

somtimes a slap is needed it doesnt need to be hard and it should be rarely used.

even a soft slap to a child who generally never gets hit by the parents will be enough to shock them.

This sums it up perfectly for me. My son is 10 and I can only ever remember slapping him once. I would never slap the face, just the backside.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Probably the only time I would think of doing it is to get immediate attention if the child was putting herself in harms way. I am not really sure of the point of doing it as a punishment when there are so many more effective ways to punish a child. I would say that if you have got to the point where the only way to discipline your child is to hit them, then something has gone wrong.

Anyone other than me actually got kids in this thread? You have no idea how you will treat them until you have them. If you think its ok to smack them, then I am glad they are yours and and I am not. It's not ok to hit a child, no matter what. I only have to give my kids a look and they behave. It's all about how you bring them up. Bring them up to respect you and you will not have discipline problems.

Permabanned
Anyone other than me actually got kids in this thread? You have no idea how you will treat them until you have them. If you think its ok to smack them, then I am glad they are yours and and I am not. It's not ok to hit a child, no matter what. I only have to give my kids a look and they behave. It's all about how you bring them up. Bring them up to respect you and you will not have discipline problems.

I interpret that as you saying that parents who smacked their children are somehow worse parents than you? Or that children that have been smacked are somehow especially naughty?

What?

Man of Honour
Whenever I thought the situation required, yes. I've only really smacked the young un once. He'd run into the road without even a cursory glance at what was coming.

He hasn't done it since.

Associate
I've only had to smack my daughter 2 times ever (she's 3.) once was on the bottom and once on the hand...I didn't really hit her hard either, as I'm a big softie....

Only the bottom or hand are ok in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom