Would you tell your boss....

Soldato
... your bored of your job.

This is a serious question by the way.

I am so so bored of my job, I cannot find one thing I like about it. My boss keeps ranting on about how the stuff we are doing is great and keep pushing for more, but the honest truth is, I don't wanna push for more because it is not in the slightest bit interesting or technical. The job was advertised as a technical role but it is ALL admin work.

This is having a fairly bad affect on me as because I am so bored of my job, I have found myself not doing it properly. I know this isn't the correct attitude to take but I really am struggling.

I'm not sure how I should approach this, or if I should bother at all. I feel if I do tell him i'm bored, he will just try and pick fault with everything I do and it will be pretty obvious I am looking elsewhere for work. If I don't tell him though, I might just go insane.

Associate
i woud say if you are that bored then look for another job... secure that then tell your boss that you are not happy. If they value you then they might make changes for you but if not then at least you can leave knowing you have another job.

this is what i did and i got another salery rise out of it.

Soldato
I told my boss that in not so many words, basically that I wasn't enjoying work etc. 2 weeks later I had a new job (currently in my 3rd week of notice period)

I would say that you're clearly not happy there, you will feel so much better if you just go out and look for another job. It is what I did and I am so happy for doing it now. I can't wait to get started at my new place :)

Look for jobs on reed.co.uk or just go to an agency. THe important thing is taking that first step to leaving a job that you're clearly not happy in.

Associate
If you tell your boss, is there a possibility you could be moved to another department or given another task? If not, I wouldn't tell him. Just look for another job ASAP.

What is your job out of interest?

Soldato
OP
Simmy said:
If you tell your boss, is there a possibility you could be moved to another department or given another task? If not, I wouldn't tell him. Just look for another job ASAP.

What is your job out of interest?

I work on an IT helpdesk. I moved internally for this job as it was advertised as a technical role that would involve As/400 and Oracle fixes.

Yea ok we do As/400 fixes but it is simply following instructions and running queries. Nothing technical at all.

I would like to stay in IT and am currently doing an MCP in Server 2003.

I am looking for jobs but not having much luck really.

No chance of moving internally as we have just made 25 ppl redundant.

Associate
Go talk to your boss. You may find out that he/she really values you and may go out of their way to sort you out with a better job. I know, since I was in your position only a few months ago. 2 pay increases and a new role later, its all looking good. It happend to a friend too. He got another job then went in to hand in his notice. They were shocked that he wanted to leave, so they offered him a new job (he went from IT helpdesk, to being involved heavily in coding etc) and a 10k pay rise.

Soldato
Be careful what you say, especially if 25 people have been made redundant and there's nowhere else internally to go. If lay offs are a possibility the last thing you need to do is draw negative attention to your self! Rather than say your bored, i'd go down the line of saying its not challenging or demanding enough. But if there really are no other internal vacancies i'dkeep my head down and keep looking for something else.

Soldato
I told my old boss I was bored. :) Saying that though, I would quite happily go over and sit on his desk to chat to him, citing my reason as "I'm bored so I've come to annoy you". :p

Soldato
is there something else you can do in the dept you moved to?

was the previous role you did prior to moving more enjoyable for you?

you are the best person to answer the question in terms of whether there is something more challenging for you to do since you moved...

in terms of speaking with your boss I would say its a 50 - 50 in the event you said something it could back fire or alternatively it may work out your way and they may find you more challenging things to do....again truely i would say only you can make that call...

alternatively all the others who have mentioned telling their boss was great thing to do was their luck, thats the way their cookie crumbled but in the event it didnt work your way then how would that make you feel???

I guess you need to be a sneaky and find out what others around you are doing? if only you are being treated in this way, or is everyone in your dept in the same boat? similarly is it something all the newbs to the dept have to do?

I do sympathise with you though, Im so fed up with my job Im constantly seeking new opportunities because I work with older people who think and treat me like a robot, instead of improving the way they work they prefer following tried and testing methods, i mean we have meetings where only the manager speaks and if we speak OMG he throws a wobbly lol fe real lol...so i cant wait to get out, fortunately i havent been here long and feel im on my way out any day now...i cant rise cuz its such a small firm and to be honest i wouldnt want to...this is the first job ive had that ive had to work like this and with such muppets...theres only 4 of them, half the time I just take the mick of out them lol

anyway good luck, scope it out and then act accordingly...

Soldato
Yes you should, if you are bored then you are better than the job you are doing as you simply are not being taxed.

Back
Top Bottom