Would you work for nothing?

Associate
They shouldn't be allowed to turn it down. They are either seeking a job so that they get job seekers allowance and want an opportunity like this or they are not seeking a job and should get no benefits or job placements.

And if they have things like interviews to attend in said week, then what?

Soldato
Never seen Jobcentre Plus\DWP actually do anything about this themselves, always farmed out to some ridiculous "training provider" at obscene rates. Takes a year of seeking work before that happens too :rolleyes:

Soldato
It's only a week and you're still eligible for benefits; probably a great opportunity for networking with a potential new employer and highlights that you're willing to put something 'extra' in to obtain a job; show eagerness!

I often 'work for free' in a way, undertaking additional work on projects with no financial renumeration - however the additional works produced often greatly helps the overall project and benefits my reputation and brings in 'ad hoc' business down the line.

If I was in a position of unemployment, with nothing 'coming up' then I'd give a week's trial a go :)

Then i'll become the norm in industry to only have to pay people 51 weeks out of the 1st year.

Same as the YTS scheme. It's a con and a stupid one at that!

Man of Honour
No. You want me to work for you, even as a "trial", you pay me at my day rate.

You still get paid at the rate you would as a jobseeker. Although I'm guessing your day rate is higher than Jobseekers Allowance that's not really the point here, if you're looking for a job and signed on then you are no worse off except that you actually have to work rather than prove you've been trying to find a job.

I don't get it. What is the point?

If it's a guaranteed job, then it isn't really a trial. So what is the point of not getting paid for the first week?

It's not a guaranteed job beyond the week, that's why it is a trial period. If it works out between you and the potential employer then they can choose to employ you, if it doesn't work out then either side is presumably free to walk away.

You do get paid for the first week by the Job Centre but not directly by the employer. The most obvious benefits are that if it works out then the Job Centre gets you off their books, you've got a job and the employer gets someone that they've had a chance to try out - if it doesn't work out then no one is worse off; the Job Centre would still have been paying you anyway, you've neither gained nor lost on the deal except that you've tried something and may be able to put it on your CV and the company has had the benefit of trying out a worker who may prove (un)suitable.

Man of Honour
If you can arrange it. I'm not sure many companies which work only Monday to Friday would like that.

So work say Wednesday to Wednesday if you've got interviews on the Monday and Tuesday of the first week - why assume that you must start work on a Monday and work until the Friday, in fact why assume that they week worked has to be contiguous? You could just as easily work Monday, Tuesday, interview Wednesday then resume working through to Tuesday of the following week.

Soldato
Right, the way I see it, it isn't working for nothing. It is working to still receive your benefits.

So, to be blunt, it's moot. You don't work (for just one week TO TRY AND GET A JOB) to receive your (JOB SEEKERS) benefits, you don't receive your benefits. End of.

CBJ

CBJ

Associate
Where I used to work, we once received an advertising flyer with "Free Employee for a Month!" plastered across it. We were in dire need of an extra pair of hands at the time but couldn't afford to take the risk of hiring someone who might not turn out to be any good at the job, even via the normal probationary period system. However, since this person was offering to work for free we took them up on their offer. At the end of the month the person had proven themselves to be useful and we still had work for them so we offered them a permanent job. We got help in a sticky situation and they got a new career out of it (the person concerned still has a job there some 14 years later), which they really needed following redundancy and a lack of new opportunities in their old one.

Moral of the story: if you need a break badly enough then, yes, it is worth a try. Don't go into it thinking you're giving your prospective employer something for nothing, as you stand to benefit at least as much as they do, but obviously also don't allow yourself to be taken advantage of either.

Soldato
I'd definitely do it at the moment presuming its in the area of work I'd like to go into. I'm currently being denied jobs due to lack of experience, a week of unpaid work would give me a chance to proove myself, and gain some experience.
Being jobless sucks.

Caporegime
Roll on to now and one of my colleagues works in conjunction with the Jobcentre with things called Work Trials which is exactly the same as above.
The Jobcentre send people to us for a guaranteed job but they work free for a week but they still get their benefits.
Once again about 50% of people are turning it down.

Of the 50% who don't turn it down, how many go on to obtain full time employment at your place and how many are judged unsuitable?

I'm sorry but I think you're being very naive if you think that this wouldn't be abused. If I were in that situation I wouldn't work for free, instead I'd use my time off to find a proper job.

Soldato
It's not a guaranteed job beyond the week, that's why it is a trial period. If it works out between you and the potential employer then they can choose to employ you, if it doesn't work out then either side is presumably free to walk away.

You do get paid for the first week by the Job Centre but not directly by the employer. The most obvious benefits are that if it works out then the Job Centre gets you off their books, you've got a job and the employer gets someone that they've had a chance to try out - if it doesn't work out then no one is worse off; the Job Centre would still have been paying you anyway, you've neither gained nor lost on the deal except that you've tried something and may be able to put it on your CV and the company has had the benefit of trying out a worker who may prove (un)suitable.

Ok, makes sense now. Seems like a good idea and yes I would do it if I was really struggling to find work or I really wanted the job in question.

Don
It's only a week and you're still eligible for benefits; probably a great opportunity for networking with a potential new employer and highlights that you're willing to put something 'extra' in to obtain a job; show eagerness!

I often 'work for free' in a way, undertaking additional work on projects with no financial renumeration - however the additional works produced often greatly helps the overall project and benefits my reputation and brings in 'ad hoc' business down the line.

If I was in a position of unemployment, with nothing 'coming up' then I'd give a week's trial a go :)

This, I'd jump at the opportunity

Soldato
See this is why so many people who are unemployed stay that way.

Some over exaggerat sense of "pride" which they feel gives them the right to expect everything when the give nothing.

If you have no job, any oppertunity should be taken, even if its not perfect it is a job that can lead to a better job. Instead people go on about deserving better.

It's 5 days, still on benefits, and at the end it could lead to a new job, as the saying goes, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Associate
When I finished uni I worked for a couple of months for free as work experience, I made plenty of new contacts, got some experience and showed I was willing.

Back
Top Bottom