Would you work for nothing?

Man of Honour
if there was a job at the end of it?

In 2007, 619 of us were made redundant from Indesit/Creda and one of the ideas was for other companies to try us for a week then give us a job if we both agreed.
We would still get our Indesit wages but let go early if the new company wanted us there & then.
I thought it was a fantastic idea but 95% of the workforce voted against it because it meant the other company was getting us for 'free' and what was to the stop them just getting a new worker in every week (of course this wouldn't happen).

Roll on to now and one of my colleagues works in conjunction with the Jobcentre with things called Work Trials which is exactly the same as above.
The Jobcentre send people to us for a guaranteed job but they work free for a week but they still get their benefits.
Once again about 50% of people are turning it down.

I hope that when my contract comes to an end that I have an opportunity like this because I would snap their hands off.

Associate
Me too ! My TPW - If your not working and are given an opportunity to prove yourself to somebody that is looking to Employ....... Jump straight in!

Some people are so anal about stuff like this!

Soldato
It's only a week and you're still eligible for benefits; probably a great opportunity for networking with a potential new employer and highlights that you're willing to put something 'extra' in to obtain a job; show eagerness!

I often 'work for free' in a way, undertaking additional work on projects with no financial renumeration - however the additional works produced often greatly helps the overall project and benefits my reputation and brings in 'ad hoc' business down the line.

If I was in a position of unemployment, with nothing 'coming up' then I'd give a week's trial a go :)

Associate
I would for a genuine company. The problem lies in the benefits system, because unless a placement is organised with the blessing of the Job Centre, you can't claim JSA. As this is very bureaucratic it puts many companies off offering such placements.

Soldato
No absolutely not as employers are more than likely to take the **** and go back on their word when the free work period is up.

There would be no point to this if the job was anything even half skilled. In the short time frame you would be working you barely be trained in the tasks you were to perform. For an employer to receive a free employee of the week and expect any sort of reasonable standard from the work would be unrealistic.

If you don't work out, fine you don't get the job but otherwise it's a chance for you to prove to the employer you are in fact capable.

Associate
Absolutley yes.

I got made redundant about 5 years ago and set about becoming a lazy dosser. Local fella wanted a hand with his business but couldn't afford wages, I cleared it (eventually) with local jobcentre for me to go and help him to get me out of the rut and it really worked. He got "free" labour for a bit and I got up off of my arse, jobcentre got me off of their books after about 3 weeks as I was offered full time work through contacts I made working for free.

Must admit that the jobcentre were a pain in the butt about it in the begining as they insisted that this kind of thing wouldn't work; had to go in to have a "chat" at stupid times of the day.

Soldato
I would like a trial period in a job to prove my skills as interviews doesn't give you the scope of your abilities in such little time. Plus proves the skills you claim to have.

Man of Honour
It seems like a perfectly reasonable idea on the face of it, companies get to try the worker, the worker gets to try the company. If a company was found to be repeatedly taking people for a weeks work and then never employing anyone i.e. getting labour for "free" all the time then they should obviously be removed from the scheme but I can't imagine it is all that likely to happen. The worker isn't working for free either, it's just that their income source isn't the company who they are working for during the trial so really I don't see what they have to lose at all.

Soldato
The Jobcentre send people to us for a guaranteed job but they work free for a week but they still get their benefits.
Once again about 50% of people are turning it down.

They shouldn't be allowed to turn it down. They are either seeking a job so that they get job seekers allowance and want an opportunity like this or they are not seeking a job and should get no benefits or job placements.

Back
Top Bottom