WOW!..turning off cleartype in Vista makes it look better!

Soldato
If you have a LCD try this below.

1. Right click desktop, click personalize.
2. Click "windows colour and appearence"
3. Click "Open classic appearance properties for more color options."
4. Click effects.
5. Uncheck "Use the following method to smooth screen fonts"

Also
1. Right-click Computer icon on desktop
2. Click "Advanced System Settings"
3. Click the first "Settings" button (under Performance)
4. Uncheck "Smooth edges of screen fonts"
5. Click OK

Looks a lot better to me now.

Associate
Elevon said:

4. Click effects.

Also
5. Click OK

have you been on the sauce again! :D

Permabanned
I think most of us know how to turn off cleartype thanks ;)

It is personal preference. Many people including myself prefer it on (and have been using it for years in XP).

Soldato
dirtydog said:
I think most of us know how to turn off cleartype thanks ;)

It is personal preference. Many people including myself prefer it on (and have been using it for years in XP).

I certainly prefer it with it on - the text is massively more readable. It probably depends somewhat upon your LCD, and in addition if you're very used to using Windows without it it looks very strange when it's first turned on. Before turning it off, I'd suggest you "put up with it" for a week or so, then test your reading & comprehension speed with it on or off - I'd be very surprised if you were better without it.

Associate
Elevon said:

4. Click effects.

Also
5. Click OK

I have to disagree with you there. Mine looks much better with both ON. Running a CRT at 100Hz.

Caporegime
csmager said:
MS has one before and after example. Can't honestly understand how having it off is better:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

Ok i'll explain it for you in as simple terms as possible. Having it on gives text a blurry and hazy quality to it, which in my case causes strain on my eyes and reading it is uncomfortable after longer periods of time. With it off, text appears pin sharp to me and I can read for ages without any bother beyondd what a monitor usually does to your eyes.

I can't stand it with that feature on. I've tried it many, many times and I always end up turning it off.

Permabanned
Richdog said:
Ok i'll explain it for you in as simple terms as possible. Having it on gives text a blurry and hazy quality to it, which in my case causes strain on my eyes and reading it is uncomfortable after longer periods of time. With it off, text appears pin sharp to me and I can read for ages without any bother beyondd what a monitor usually does to your eyes.

I can't stand it with that feature on. I've tried it many, many times and I always end up turning it off.
Does text in newspapers and books look pixellated and jagged, the same way text in Windows does with cleartype turned off? No :)

The Segoe UI default font in Vista looks especially crap without cleartype.

Caporegime
gareth170 said:
it just depends on your monitor... simple as that

I've tried it on a 17" LCD, a 19" LCD, and a 20.1" widescreen LCD. Sucked each time.

dirtydog said:
Does text in newspapers and books look pixellated and jagged, the same way text in Windows does with cleartype turned off? No :).

dirtydog once more you need to think a little more before posting... you're comparing a newspaper with a monitor. Two completely different effects on the eyes, not even comparable in this situation. :)

Permabanned
Richdog said:
dirtydog once more you need to think a little more before posting... you're comparing a newspaper with a monitor. Two completely different effects on the eyes, not even comparable in this situation. :)
Not comparable because...? They both contain text that you read. What is the difference? :)

Back
Top Bottom