wozza2k's pursuit of vanity

Associate
Originally posted this in the Gym Rats thread but thought an actual log maybe more suited to keep track of everything.

So I am about 5ft 9 and back in September I hit the 85kg mark and was getting a bit on the podgy side so I decided to join the gym and make some lifestyle changes to be try and be more active.

Fast-forward to today and I am currently weighing about 78/79kg, this was achieved via a combination of resistance work and cardio as well as keeping the calorie count to below 2k.

Now that I am looking a little better I thought maybe I should be looking to achieve other goals....

This is me today:

060113.jpg

And this is what I am kind of aiming for:

4a65e9e65ee6a.jpg

So I've picked up a routine I found online which looked pretty good to me but I am not sure whether this is actually suited to my needs as such so am looking for advice on whether this is actually suited.

Workout 1 - Chest, Tris and Calves

Bench Press - 4 x 10-12
Incline Bench Press - 3 x 10-12
Chest Flye - 3 x 10-12
Triceps Pulldown - 3 x 10-12
Cable Triceps Extension - 3 x 10-12
Cable Overhead Triceps Extension 3 x 10-12
Standing Calf Raise 4 x 25-30
Seated Calf Raise 4 x 25-30

Workout 2 -Back, Biceps, Abs

Dumbbell Bent-Over Row 4 x 12-15
Cable row - 3 x 12-15
Wide-Grip Pulldown 3 x 12-15
DB curl 4 x 12-15
One-Arm High Cable Curl 3 x 12-15
Hip Thrust 3 x 20-30*
Crunch 3 x 20-30*
Oblique Crunch 3 x 20-30*

Workout 3 - Shoulders, Traps, Calves

Dumbbell Overhead Press 4 x 12-15
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 x 12-15
One-Arm Cable Front Raise 3 x 12-15
Seated Calf Raise 4 x 25-30
Leg Press Calf Raise 4 x 25-30

Workout 4 - Legs and Abs
Squat 4 x 12-15
One-Leg Leg Press 3 x 12-15
Leg Extension 3 x 12-15
Romanian Deadlift 4 x 12-15
Lying Leg Curl 3 x 12-15
Hip Thrust 3 x 20-30*
Crunch 3 x 20-30*
Plank 3 x 1 minute

The workouts are supposed to be 4 weekly 'microcycles' where the weight increases each week with the rep going down accordingly. Ab work also changes accordingly.

Caporegime
Yep, needs deads in there.

Seems like someone wrote that up by just the exercises they knew in their head.

Up to yourself of course, but as a beginner you'd benefit on choosing a few exercises and doing more effort on them.

I only do 2-4 different exercises each session.

Man of Honour
Romanian deadlift is not deadlift.

It sounds pedant, but they are different exercises, the latter being more 'all encompassing'.

Associate
OP
I've amended my routine to be more what is recommended on Gordy's guide.

WO1

Flat Dumbbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Bench
Cable Tricep Extension
Cable Pushdown

Seated Dumbbell Military Press
Lateral Dumbbell Raises

WO2

Dead lifts
Dumbbell Rows
Chin Ups / Cable Lat Pulldown
Dumbbell hammer Curls

WO3

Squats
Dumbbell Lunges
Calf Raises
Abdominal workouts

In Gordy's guide the shoulder press and lat raises (which have been bolded) is put into the same day as Chest/Tri's but would this not be suited to be the same day as Back/Bi's?

Associate
OP
The gym was stupidly packed tonight with people doing very little.

My gym have gotten rid of the bar so I'll have to deadlift using a EZ bar when people aren't too busy bicep curling with it.

I think I am going to split the shoulder press onto WO1 and Lat Raises onto WO2 and see how it goes. It seems from doing Military presses my right shoulder is weaker than my left shoulder as I struggle to push fully with the same weight. Will have to focus on this as to strengthen things.

Have dropped to the 77kg mark, will take a pic at the end of the month to see what progress I've made and decide whether I should start taking protein supplements to help things.

Associate
OP
Deadlifting with a EZbar?

Stuff that, is it not awkward as hell?

What is going on with all these gyms!

Central London gyms which is more cardio focused for masses I guess.

I imagine it to be awkward but saw someone doing it tonight so I guess it's what people do as the next best thing, unless anyone else got any suggestions

Associate
OP
They've returned the barbell in our gym. It seems they just replaced a load of equipment with new ones but in the meantime they just took all the old stuff away so no one can use it.....

Weighed myself today and I am down to 76.7kg. Will take a pic at the end of the month to compare to see how it compares.

Associate
OP
Progress Pic.

photojan30223734.jpg

Not done as well as I thought, pictures seem to add pounds as they say.

GF thinks I should carry losing weight, whereas I think I should maybe up the protein intake to help bulk.

Opinions please?

Back
Top Bottom