WRC Wales

Associate
Anyone have experience with this? Last year i got my dad a ticket to a local track which was an amateur rally day and we both really enjoyed it despite it being the day after boxing day and freezing.

I wouldn't mind splashing out on a proper rally day but what's the experience like? Do you get to see much or is it a full day of seeing cars go by in a split second and not many of them?

Man of Honour
Having been lucky enough to live through the Group B RAC epics of the 80’s, Rally Wales is poor. Having said that I’m sure still feels the same Forrest side, just lacks the 100’s of miles chasing the stages across GB

Soldato
Anyone have experience with this? Last year i got my dad a ticket to a local track which was an amateur rally day and we both really enjoyed it despite it being the day after boxing day and freezing.

I wouldn't mind splashing out on a proper rally day but what's the experience like? Do you get to see much or is it a full day of seeing cars go by in a split second and not many of them?

I saw one of the Wales Rally GB stages this year (Slate Mountain). I really enjoyed it (despite the weather) but you might be better off watching one of the more spectator-friendly stages like the Great Orme stage, which finishes on the streets of the town of Llandudno and I believe had large screens up for the crowds (plus the cars had to donut a small roundabout in the middle of the town as part of the stage :D).

Associate
OP
Yeah it just seems like you'll get small amounts of action throughout the day. Do they run amateur series before the world so it fills up the day?

Thinking a rallycross at silverstone might be a better idea.

Associate
Changes year on year, but generally stages get run twice. On a Saturday you usually get the nationals running through too which include a good mix of cars old and new. The current WRC spec cars are very spectacular with the speed they are carrying over the stage.

Some stages will have multiple viewpoints from one car park so gives you an opportunity to see the cars differently too. i.e;

1st Pass WRC and Nationals on a hairpin bend so you see a big braking zone and the drift. 2nd Pass walk to different viewpoint where you can see them at full speed.

On the Friday and Saturday you can also go to the service park which wraps up the day nicely as you get to see the cars being worked on which you saw through the stage.

You also have a chance to view a couple of stages if your organised about it, however with car-parking it can be difficult to transfer between stages and different people have different opinions of whether it is worth it.

Hope that helps! They are definitely worth seeing first hand, you will no doubt have the rose tinted brigade harping on how the past was always better etc, it may well have been but doesnt take anything away from what the current machines are like in the blood!

Associate
OP
Changes year on year, but generally stages get run twice. On a Saturday you usually get the nationals running through too which include a good mix of cars old and new. The current WRC spec cars are very spectacular with the speed they are carrying over the stage.

Some stages will have multiple viewpoints from one car park so gives you an opportunity to see the cars differently too. i.e;

1st Pass WRC and Nationals on a hairpin bend so you see a big braking zone and the drift. 2nd Pass walk to different viewpoint where you can see them at full speed.

On the Friday and Saturday you can also go to the service park which wraps up the day nicely as you get to see the cars being worked on which you saw through the stage.

You also have a chance to view a couple of stages if your organised about it, however with car-parking it can be difficult to transfer between stages and different people have different opinions of whether it is worth it.

Hope that helps! They are definitely worth seeing first hand, you will no doubt have the rose tinted brigade harping on how the past was always better etc, it may well have been but doesnt take anything away from what the current machines are like in the blood!

What locations would you reccomend or is it pot luck / you check the maps nearer the time.

Associate
You can check the maps nearer the time, there is a fairly comprehensive "Rally Planner" available, and there is a facebook group as well which a lot of the marshells are part of and generally quite helpful (Wales Rally GB Spectator Forum)

I went 2 years ago on Saturday and Sunday. Did a couple of stages and Saturday, and Sunday just to Alwyn/Brenig (was run as a single stage this year as opposed to 2 separate ones, however two reservoirs which are on either side of a road) and a couple of spots that gave both the full speed pass and a technical section too.

Unfortunately couldn't get out to them this year, but being based in Chester managed to get out to the service park in Deeside.

Soldato
If you want more than just the actual rally, I believe they had a lot of other stuff going on in Llandudno on the day. Car exhibits, a motorbike stunt display team, that kind of stuff, on the prom.

You can't beat seeing and hearing a WRC car being driven under duress though. Watching them fire down the rough slate tracks in Blaenau in the fog and rain was something else.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My parents used to have a farm and one year (I want to say circa 2010/11) the WRC set up down the site of an old steel works, about half a mile from the farm.

That year we got free tickets to go to the event and meet the teams etc but it did mean we were essentially stuck in the house for 2 days because the only road out was part of the official course. That said, there were times where we were permitted to leave and I never forget how I left for work in my little Fiesta and saw loads of disappointed photographers as I came around the bend in the lane :D

Man of Honour
Having been lucky enough to live through the Group B RAC epics of the 80’s, Rally Wales is poor. Having said that I’m sure still feels the same Forrest side, just lacks the 100’s of miles chasing the stages across GB
Even in the late 90s there was still some stage chasing to be done - three of us lived in my mate's Mk2 Golf GTI for 4 days and it was RIPE by the end of it.
Really miss that sort of thing though.

Back
Top Bottom