Wrestling - whats the attraction?

Permabanned
Nothing :D

Any mention of wrestling automatically reminds me of Saturday afternoons watching World of Sport with Dickie Davies,and having to sit through half an hour of cack with Big Daddy,Giant Haystacks etc and just praying for it to finish so the footie results would come up.

Damn, shows up my age too :)

Man of Honour
OP
Being 22 I find myself at the lower end age wise of the users of this particular forum, and most of the users older than me seem to be into 'WWE'

I just wondered what the attraction was. As I say, it bores me now. It's like a bad soap opera :D

Originally posted by Balddog
Trish Stratus

Guess she's nice then?

Is that the only reason?

Soldato
Originally posted by Gilly

Guess she's nice then?

Is that the only reason?

Ive only been interested in wrestling for a few months and always thought it was boring..

I pretty much just watch it for the athleticism shown and even though its fixed, the fights are entertaining.

Soldato
A lot of people don't realise that although the fights are fixed, the actual fights themselves are up to the wrestlers working together and only the major components of it are setup. I also like the high-flying cruiserweight matches for the awesome-looking leaps, etc.

Oh yeh the women as well. ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Aren't the results and storylines decided by the corporation, and the individual fights themselves decided by the 'wrestlers' and their choreographers?

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Balddog
Yes

I always thought that would be the easiest way.

Got any pics of the women wrestlers then? All I remember are the over-built ones that actually wrestled and looked like a bulldog chewing a wasp!

Soldato
Aren't the results and storylines decided by the corporation, and the individual fights themselves decided by the 'wrestlers' and their choreographers?

That's what I meant. :)

I like to see how they decide to conduct the matches to entertain us. You can also see them talking to each other during the match telling them whats coming up next so they can prepare for the impact.

Associate
Got any pics of the women wrestlers then? All I remember are the over-built ones that actually wrestled and looked like a bulldog chewing a wasp!
Here's my favorite female wrestler, Miss Stacy Keibler

pic7.jpg

Here's one of Trish Stratus

pic3.jpg

For more pictures visit WWE divas. ;)

Associate
It's the only soap opera I'll watch, some of the storylines are better than anything you'll see in Eastenders or Corrie. ;)

We all know the outcomes are rigged, but that's not important, it's how the athletes perform during the match that counts. Some of the stuff you see in a good cruiserweight match is amazing, and there's nothing better than seeing your favourite wrestler pulling of his/her signature move to win a match (Rey hitting someone with the 619 followed by the West Coast Pop :)).

The results are planned to follow a set storyline, and the main parts of a match are prearranged - any dangerous or high risk moves, how the match will end etc - but a lot of the match is made up by the three men in the ring during the match (I say three because the ref is involved in a big way), this is what keeps it entertaining. :)

PAz

PAz

Soldato
i enjoy it for two reasons..

i admire the dedication and determination those guys put into their training to stay that size all year round, they are 'on the road' something like 280 days a year aswell, and a lot of em have families etc..

secondly, its just pure entertainment! altho i only really watch the PPV's now, its just something fun and light hearted to watch. sure its fixed and stuff, but who cares, its enjoyable =)

Soldato
For one the women.

Seriously I got to say the entertainment is the key factor. With the likes of Kurt Angle, you could watch him all day and laugh your head off. Some of the story lines and gimics are amazing.

The wrestling itself. You get to see some really good wrestling with some amazing moves being pulled off.

The wrestlers themselves are major attraction. You see some guy you hate being mr mancho and all of a sudden this big guy steps into the ring for the first time and whips is butt, then you asks questions as, who the hell was that. (i.e. Brock Lesnar's first appearance)

I don't know whether its the suspense or entertainment but I'd say both are the key factors.

Also if you know what goes behind the scenes as in training, story lines that are planned etc. you can a real feeling as if your in the show.

Soldato

WWE have storyline writers whom make up the storylines for whats going to happen normally planned for up to a few months but can be changed at the last minute. i.e. Brock breaking a rib last week meant that the Big Show had to win so that Brock can take up to 6 weeks leave to heel the broken rib.

Vince has the major say in the storyline. If he agree's then it goes ahead.

Wrestlers don't say who they want to fight, it all down to the story developed by the writers.

Its like when I watched a backstage deocumentary on the WWE, some wrestlers didn't know who they were wrestling until 30 mins before the show started. (i.e Spike been told that he is to fight Brock Lesnar a few minutes before the show) Imagine how he would be crapping the load after hearing that news.

So for a wrestlers point of view, they don't really know whats in store for them and many of them love it that way. If they know the story line, then it can get abit boring.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Originally posted by Kingy
Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

Were you planning on watching the ppv?

I watch it for pretty much the same reasons as Balddog. It may be fake, but these guys can pull off some awesome matches.

Soldato
Originally posted by bitboy
Were you planning on watching the ppv?

Yes.

I thought that it'd be better to avoid a spoiler thread, & watch the replay, than stay up til 4 watching it live.

Anyone know when the replay is screened?

Back
Top Bottom