WRT54GL Router + DD-WRT help needed!

Soldato
Hi :)

I'm trying to install the dd-wrt firmware but I'm confused with which firmware version I should install on my router model (WRT54GL).

Firstly there is:

dd-wrt.v23
dd-wrt.v23 SP1
dd-wrt.v23 SP2

These are listed on the website as the latest three versions. Which one is best? I don't need anything very fancy, just port forwarding, QoS and rock solid stability.

Once I do choose a version there seem to be various 'flavours' of the firmware, in particular:

mini
standard
voip
vpn client

Which one? Standard?

Finally (lol) there are different versions for the various routers that are supported but none labeled for the WRT54GL eventhough it is supported. The versions are:

dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin
dd-wrt.v23_wrt54g.bin
dd-wrt.v23_wrt54gs.bin
dd-wrt.v23_wrt54gsv4.bin
dd-wrt.v23_wrtsl54gs.bin

Which one for the WRT54GL? (I'm guessing its the generic version).

Please some help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

titaniumx3

Associate
Ive tried DD-WRT and wasn't so keen due to lack of features etc. I settled on HyperWRT + thibor 15c.

Uptime : 90 days, 12:33:29
System Load : 0.00 / 0.00 / 0.00
LAN (rx/tx) :
81.60 G (28.74 K/s) 107.42 G (2.37 K/s)

WLAN (rx/tx) :
46.80 M (0.00 K/s) 1.18 G (0.07 K/s)

WAN (rx/tx) :
115.20 G (3.73 K/s) 83.77 G (29.24 K/s)

Says it all really :)

Associate
At the time, bear in mind this is over 3 months ago - I couldn't see any port forwarding options or dyndns options (I use dyndns due to cables semi-dynamic IP addresses).

Associate
Apparently the Linksys supplied firmware has a limit on the file size of uploaded firmwares - the way around this is to upoad the mini version (smaller but missing features) which doesn't have the limit; once it is on, any size firmware can be uploaded (assuming there is another memory of course).

I can't say for sure but my guess is that you want:

dd-wrt.v23 SP2 (guessing its slightly newer?)
standard (if you wanted VPN/VOIP you would know what they are - remember to first of all upload the mini one to it though)
dd-wrt.v23_wrt54g.bin - I seem to remember the L in WRT54GL stands for Linux because they stopped with the Linux firmwares on the main WRT54G line - therefore a WRT54GL should be very similar to an earlier WRT54G.

Hope this helps, null :)

Soldato
Rabtech said:
At the time, bear in mind this is over 3 months ago - I couldn't see any port forwarding options or dyndns options (I use dyndns due to cables semi-dynamic IP addresses).

Guessing you didn't look that hard then ;)

from hwsupport.txt

For upgrading from the original Linksys firmware, please use the generic mini version (dd-wrt.vXX_mini_generic.bin) and flash it from the web GUI interface. After this first flashing you can change to any other distribution, if you want.
-For flashing via the web GUI interface, always use the included 'generic' binaries. The other Linksys router specific binaries are only meant for tftp upgrades

Back
Top Bottom