WTB Dell Studio 15, please review specs

Soldato
i am trying to use the invisible character of alt+255 however this does not work because you need a number pad to do this. is there anyway to set a number lock on the laptop or to do the character another way?

Try pressing something like Function + Alt + 255 / Putting the NumLk on and then pressing Alt + 255 - most laptops do have a numpad you need need to enable it first.

The num pad "numbers" are usually on the right of the keyboard i.e. U,I,O,P and J,K,L etc...

Not sure 100% without seeing the keyboard tho :D

Soldato
I just bought a Studio 15 off ebay for what i thought was a bargain £500 as it was listed as NEW,Just taken out of box,just picked up earlier,guy said he got as present so no receipt and though it looks new,got it home and spotted on the side of the box that it was ordered/bought 13th nov 2009.
Also stated it had Blue-Ray Drive,but when i looked in the spec's it just states "DVD/RWBD,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH".
Now should it say Blue-Ray on the Drive specs?
Any one got one they could check for me as if its not,its going back to him.

4 months old and not new is one thing,but if not blue ray then its not what i paid for.

Whack a disc in and see?

Soldato
wahey got mine delivered yesterday and gave it a quick run out last night.

might sound daft but it seems slower than i expected it too be, didnt really do a lot on it but response seemed a bit slow.

what sort of things have people uninstalled, stopped running on startup ?

Associate
wahey got mine delivered yesterday and gave it a quick run out last night.

might sound daft but it seems slower than i expected it too be, didnt really do a lot on it but response seemed a bit slow.

what sort of things have people uninstalled, stopped running on startup ?

I would do a fresh install with the included Windows 7 disk, my Studio 15 was way faster with a fresh install than the bogged down dell install.

Associate
I installed all drivers from dell website and then removed their sound drivers and kept the Windows 7 HD sound driver as this is better. also got ATI drivers from ATI not dell. After that everything else should work fine.

Associate
Blugh, just checked the the cheapest Studio 15 is now 529 (unless you want a fixed build), boosted to 629 with a screen upgrade and backlit keyboard. And only comes in i3 or i5 flavour too.

What's the main difference between a Studio and an Inspiron?

-- Ah not too much it would seem, processor aside, although there is no option for a monitor or keyboard upgrade, and the graphics are integrated so no gaming.

Last edited:
Caporegime
thinking of getting the i5 studio one at 529 can you overclock the i5 :D cause was looking and the cpu is 2.53 with turbo on and its another 50 quid for the next one up which is 2.93.

any things should get with this or lookout for thanks.

Soldato
I dunno if you can overclock, but its highly advisable that you don't. Would get pretty toasty inside and the fan may not be able to keep it cool if you overclock it.

Xez

Xez

Associate
Just ordered mine with I5 with upgraded HDD to a 500GB 7200rpm and Intel wireless N for £529 delivered(also includes 1 year home response) :D My first own personal laptop and for the specs I think it's a bit of a bargin!

Last edited:
Associate
How good is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 on the I7 Studio 15? That is a crazy price of £680 for what looks like a crackin' laptop.

Interested in grabbing one of these and noticed that they are offering the 5470 as an option on the 15" i5 now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom