WTB Dell Studio 15, please review specs

Soldato
OP
Been playing dawn of war maxed out with x2AA on my lappie, keeping me sane atm and happy with the way this non-gaming laptop handles it:)

Tho it went completley nutz when I ran it off mains without that battery once instance, video card error and BSOD's then unresponsive desktop but think it was a one off

Anyone got theirs yet?

Associate
Mine came today. I've spent the day reinstalling windows and configuring it. This is a kick-ass laptop. Super fast, well built, fairly quiet (when not under high stress) and i'm loving the backlit keyboard. Downsides are it does come bundled with loads of things I didn't want. It was running pretty slow at the beginning, I think probably because of the virus scan. Now it runs like a champ. Also the speakers aren't amazing, but they do work. I'm about to install some games and lets see how good it really is.

wix47n.jpg

Actually aero 3d flip is not working for some reason. I press windows logo and tab but it brings up the regular window switcher. I have installed graphics card drivers and the rest of aero is working - transparency, etc. any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
How come everyone has C2D machines? I see they have it for £499 now but they are all i3 or i5 models? I also can't see how to add on a backlit keyboard :(

Soldato
Cause we all bought them when they were on offer for £429. Some of us got the standard T4300 Dual Core and others upgraded to the T6600 C2D (and above).

Associate
Anyone getting a black screen on wake up when they have closed the laptop screen to put it to sleep and then opened it up a few hours later?

It's very annoying, I have to hold the power button to shut the laptop down and then boot it back up everytime.

Associate
I've been looking into getting one of these but have a few questions.

Is there much of a performance increase between the the i5 and i3? Am I right in assuming the i3 is essentially going to be the new Celeron where as the i5 is kinda the replacement for c2d? I'm really out of the loop on Laptop CPUs unfortunately :(

Also is the 9cell battery worth getting? What is the average battery life like just for basic web browsing and listening to music?

Soldato
I've been looking into getting one of these but have a few questions.

Is there much of a performance increase between the the i5 and i3? Am I right in assuming the i3 is essentially going to be the new Celeron where as the i5 is kinda the replacement for c2d? I'm really out of the loop on Laptop CPUs unfortunately :(

Also is the 9cell battery worth getting? What is the average battery life like just for basic web browsing and listening to music?

I was going to go for the i3 version. It doesn't have the burst option to 2.5ghz but apart from that I can't see much difference?

I called Dell earlier today about the 9-cell and they won't upgrade the laptop to a 9-cell and you have to buy it seperately at a cost of around £120 :O The guy said the 6-cell lasts for about 2.5 hours and the 9-cell is 45mins more than that.

Can anyone recommend where else to get the battery from as direct from Dell is a complete pee take!

EDIT: It seems if you select the one up from the base model you have a lot more customisation options such as bigger battery, etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Looking at getting one of these laptops, I think I will spec the 1920 x1080 screen should make photo editing plus dreamweaver easier to use. Do I go for an I3 or I5 variant? also the I5 only comes with a 500GB 5400rpm hard drive, is there much perfomance difference between these and the 7200rpm drives?
Ta

Soldato
OP
wow I am gutted 3mb cache i3 models with 500gb 7,200rpm drives are on the site for £500! oh well:( how long is the cooling off period again lol
racerboy are you i3?

battery life is pretty good on the 6 cell, 9 cell will stick downwards as far as I know and increase airflow which is a plus

Back
Top Bottom