WWDC 2017 - Entire MacBook line getting refreshed with Kaby Lake

Soldato
www000000000tttt

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/16/15648172/apple-macbook-pro-air-kaby-lake-update-wwdc-intel-rumor

Apple is reportedly planning on upgrading all three of its MacBook products at WWDC this year, according to a report from Mark Gurman at Bloomberg.

The company is said to be working on three updated models: a MacBook Pro with Intel’s latest Kaby Lake processor, a more powerful version of the 12-inch MacBook, and an updated 13-inch MacBook Air, which could get a faster processor as well. But sadly, there’s no word on a better screen. Apple really wants you to think of the 13-inch MacBook Pro as the Air’s successor.

definitely still need dongles.

The MacBook and MacBook Air are certainly due for an update, having been last refreshed in 2016 and 2015, respectively. WWDC 2017 is scheduled to take place from June 5th to June 9th.

I wasn't too happy when the new MBPs came out as they were very pricey for what they were but if they're getting the full bells and whistles in this iteration then I'll be tempted. Can't wait for this event.

Soldato
I just read that as a basic spec bump and nothing else? All seems fairly standard affair. Also there is next to no difference performance wise between Sky Lake and Kaby Lake.

Soldato
OP
Nothing wrong with a spec bump especially when you didn't buy the first iteration to begin with. I'll be more than happy with a faster USB standard and CPU, better life and improved graphics!

Soldato
The gains on the CPU are marginal at best.

Faster USB standard? Pro already has the fastest available.

The Macbook only has 3.1 gen 1 but it's crippled by the slow CPU with a rubbish thermal solution. What do you need 10gb/sec when the thing thermal throttles when doing anything remotely taxing.

The Air has much more important things that need addressing such has the truly awful screen by today's standards.

Battery life - might be something to gain here but it will be marginal at best again.

There really isn't anything to get excited about other than a long overdue incremental update.

Man of Honour
When are these out?

Only just took delivery of a 13" Pro with touch, tempted to send it back and wait for the new ones.

Soldato
Can't imagine the Air will ever get any serious refreshes ever again - only ever going to get phased out with the MacBook replacing it as the ultraportable option (although like the Air before it, it arrived full of compromises and a bit gimped). Even the non-Touchbar MBP is thinner and lighter than it. Only reason people still buy them is because it's the cheapest laptop Apple sell, but it's not like they're a company short on sales, probably just have stock to clear through before they pull the plug on it.

Man of Honour
Your return request has been received.
Returns are free. Just print your return label below and send us your items.

I managed to wait for ages having only the MacBook, so I'm sure a few more months will be okay. I'll order the refresh whenever it's released.

Soldato
Its the gains in graphics that are massive compared to the 2015 macbook pros.

I did bruceX test when the new MBPs first came out and found them to be a good 25%+ faster in FCPX.

My 2015 MBP is still a great machine but it looks dated when put next to the 2016 models. I don't think the standard Macbook or the Air are worth my time, but I would consider a Kabby Lake MBP.

Caporegime
I have no idea what the non-iOS team at Apple are playing at these days. Hardware refreshes running at a glacial pace.

Soldato
If the laptops sell, why bother?

Were more likely to see a Google home type device using Siri in the keynote that we are a spec bump in existing laptops. This simply isn't keynote worthy.

Caporegime
I just read that as a basic spec bump and nothing else? All seems fairly standard affair. Also there is next to no difference performance wise between Sky Lake and Kaby Lake.

indeed, I think people get a bit carried away with marketing - the current MBP is a decent enough machine as it is, obviously they'll carry on updating it but to say you weren't going to buy one before but will now because of these small improvements seems a bit odd

Soldato
OP
Not really, I'm sure quite a few people like to wait for refined models before purchasing them. Did you not see the furore in the MacBook pro thread last year?

Soldato
But there will not be any refinements, literally take the CPU out and but another in and plus $50. Oh you might get DDR4 but there is no noticeable difference in performance. It will be 2-5% faster depending on use case.

Don't get me wrong they are fantastic machines but it is not news worthy at all, it wont be in a keynote and will just be a press release just before or after the event. Viral marketing gone crazy.

Back
Top Bottom