X-Fi Music compare to a Ac97 onboard sound

Associate
Hi all,

I know that this has probbley been discussed 100s of times, I did use the search feature but didnt get all of the answers.

for music, would I notice a lot of difference? I have got some Logitech Z-680s (had them for a few years and they are great). I used to have a SB Audigy Plat before the onboard card, but got rid of it because the drivers.

Have Creative Labs finally sorted out their drivers for their range of products now?, on the Audigy and Live series it was a nightmare to download them as you had to install the original CD first, the software was buggy, and it was bloatware heaven and had a lot of useless crap on, the drivers also used to uninstall themselves for no reason. I could have had a duff card mind you.

Also on my last Creative Labs card, EAX had a big performance hit as well, is this a lot better with the new cards they have got out?

EDIT, onboard sound I have is Realtek, havent got the model number, have to look in the motherboard manual, its on a Socket 754 (old A64) motherboard

Last edited:

Ian

Ian

Associate
I bought an X-Fi for a recent upgrade. The drivers made the thing highly unstable after a while. Took the card out, onboard enabled...system is perfect.

Cant really notice the difference in sound quality either tbh.

Gonna sell the thing once i get around to it.

Ian

Soldato
I noticed a huge differance from going from Audigy 2 to the X-fi, It really does depend on speakers though. which without knowing what Ian's are would maybe explain why he wasnt impressed by the sound.

My system is also very stable, drivers are not an issue with my system.

I think its a great upgrade.

Soldato
AC97 is pretty poor. I went from that to a SB Live and noticed an improvement, then to an X-Fi and that was better still. Just don't expect the difference to be huge - it won't be like going from, say, a GeForce2 to a 7900GTX. You'll notice the difference a lot more if you use a good set of headphones or output to an AMP and good speakers.

Permabanned
HUGE difference between onboard AC97 audio and the X-Fi.

In fact, there's a significant difference between the Audigy2 (warm sounding but slightly muffled) and the X-Fi (far more precise sounds, you can hear each instrument, though it can sound slightly clinical).

Just make sure you have some decent speakers otherwise you could have the best sound card in the world and not reap the benefits. Thje 680s are quite good gaming speakers but not exactly the most suitable for music playback.

Last edited:
Associate
The Audigy 2 walks all over onboard sound cards I've tried.
The X-Fi is better than the A2.

But it also depends what you plug into the line out. The above was more true with AKG headphones than Grado for instance. The real benefit isn't system performance though.

Soldato
FishThrower:

I have had a set of Logitech Z680 speakers for just over 3 years, used then first with AC97 chip (or something similiar), then hooked them up to an Audigy 2 ZS and there was a very good improvement, on all sources. I used the Audigy 2 ZS with the X-FI drivers, which made a further (subtle) improvement.

Regarding 5:1 speakers the Z680s are still very good indeed, and there is not much around (in my opinion) to match them.

If you connect them to a X-FI, going from a AC97, you certainly will notice quite an improvement, I would reckon the person who doesn't notice this difference, has cotton wool in their ears. :)

Soldato
davidstone28 said:
HUGE difference between onboard AC97 audio and the X-Fi.

In fact, there's a significant difference between the Audigy2 (warm sounding but slightly muffled) and the X-Fi (far more precise sounds, you can hear each instrument, though it can sound slightly clinical).

Just make sure you have some decent speakers otherwise you could have the best sound card in the world and not reap the benefits. Thje 680s are quite good gaming speakers but not exactly the most suitable for music playback.

I too noticed this, it does all depend on how its being outputted though if its going to a hi-fi amp/seperate u may not notice much difference, I used the x-fi front panel headphone out and well theres a major difference the detail in the songs (mp3s) were a lot better on the X-fi could barely hear any of them on the Realtek AC97.

Of course if u channeled and amplified the signal thru a amp, it may sound equal regardless of soundcard ;)

Associate
I had onboard and used the AC97' codec. Then I went to a Creative X-Fi Music. I have Creative Megaworks 550 and Icemat Siberia headphones and the sound difference was litterally massive. The precision in music games and DVDs made everything easier to listen to. I could suddenly hear better in Counter Strike Source and my taste in music changed. Don't get me started on Battlefield 2 I can hear clothes rustling now thats just too much detail.

Associate
OP
Yeah it does sound really good, obviously you do get used to it though,

glad to see that Creative have finally sorted out their drivers as well

money well spent

Soldato
They not bad cards i got the xfi-music, but tbh i was expecting more off it. Bf2 i get just grief all the time keeps erroring back too desktop, for the extra sound quality it gives i am going to go back to my onboard.

Associate
Jabbs said:
They not bad cards i got the xfi-music, but tbh i was expecting more off it. Bf2 i get just grief all the time keeps erroring back too desktop, for the extra sound quality it gives i am going to go back to my onboard.

That's not the sound card doing that - that's just BF2 crashing :p

But when it the game does work - Ultra High settings, on some good head phones, with the 3D sounds enabled is pure class. Mind blowing to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom