• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800XT 256MB or HIS X1900GT?

Associate
As the title really, but a bit of an explanation.

I've done a lot of research into Crossfiring an X1900GT, on many forums across the internet. I've also been intouch with Asus technical support.

The basic consensus is that 2x X1900GT in crossfire 'should' work on my motherboard, but is not guaranteed.

I'm in a position to either get another X1900GT, try for Crossfire, if works great, if it doesn't then I'll have a spare card to put into the missus' PC (she plays FEAR with me), use it as physics card in the future or get a motherboard where I definitly know it will work.

Or, I can just get myself an X1800XT and be done with it.

The two main games I play at present are FEAR Combat (a lot!) and Oblivion.

What would you guys go for ?? ....

Soldato
I would actually get X1900GTs, the one with the IceQ 3 cooler in particular. They are known to pull ahead by quite a bit in terms of minimum FPS in games like Oblivion.

Like you said, if Crossfire doesn't work you can play F.E.A.R. with your wife, and if it works your rig will be super good. :)

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
I would actually get X1900GTs, the one with the IceQ 3 cooler in particular. They are known to pull ahead by quite a bit in terms of minimum FPS in games like Oblivion.

The X1800 is faster in Oblivion by a good 5 FPS over a X1900GT when I did my testing in the woody area's.

I was running HDR at 1920x1200 Medium Textures. 3.6G's 6600 P5W DH

X1800 25 FPS,
X1900GT 20 FPS :)

Soldato
I'm just running an X1800 overclocked to max cc at 1920x1200. Its runs everything suprisingly smooth. While the X1900GT Xfire is good in certain games its just not consistent at the moment. Drivers need to be improved with software xfire.

Soldato
The Asgard said:
The X1800 is faster in Oblivion by a good 5 FPS over a X1900GT when I did my testing in the woody area's.

I was running HDR at 1920x1200 Medium Textures. 3.6G's 6600 P5W DH

X1800 25 FPS,
X1900GT 20 FPS :)
Aye I remember you saying, but I'm sure you'll understand if I stand by FiringSquad and X-Bit Labs conclusions.

No offense to you or your testing, it's just yours are the only results I've seen so far that show the X1800XT with a clear lead in Oblivion, so I am more likely to lean toward reviews until I test it myself (which is unlikely.)

Associate
OP
LoadsaMoney said:
It'll work if both PCI-E lanes are 16x, and not go to 8x each when 2x cards are used. :)

Interesting, as The Asgard had his 2x X1900GTs in Xfire on a Bad Axe, which only supports 8x/8x PCI-Ex lane configuration.

Additionally, Asus has confirmed software crossfire support on the 955x chipset alongside the 975x chipset.

Hence why I'm willing to give it a go. Any comments ?

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
No offense to you or your testing, it's just yours are the only results I've seen so far that show the X1800XT with a clear lead in Oblivion, so I am more likely to lean toward reviews until I test it myself (which is unlikely.)

Toms also show the X1800 XT beating a X1900 GT in Oblivion outdoor-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=552&model2=549&chart=204

The X1900 GT wins in indoor areas though-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=552&model2=549&chart=208

but you need the extra frames much more outdoors.

Soldato
fish99 said:
Toms also show the X1800 XT beating a X1900 GT in Oblivion outdoor-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=552&model2=549&chart=204

The X1900 GT wins in indoor areas though-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=552&model2=549&chart=208

but you need the extra frames much more outdoors.
Aye, it's the outdoors benchmarks I am talking about. The X1900GT tends to have a higher minimum framerate in areas with grass and trees.

Soldato
Average FPS is more important than minimum. Minimum could be explained by anything, like some unusual background activity. Basically any other process needing the hard-drive at the same time as the game could drag the minimum down dramatically. Unless they did the tests 10 times and took the mean from their minimum, average and maximum framerates, then I personally wouldn't read too much from it. Oblivion is on the hard-drive every few seconds anyway if you're moving, even with 2 GB. Also average takes into account the minimum FPS.

Soldato
Arthalen said:
Interesting, as The Asgard had his 2x X1900GTs in Xfire on a Bad Axe, which only supports 8x/8x PCI-Ex lane configuration.

Additionally, Asus has confirmed software crossfire support on the 955x chipset alongside the 975x chipset.

Hence why I'm willing to give it a go. Any comments ?

The testing I did with the Xfire X1900GT was on a P5W DH which I'm pretty sure would produce exactly the same results on a Badaxe. :)

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
Aye I remember you saying, but I'm sure you'll understand if I stand by FiringSquad and X-Bit Labs conclusions.

Fair enough m8. I still stand by my results which is why I am using an X1800XT and not an X1900GT :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the input guys.

@Asgard: I think your testing on a Asus motherboard has convinced me to try for a crossfire setup. If it works, I'll outstretch what a X1800XT would give me anyway.

If it doesn't, well, *shrug* atleast I'll answer a nagging question that needs answering, and be able to tell everyone else.

Soldato
Arthalen said:
Thanks for all the input guys.

@Asgard: I think your testing on a Asus motherboard has convinced me to try for a crossfire setup. If it works, I'll outstretch what a X1800XT would give me anyway.

If it doesn't, well, *shrug* atleast I'll answer a nagging question that needs answering, and be able to tell everyone else.

Its a nice setup m8 and I'm sure with driver revisions it will get better. The performance was just a bit too inconsistent for me.

The X1800XT is just a stop gap until DX10 comes out but I'm still temped by a GX2, again. I just wished I could keep my hardware for more than 5 minutes, lol.

Back
Top Bottom