• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800XT vs Geforce 7600GT HTPC

Associate
So,

I am planning to buy an HTPC. I was going to buy a BFG 7600GT but I am seeing that an ATI X1800XT is practically the same price.

I do not know whether there is anyone who can recommned either cards for an HTPC.

I have the following considerations. The card should be quite silent and the drivers should be able to display a resolution of 1366x768 OR 1360x768. I know that Nvidia cards have support for this resolution.

My main concern for ATI are driver issues and that I need to use two PCI slots. I will be using a Seasonic S12 430W Silent ATX2.0 and I need to make sure that if I go to an ATI this power supply would be capable of running it.

Thanks
newera

Associate
OP
Yes yes,

That would be ideal but since I saw that the X1800XT is at a very good price I thaught I might found someone who has built an HTPC or something similar with this card.

Thanks for your reply.

Permabanned
a 400 watt psu is good enough so your 430 wont have a problem. the cards are very quiet but dont ever heat them up because on the rare occasion that the fan kicks in at 100% youl know about it.

as for X1800 v 7600GT there is no contest. the X1800XT was designed to take on the 7800GTX, the 7600GT doesnt scratch it.

Soldato
I don't see the point in purchasing X1800XT or a 7600GT for a HTCP system unless you'll be gaming on the machine as well.

You can get a sub £100 card that'll easily handle HTCP duties with ease, offer video acceleration, passively cooled, silent and less hungry on the power supply.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for all your replies.

I am not such a big gamer. Actually I only do programming :)))). But I wanted to have some power so that I can play some games on a 40 inch LCD screen.

Soldato
Gashman said:
with a 40" LCD your gonna need something more powerful than X1800XT even to play games at a high resolution with detail, perhaps crossfire or SLI setup even

Not really.

If its a high def LCD TV with a resolution of 1280x720 then those cards are more than enough. He can even add loads of AA and Aniso with very little perfomance hit. Would look stunning on a 40" display with 1280x720, texture detail high, X4AA and X8 aniso.

Associate
OP
Hi,

It is a high def LCD with a response rate of 8ms anf resolution of 1366x768. It is a Samsung LCD.

I have my hands pointed on the buy icon!!!!!

Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom