X299 binned and delidded CPU's now available. Along with 8Pack Elite Tier bundles.

Associate
basically im torn between threadripper or a i9.

my i7 has lasted me many years but it cant cut the mustard no more, want a gaming rig but also do multimedia stuff, stream etc.....

im looking for a solid upgrade with a solid clock possibly do a complete system build waiting on the new Cooler Master H500P

in terms of punch for punch and value for money at 4k resolutions would the 16 core thread ripper do me well or would a i9 shoot above the higher core threadripper, either way im looking for a pre overclocked bundle?

Thanks

Associate
8pack would a Noctua NH-U14S be sufficient in your bundle, im aiming for a high air flow case, waiting on the Cooler Master H500P......
im not really keen on watercooling as i have always used aircooling and my current case (antec 1200) with noctua cpu cooler is pretty great.

OcUK Staff
OP
For sure not on Skylake X. Air no way good enough. Watercooling is the only option with this high end CPU and such overclocks.

If yur talking 7740X CPU then I think high end air is ok.

Last edited:
Associate
thanks 8pack, im just waiting on my case to start shipping , then its either a x299 i9 or a thread ripper oc'd bundle.

i know this is not the place but 4k gaming on either 8pack rig i9vs1950x

what one would you recommend? and will we be seeing faster ddr4 for the 1950x and how will that effect performance?

Soldato
basically im torn between threadripper or a i9.

my i7 has lasted me many years but it cant cut the mustard no more, want a gaming rig but also do multimedia stuff, stream etc.....

im looking for a solid upgrade with a solid clock possibly do a complete system build waiting on the new Cooler Master H500P

in terms of punch for punch and value for money at 4k resolutions would the 16 core thread ripper do me well or would a i9 shoot above the higher core threadripper, either way im looking for a pre overclocked bundle?

Thanks

If money is no object to you then the i9

If you want to save quite a few hundred quid then Threadripper

At 4k res you're more graphics card dependant than CPU. The i9 costs £2,500 with no GPU - A DIY Threadripper bundle with a 1080Ti would "probably" cost around the same as the i9 with no GPU, so worth considering that slant. Obviously pricing TBC. You would have to buy and OC TR yourself though to get the cash saving.

You can run TR on air without AIO water cooler.

Last edited:
Associate
I have two on my desk will be booked into stock tomorrow. So I guess ship tomorrow on back orders. The 4.9 and 5g hard to find..1 in 10 and 1 in 25 respectively.
Thanks, just got a notification that it has been packed and ready for shipment! :)

Which means there might be one more crazy person in EU or maybe I am the only one....

Soldato
Thought might have seen a review of 7920x vs 1920X by now but done a quick search and not found anything. Anyone seen something?
So many options out there and such varying opinions.
Don't do any movie/image processing myself but do use Virtual Machines(max two at time) and dev tools tools that will benefit from extra cores. Then aside from that, gaming, and a good long lasting system before next upgrade is the requirement.

Soldato
There you go, that's a review in itself as you've probably tested them :D.
Don't need a review, just surprised nobody has really done one. Tend to not take too much notice of what some of the reviewers cover anyway but always worth a read during decision making process.

Associate
I have indeed tested them all..... So see what I have just said as exactly that!!

Hello sir, I was wondering how you tested your binned 7900x. I see pictures of your 7800x testing but not your 7900x. I'm wondering at what voltage with what cooling and what were the temps. Thanks!

Also a bit off topic, but i got one of your 8pack limited 1080ti back in like july and havent seen it back in stock ever since. I might want to add a second card, but its out of stock since then?

Back
Top Bottom