x370 gaming k7 - Bios boot order -win10

Associate
Hi,

Hopefully a simple question. I have a recent build based on a x370 gaming k7 which works fine with the exception of forgetting where its boot drive is every few days. I have to keep going into bios and resetting it to Windows 10 on the SATA ssd, the other drive is the system is an oldish DVD-RW drive on SATA. I set it as SSD first but when it cant boot I find it is shuffled down the order and windows says insert a boot disk / cant find bootable etc. I generally also have a USB Wi-Fi dongle plugged in on front as well - which sometimes wakes up and connects to my home network and sometimes doesn't seem to be alive so i just unplug and re-insert it once in windows, and then it behaves.

Is there a missing setting or known problem? I would rather not update the BIOS as the rest is working fine (3200 8 pack memory etc) unless this seems to be a sensible fix (I'm not used to modern dual bios boards so probably over cautious).

Cheers
RogB

Soldato
What BIOS are you running?

Sounds daft but just try disconnecting the CD drive for a while. See if that stops it.

Personally not experienced the issue you have but I have had a CD drive cause weird disconnects/corruption on the SATA controllers. I put it down to a dodgy CD drive.

Soldato
I have the same board, but I don't use a optical disk drive any more. I do have two drives though, one being m.2 and the other being SATA. Haven't had any issues with boot orders on the F4, F7a and the latest F10 BIOS. I have the same RAM kit too so stability wise I can tell you there's no issue updating the BIOS.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I have upgraded to the latest bios to F10 and will see how it goes. Removing the dvd is an option as i have an external usb one for my laptop.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately it still misbehaves with the new bios, but with new behaviour. It now doesn't show the ssd at all when going into bios after restarting due to no OS being found at first boot. The ssd appears in bios after a third or fourth restart and is then happy...any ideas?

Soldato
Unfortunately it still misbehaves with the new bios, but with new behaviour. It now doesn't show the ssd at all when going into bios after restarting due to no OS being found at first boot. The ssd appears in bios after a third or fourth restart and is then happy...any ideas?

not on fast boot is it or ultra fast boot ?

Soldato
Unfortunately it still misbehaves with the new bios, but with new behavior. It now doesn't show the ssd at all when going into bios after restarting due to no OS being found at first boot. The ssd appears in bios after a third or fourth restart and is then happy...any ideas?

Have you removed the DVD drive and checked?

Also what orbitalwalsh said .

Associate
OP
Its not on fast boot. This evening 1st boot gave no display at all, second boot couldnt find the OS, third boot i got into bios and pointed it to windows on the ssd, 4th boot it ignored the ssd so no OS, 5th went fine. Played a game for an hour no probs.

I'll try physically moving the ssd to SATA1 or 0 as currently its SATA3 while the dvd is SATA1 this weekend. Failing that i'll unplug the dvd entirely. These are the components plus thd old dvdrw, usb wireless dongle and the cheapy aoc 32" monitor.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Once its running its fine - just the multiple starts from cold being annoying. Thanks for your thoughts

Back
Top Bottom