X570 Chipset Fan and why I'm waiting for X670

Associate
Reading various user reviews it seems the chipset fans are averaging 55-60c in a brand new system that has no degradation or dust buildup, with current ambient temps 15c lower than the height of summer. Considering the fans kick in at 60c it won't be long before the 0rpm "silent" mode disappears for most users.

The fan itself is rated for 60,000 hours or 7 years when run 24/7. My current PC has been running 24/7 for 8 years and its replacement is expected to last just as long. In that time I've had to replace most of the fans to retain a quiet system.

A not so bold prediction - Every summer for the next 5 years this forum will be flooded with complaints about the X570 Chipset Fan.

Soldato
Mine is 49C and no fan spin whatsoever in a room ambient 20C. I've then adjusted the fan profile to cause it to come on and it is not that loud. Obviously I turned it back off. If it gets really bad I'll buy a waterblock for it.

Caporegime
the answer is dont buy a x570 board. if you need to buy now just get a 4 series board or wait for the new boards which i think wont have the fans. as its already been shown they arent needed and a decent heatsink can even do a better job than the fan. i actually think the reason they added the fan was just a excuse for the new x570 selling point. to make em seem different. its not needed been proved it isnt. now the mobo manufacturers know people are not buying because of the fan im sure they wont be on the newer boards that will release with the 4000s. fingers crossed.

Soldato
the answer is dont buy a x570 board.
This,

X470 and even B450 all provide decent alternatives especially if you dont need the faster data transfers that PCIE gen4 nvme brings and it will probably be 8 years before even the top end GPUs are saturating PCIE3 as only they have only just begun to saturate PCIE2.

Soldato
This,

X470 and even B450 all provide decent alternatives especially if you dont need the faster data transfers that PCIE gen4 nvme brings and it will probably be 8 years before even the top end GPUs are saturating PCIE3 as only they have only just begun to saturate PCIE2.

I've been mulling over to buy a new mobo. And then whether it's the B450 Tomahawk Max or the x570 Auros Elite. I was leaning towards the Elite simply for the Pcie4.

I need convincing that Pcie4 isn't worth the extra £80. I've read the articles and yes I know right now it makes no difference but with next gen GPUs?

Last edited:
Soldato
Build quality of the auros master is fantastic.

I was worried about the fan too. But end of the day it's easy to mod if needs be. Plus I reckon you could get replacements easily too.

Only heard it come on a few times on boot. Shame my aorus 1080ti sits right on top of it though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd like to build a high-end system now and have it serve me for about 8 years. That means slotting in a 4950x when they are cheap next year. A 4 series board is likely to struggle and/or have issues with that chip.

Soldato
A not so bold prediction - Every summer for the next 5 years this forum will be flooded with complaints about the X570 Chipset Fan.
Most likely in those boards designed by marketroids with chipset coolers under graphics cards.
Those with properly designed chipset coolers farther from graphics card don't have to ramp up fan speeds that much and should have lowered fan wear down rates.

I remember the days when the nForce4 SLI chipset had a fan that caused nothing but problems.
Don't forget similar replacement HSF gotten from Asus support wearing down equally fast.

Soldato
Most likely in those boards designed by marketroids with chipset coolers under graphics cards.
Those with properly designed chipset coolers farther from graphics card don't have to ramp up fan speeds that much and should have lowered fan wear down rates.

Don't forget similar replacement HSF gotten from Asus support wearing down equally fast.
Is marketroids your favourite word? You do seem to use it an awful lot :D

Soldato
Don't think it's "politically correct" to call them with real words describing accurately what they are...
Lol

I've inspected the fan on the master. Easy to remove and replace. Child's play.

Agreed I shouldn't have to do it though, poor layout.

Fan doesn't seem to come on though.

Last mobo I almost bought was the x79 extreme. Had a fan. No general complaints as far as I'm aware.

Soldato
Lol

Fan doesn't seem to come on though.

Last mobo I almost bought was the x79 extreme. Had a fan. No general complaints as far as I'm aware.
There is definitely a waterblock already available for the master's chipset. Hopefully other manufacturers' boards get similar. Note though it limits the graphics card size if you do use the waterblock as they weren't very kind with the hose positioning and it is still close to the GPU

Soldato
I won't be buying X570 for the same reason. I like a quiet system and am quite sensitive to the noise small fans make.
That and the cost of the boards has really gone up. When Ryzen was launched it was said that boards should be cheaper because of the SOC nature of the CPU.

B550 should suit the needs of most without the need for chipset fans. If it ever sees the light of day.

Soldato

I had enough of swapping badly designed tiny chipset coolers in Nvidia chipset Asus board for Athlon.
After second HSF gotten from Asus support basically failing even faster than original bought passive (IIRC Zalman) heatsink.
Those weren't even real heatsinks but tiny pieces of aluminium basically relying fan's airflow to have any kind cooling power.

Soldato
That and the cost of the boards has really gone up. When Ryzen was launched it was said that boards should be cheaper because of the SOC nature of the CPU.
Stronger VRMs add cost and also PCIe v4 has higher design quality requirements.
Though compared to good VRM X470 boards prices aren't really that much higher.

But PCIe v5 hyped by some will be even more demanding.
So if anything prices of high end boards will keep going up.

Soldato
There is a real prospect we might be on pcie6 without v5 ever really making the market. If it does then it could be short-lived

Back
Top Bottom