X570 Chipset Fan and why I'm waiting for X670

Soldato
The following might sound a noob question.

But can the X570 heat sink / fan assembly be removed and better thermal paste be used?

I've not built my new rig yet, but my X570 board will be fitted in a Silvertone FT-02 with a 180mm fan sitting under this area.

Associate
The chipset fan is what's put me off going with X570. I remember the days when the nForce4 SLI chipset had a fan that caused nothing but problems.
And there were passive aftermarket heatsink replacements available back then. I would prefer some copper, heatpipes and a taller heatsink to a fan and day.

Soldato
Removing chipset fan in Msi ace is harder as heat pipe runs to vrm coolers. The images I've seen show it having to remove all three.

Associate
I just got a waterblock for my X570 Aorus Ultra. I'm moving from an O11D to an O11D XL, so I thought why not. The block is cheap, the fittings made up for 1/4 total cost of the block and fittings.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The small fan was something that put me off the X570 also. But since I got my X570 Aorus Elite I realised its a non issue. I have a silent case and never hear it. Never spins up I think, maybe a little on boot.

If no rush might as well wait and get a X670 in 6-12 months time though. Probably closer to 12 now with with covid 19 getting worse by the day.

Associate
I have a TUF X570 and I've never heard the fan, even with side panel off. Temp sensor for it has never indicated a temperature above 36C on the bus that I've seen.

Granted I'm not nuking it with PCIe 4 NVME drives with huge data sets. But still.

Soldato
I have a TUF X570 and I've never heard the fan, even with side panel off. Temp sensor for it has never indicated a temperature above 36C on the bus that I've seen.

Granted I'm not nuking it with PCIe 4 NVME drives with huge data sets. But still.
Then that sensor isn't measuring temperature of chipset, but something else.
(or your PC is outside)
PCIe v4 NVMe even under load makes only small difference to chipset's power draw over idling.
It's all that hardware for all that IO capacity itself, which makes bulk of power draw:
https://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/132515-der8auer-examines-amd-x570-chipset-power-consumption/
(assuming newer BIOSes haven't somehow cut down chipset's idle draw)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Installed my X570 Aorus Elite yesterday. Cant hear the chipset fan.
Is it even spinning?

I just looked at mine and it does not spin when browsing and doing light office work. Need to check again when running a stress test or gaming to see if ever does. Even if it did when gaming my other 4x200mm fans start to spin up faster when I game due to the bios profile I made to help get rid of the heat from the case so I would never hear it anyways.

Soldato
Is it even spinning?

I just looked at mine and it does not spin when browsing and doing light office work. Need to check again when running a stress test or gaming to see if ever does. Even if it did when gaming my other 4x200mm fans start to spin up faster when I game due to the bios profile I made to help get rid of the heat from the case so I would never hear it anyways.

Haven't done any gaming yet. Took me around 7 hours to tear down my old pc and build the new one. Still haven't finished it yet. Haven't got the DRGB fans working, haven't got windows activated, haven't set up any overclocks, haven't set up windows how I like or downloaded any games etc...

But the the PC is quite fast to boot up now. :eek:

And I think I am getting at least 100MHz more boost on this board compared to my x370.

Soldato
Is it even spinning?

Gigabyte's chipset cooler is rather massive chunk and away from graphics card's heat. (unlike in Asus)
So if case cooling is good don't see why it couldn't cool passively enough most of the time.
With chipset fan's airflow guide removed it should certainly do that with some case airflow.
I mean der8auer run X570 with rather tiny heatsink

And I think I am getting at least 100MHz more boost on this board compared to my x370.
VRM pretty much crushes nearly every X370 VRM and more stable voltage could definitely help CPU to boost higher.
If board needs to compensate for less stable voltage by increasing average voltage, that makes CPU heat up slightly more limiting boost margin.
(not forgetting higher heat output of lesser VRM "radiating" to its surrounding)

That's why there's no such thing as overkill in power delivery when it comes to those record attempt overclockings.
Even the tiniest thing could give necessary edge.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Haven't done any gaming yet. Took me around 7 hours to tear down my old pc and build the new one. Still haven't finished it yet. Haven't got the DRGB fans working, haven't got windows activated, haven't set up any overclocks, haven't set up windows how I like or downloaded any games etc...

But the the PC is quite fast to boot up now. :eek:

Looking forward to see how much better it will perform on this mobo as a lot of people made it sound like mobo makes no difference at all. But I get the feeling my mobo has helped with my 4.4GHz all core 24 OC at 1.275v :D

Gigabyte's chipset cooler is rather massive chunk and away from graphics card's heat. (unlike in Asus)
So if case cooling is good don't see why it couldn't cool passively enough most of the time.
With chipset fan's airflow guide removed it should certainly do that with some case airflow.
I mean der8auer run X570 with rather tiny heatsink
Indeed.

Associate
Then that sensor isn't measuring temperature of chipset, but something else.
(or your PC is outside)
PCIe v4 NVMe even under load makes only small difference to chipset's power draw over idling.
It's all that hardware for all that IO capacity itself, which makes bulk of power draw:
https://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/132515-der8auer-examines-amd-x570-chipset-power-consumption/
(assuming newer BIOSes haven't somehow cut down chipset's idle draw)

Nope.

They simply do not run hot in a well ventilated case.

Soldato
Nope.

They simply do not run hot in a well ventilated case.
36C over ambient would be more likely.
Laws of the physics define that temperature of heat source rises always certain amount over ambient depending on cooling system's performance for dissipating heat.
And under those big marketing covers Asus uses among the smaller of X570 heatsinks.
Even lot bigger chipset coolers are reported to have chipsets running past 60C temps.
In fact here's numbers in line with physics temps from that precisely same board:
Idle chipset in the low 60s. Gaming chipset temperature at 75-76.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/safe-x570-chipset-temperature.3531213/

So unless your PC is outside in near zero ambient, that 36C is as credible as anything said by Putin and Trump and you can throw in Boris not-Yeltsin into bunch.

Soldato
want to get your fan spinning. RAID NVMe PCIe 4.0 Stick , 2 or 3 of them and BOOM!

part from that Aorus ones and silent - if you can hear and not taxing your GPU then better case :D

most likely x670 will have it unless they do a node shrink on the chipset

Associate
36C over ambient would be more likely.
Laws of the physics define that temperature of heat source rises always certain amount over ambient depending on cooling system's performance for dissipating heat.
And under those big marketing covers Asus uses among the smaller of X570 heatsinks.
Even lot bigger chipset coolers are reported to have chipsets running past 60C temps.
In fact here's numbers in line with physics temps from that precisely same board:
Idle chipset in the low 60s. Gaming chipset temperature at 75-76.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/safe-x570-chipset-temperature.3531213/

So unless your PC is outside in near zero ambient, that 36C is as credible as anything said by Putin and Trump and you can throw in Boris not-Yeltsin into bunch.

Neither the board in that area nor the cooler when not spinning get warm to the touch ... nor does the sensor indicate that it gets hot.

What do you want me to say? It's not getting hit hard, so why should it get hot?

Soldato
Neither the board in that area nor the cooler when not spinning get warm to the touch ... nor does the sensor indicate that it gets hot.

What do you want me to say? It's not getting hit hard, so why should it get hot?
Unless later BIOSes have somehow lowered power draw to X470 level since der8auer's measurements, I believe to that number as much I believe to politicians.
That sensor can be entirely outside chipset/wrong sensor mixed up by software, or gotten some German "odometer service" to get good marketing numbers.

You aren't touching any actual cooler, it's all just plastic marketing shell you're touching.
Actual heatsink is precisely same as in this all the way to Strix X570-F:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-prime-x570-pro/3.html
It's physically impossible for that tiny heatsink to keep 7-8W heat output at 36C without very high fan speed, unless ambient temperature is near freezing.

Associate
OP
There should be another sensor reporting a higher temperature.
Having read a few posts on this a lot of people are referencing the wrong (lower) number.

The fanless Aorus Xtreme will keep the chipset at around 40c-45c.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Chip set fan, what chip set fan? :D

Sits around 27c.

Here's the chip in question.
DSCF8318.jpg

Block installed.
DSCF8335.jpg

Would only fit if the GPU is water cooled.
DSCF8341.jpg

DSCF8347.jpg

Back
Top Bottom