TNA

Caporegime
Chip set fan, what chip set fan? :D

Sits around 27c.

Here's the chip in question.
DSCF8318.jpg

Block installed.
DSCF8335.jpg

Would only fit if the GPU is water cooled.
DSCF8341.jpg

DSCF8347.jpg
Nice :D

What case and watercooling gear your got there?

Soldato
Chip set fan, what chip set fan? :D

Sits around 27c.

Here's the chip in question.
Block installed.
Would only fit if the GPU is water cooled.

Nice, that's what I plan on doing to my master if I have a job left once this whole pandemic thing is over!

Could I ask that you measure how high the top of the block sits from the motherboard if you get a chance?

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
again, I wish I'd gone Aorus master instead Msi Ace. No block for the Ace, even though it does look the heatpipe can be detached from the wider heatsink without issue. What would be more tricky is the nvme heat spreaders rely on the chipset heatsink cover to mount. Not ideal!

Associate
Can someone tell the main benefit's of X670 over B550? is it just purely overclocking, more expansions and bandwidth?

i'm using 1080ti with 4770k so its bottlenecking atm.

I'm considering buying 3300x / b550 in june with some 3600mhz dark pro ram and an 500/1tb nvme. then upgrading cpu to 4600x/4700x/4800x when that comes out later this year.

Is it worth holding out for X670. I'm not playing much atm only warzone and some casual wow so not in desperate need at the minute. waiting for cyberpunk, ac valhalla, wow shadowlands. Only used for gaming no streaming or editing.

I will be looking at X670 tomahawk / b550 tomahawk

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone tell the main benefit's of X670 over B550? is it just purely overclocking, more expansions and bandwidth?

i'm using 1080ti with 4770k so its bottlenecking atm.

I'm considering buying 3300x / b550 in june with some 3600mhz dark pro ram and an 500/1tb nvme. then upgrading cpu to 4600x/4700x/4800x when that comes out later this year.

Is it worth holding out for X670. I'm not playing much atm only warzone and some casual wow so not in desperate need at the minute. waiting for cyberpunk, ac valhalla, wow shadowlands. Only used for gaming no streaming or editing.

I will be looking at X670 tomahawk / b550 tomahawk

I would hold out till Zen 3 releases as a 3300x wont be a huge amount different to what you have right now especially if your overclocking the 4770k. Intel could also be considered as its slightly better for gaming and will have another cpu line released next year on the z490 whereas zen 3 will be the last on AM4.

Soldato
Yeh got it OC'd to 4.3 atm. It's no problem to buy and sell. Don't want intel, going team red.
X670 Probably wont be out till the end of the year if at all. If you want to grab something now its either X570 or B550 in a month, the x570 tomahawk does look a good shout though if you can find one.

Associate
OP
Just seen the Z490 board details - 3 active fans. At least you'll know when they fail by the smell of burning VRMs.

Guess Intel won't be getting my money either. Think I'll just hibernate until 2022.

Soldato
renderTimingPixel.png
Aorus Elite X570 chipset fan not spinning @53'c.
I have set the fan curve to performance and IIRC that means start @ 40'c. Its not spinning even at 53'c. I restarted HWiNFO as I saw the chipset was at 53'c and the fan speed sensor pops up. Its original name was CPU but my CPU is on the CPU water header since I'm using an Kraken X72 and a system fan is on CPU fan header both of which are normally in HWiNFO. So I renamed it to SB (south bridge). I can't enter the bios right now as in 78% through a merge partition process on an old drive with 20MB/s at 3.5TB of data to move.

I think this is the basis for an RMA.

I was looking at the wrong sensor for Chipset temp, once the Gigabyte sensor (which reads a lower temperature) gets to 40'c the chipset fan does spin.

Last edited:
Associate
Reading various user reviews it seems the chipset fans are averaging 55-60c in a brand new system that has no degradation or dust buildup, with current ambient temps 15c lower than the height of summer. Considering the fans kick in at 60c it won't be long before the 0rpm "silent" mode disappears for most users.

The fan itself is rated for 60,000 hours or 7 years when run 24/7. My current PC has been running 24/7 for 8 years and its replacement is expected to last just as long. In that time I've had to replace most of the fans to retain a quiet system.

A not so bold prediction - Every summer for the next 5 years this forum will be flooded with complaints about the X570 Chipset Fan.
Pointed 12cm fan and fan rarely goes faster than 300/450rpm. And temperature, even under load, very, very rare to cross 60C.

Soldato
The fan itself is rated for 60,000 hours or 7 years when run 24/7.
Worth noting that the 60k hours figure is operational hours (I know you understood that hence the 24/7 calc but some reading may not), for the average motherboard it will take decades if not centuries for one of the PCH fans to actually hit it's life expectancy.

The obvious outlier to that is the boards whose manufacturers launched them with a "release it then make it work" mentality and whose owners haven't updated the BIOS yet, but for >99% of users the fans aren't an issue. If everything is working properly they should be off at idle, off at load for most users and running at load for some users yet still inaudible.

I've never even seen mine spin aside from one test I did to make sure it worked, but then I don't use the chipset PCI-E slots, M.2 slot, USB ports or SATA ports so it's not really doing that all that much anyway.

Soldato
I've owned boards with chipset fans in the past, nothing but trouble. I wouldn't buy another one, I just don't trust them. If the Z490 chipset fan rumour is true I think that is going to be one hell of a problem, with noise heat & dust. I'll pass on that.

Back
Top Bottom