X570 Motherboard for £200-250

Soldato
I am putting together a secondary setup (5800X) and I am looking for an X570 board for around the £200- 250 mark, Any good suggestions? The MSI Tomahawk seems a popular choice, how does it stack up against the Gigabyte and Asus boards?

Associate
Yes I'm happy with my Tomahawk. Despite its stupid pointless minimalist LEDs, and Sata headers in a place where big GPUs make them tougher to reach. And no heat fins on top of the M.2 heatspreaders.

But it is stable now the UEFI (bios) updates made the grade (ok that's really down to AMD chipset updates rather than MSI)

Soldato
OP
Yes I'm happy with my Tomahawk. Despite its stupid pointless minimalist LEDs, and Sata headers in a place where big GPUs make them tougher to reach. And no heat fins on top of the M.2 heatspreaders.

But it is stable now the UEFI (bios) updates made the grade (ok that's really down to AMD chipset updates rather than MSI)

I like my tomahawk.

Thanks for the feedback and good to hear the Tomahawk is stable. Also thanks for listing a few quirks, always good to hear these before hand.

Any other issues or things to note on the Tomahawk?

I have had a quick look at the Asus boards but I am concerned that the chipset fan is placed directly under the gpu and I have read that the Gigabyte boards have a cold boot issue? Hence the Tomahawk seems to be my favourite at the moment, I have also been looking at the Unify.

Last edited:
Associate
I am going to be the outlier here and say that you should seriously look at the B550 Unify. I have both boards and suffice to say the X570 Tomahawk is sat in its box in the cupboard.

Soldato
I am going to be the outlier here and say that you should seriously look at the B550 Unify. I have both boards and suffice to say the X570 Tomahawk is sat in its box in the cupboard.

I did look at it but what put me off is if you have top 2 m.2 slots filled with gen 4.0 enabled it reduces the GPU slot to x8 I know it's still enough

Soldato
OP
Love my Tomahawk no regrets!!

You can’t beat it for the money.

Thanks and good to hear.

Interesting.

I have had a look at the B550 boards mainly for matx options, however I could only see the absence of a chipset fan as a benefit. Could you expand on why you prefer the B550 to the X570? :)

I have also been looking at the Unify X570 but no one has any stock at the moment. I also like the look of the X570 Strix - E but the chipset fan location is a concern.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks orbital, the tomahawk and unify x570 are at the top of my list. I am going to order some time this week.
any reason for x570 over b550 ? some b550 can save a lot of cash , even toma range will save £40

Same boat here I've settled on the x570 unify just waiting on stock now

check out the master for £20 more in some places . UK RMA for a costly board

Soldato
any reason for x570 over b550 ? some b550 can save a lot of cash , even toma range will save £40

Pretty sure the b550 only 1 m.2 slot is pcie 4.0 the others pcie 3.0 or GPU is x8 if have option to have both m.2 slots to Pcie 4.0

Gigabyte x570 master is £330 , unify £265-£275

Also like to have 3 m.2 Pcie 4.0 slots while keeping GPU at x16

With b550 you have to compromise can't have all at pcie 4.0 and GPU x8

Soldato
Gigabyte x570 master is £330 , unify £265-£275

Also like to have 3 m.2 Pcie 4.0 slots while keeping GPU at x16

With b550 you have to compromise can't have all at pcie 4.0 and GPU x8

b550 master as you say drops to x8 PCie 4 or x16 PCIe 3 but allows the other 3 m.2 to run at x4 PCIe 4.0. think only b550 that does.

ah, nice that unify can be had cheaper! superior vrm set up on the master does bump up the price

Soldato
OP
Same boat here I've settled on the x570 unify just waiting on stock now

Nice one. From what I have seen it might be coming this week.

I am not really worried about saving a bit by going for the B550, my other board is a X570 Crosshair Dark Hero so this by that account is a cheaper board. I really just want the full feature set that the X570 has too offer, the only downside to these x570 (excluding the Dark Hero) is the chipset fan which from what I have read never spins up. Plus the pc is loacted 5m away from me.

As for the Unify and Tomahawk there are two reasons why I would go for the Unify over the Tomahawk and that is the fault read out and clear cmos button. Other than that I think either board will be suitable. :)

Back
Top Bottom