X6800 but which mobo?

Associate
Been thinking of building a dog's b*****x gaming system as my previous system was built in 2002. Processor wd be X6800 EE, 2X8800 GTXs but a bit confused about memory and mobos. But speciallay the mobo. Any idea which mobo is best suited for the system? cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd take the Quad Core Kentsfield processor if your budget is high.

Pair it with a Gigabyte DS3, as the 680i/650i boards have issues with overclocking it apparantly.

Soldato
Tute said:
I'd take the Quad Core Kentsfield processor if your budget is high.

Pair it with a Gigabyte DS3, as the 680i/650i boards have issues with overclocking it apparantly.

Do they ? :confused: :p

If anything they probably overclock better since the ram wont hold you back.

Last edited:
Suspended
Tute said:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17688937

Not sure if it's true, but do you really want to take the chance when the DS3 is a damn awesome board in it's own right? :)

No risk imo, mine runs flawlessly and so does everyone else's I know IRL who has it - as well as many people in the virtual world. Many pebkac's about ;) Plus the people with a problem will always shout the loudest.

Every motherboard model ever has its faulty ones, it goes with the territory of buying a mobo. But there are a lot of advantages with the 680i compared to the competition that when putting together the ultimate gaming rig (as the OP is clearly doing) there is no other option other than the 680i of some breed (BFG,EVGA,ECS,ABIT,DFI). Why spend all that money and then settle for a budget mobo? :confused:

He clearlly needs the BEST SLI motherboard about to run his 8800GTX's, plus you get the 3rd PCI-E slot free for Physx which is looking like its going to be needed for UT3/Allan Wake...etc.

Associate
OP
Thanks all of ya for the info. I actually was a bit more inclined towards the 680i boards ECS/EVGA, but have been hearing good results from the DS3. What memory you guys suggest for both boards pref 680i. BTW I am not sure about the quad core. Its not being used in games or is it?

Last edited:
Associate
rezza said:
...BTW I am not sure about the quad core. Its not being used in games or is it?

X6800 prices - where you can find them - are typically within c.£20 of QX6700 (pls delete if this breaches forum rules)

Most current games aren't optimised for multicore (2* or 4*). But that's changing right now.

My personal preference would be for QX6600 atm, but with a 3 month old X6800 build I can wait (honest).

Back
Top Bottom