XBLA content 'grey area'

Soldato
Okay so me and the missus are both avid gamers and both have gold live accounts. We also both download a fair bit of content from the marketplace, when I take my gamertag round to hers and play I get the option to re download content I have already purchased onto her hardrive and play it in addition I get access to all of the games she has downloaded and play them.

Now heres where the grey area lies - would it be wrong - illegal for her to bring her GT round to mine and re download all of her XBLA games onto my HD so I can play them using my tag and vice versa thus we would be kind of 'sharing' the content which, thiking about this I get the feeling MS would not be happy with, but on the other hand its no different from having a boxed product and playing it on her machine/GT seems like a massive loophole to me, but maybe this was not closed beacuse of the fact that as I have said as a game you should be able to take it anywhere and play it. :confused:

I'm reluctant to test this as I dont want my gamertag banned and probably wont bother as I wont really play any of her games but just wondering :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
There is no loophole afaik. The content you download is licenced to a: the console it was originally downloaded to, and b: the gamertag used to download it.

Last I checked you could play content on another console, provided you were signed into xbox live with the licence holding gamertag.

Associate
As stated already, the content is licenced to the console and the GT and can't be transfered.

But in future ( for new purchases ) you can log in to her 360 and download the games. Then the game is on her console but is associated with your account. So you go home and re download it, then both accounts can use the data.

Soldato
OP
I see, just wondering as I took my gamertag round the other night and wanted to play trigger heart, I re downloaded this to my GF's console and played it but as I 'own' the game and it is tied to my console she wont be able to play it?

Soldato
I see, just wondering as I took my gamertag round the other night and wanted to play trigger heart, I re downloaded this to my GF's console and played it but as I 'own' the game and it is tied to my console she wont be able to play it?

Yes. When the DLC is being played on a different console than it was purchased on it needs the owners gamertag signed in (or at least present I think!) When playing on the console the DLC was purchased on the owners gamertag isnt needed - am pretty sure thats right 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In a nutshell - if you want to play your content on her console, you will need to be signed in with your gamertag. If you want to play her content on your console, you will need to be signed in with her gamertag.

Back
Top Bottom