xbox 360 & monitor. getting a lot of ghosting

Associate
i recently got an xbox 360 and i bought a 22" monitor for using with the xbox, i then bought what i thought was genuine 360 vga cable off ebay for £7 but its a chinese special nicely packed to look like a oem product, the cable does look decent.

I set the xbox display to 1690 x 1050, after this the dashboard had lots of ghosting on the screen, game play was not as noticiable but it still had ghosting going on.

have i chosen the wrong resolution or is it likely its my cable that causing the ghosting ?

Last edited:
Associate
I have heard that crapy non MS cables can often be the blame for these types of issues. it might be worth buying a fully MS 1 and giving that ago?

Soldato
Assuming it isn't the monitor's fault through the VGA connection (which is doubtful). And you have 60HZ 1680x1050 selected as the res... the only thing it could be is the cable.

Can you try someone else's, or test it on another monitor?

Soldato
i recently got an xbox 360 and i bought a 22" monitor for using with the xbox, i then bought what i thought was genuine 360 vga cable off ebay for £7 but its a chinese special nicely packed to look like a oem product, the cable does look decent.

I set the xbox display to 1650 x 1080, after this the dashboard had lots of ghosting on the screen, game play was not as noticiable but it still had ghosting going on.

have i chosen the wrong resolution or is it likely its my cable that causing the ghosting ?

Would be the dodgy chinese cable mate, try get an official one.

Associate
hi, its the cable no doubt about it, a friend used an alternative and the ghosting was terrible, that chinese immigrant is sure to be made as cheaply as possible

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies guys, unfortunately i dont have another vga cable to try so ill try it on another monitor and see if its the same, the monitor is a 5ms response time.

I just wanted to make sure i had the resolution right.

Soldato
def teh cable. I had a mad catz one originally when the official ones were in very short supply after release and the ghosting from that mad catz one was realy bad. I did have a post/pic of the difference on here a while ago but it's gone now

Associate
Can only echo what has been said here already mate. Get the MS official VGA cable. I've been using one with my 22" monitor for about a week now and it works perfectly at 1680x1050

I think the general rule of thumb is that anything under 8ms is generally okay for gaming with 5-2ms being ideal.

Back
Top Bottom