Xbox 360 - Next Generation of TV Entertainment

Soldato
http://majornelson.com/2011/10/05/xbox-360-teams-up-with-entertainment-leaders-to-transform-tv/

Today we are happy to announce plans to roll out the next generation of TV entertainment on Xbox LIVE. We have nearly 40 world class TV and entertainment providers coming to Xbox LIVE including: Bravo, Comcast, HBO GO, Verizon FiOS and Syfy in the U.S.; BBC TV and radio in the U.K.; Telefónica in Spain; Rogers On Demand in Canada; Televisa in Mexico; ZDF in Germany; and MediaSet in Italy, that will begin rolling out to consoles in more than 20 countries this holiday.

Entertainment Partners on Xbox 360 (Existing and New)

• ABC iView – Australia
• AlloCiné – France, Germany, Spain, U.K.
• Antena 3 – Spain
• Astral Media’s Disney XD – Canada
• AT&T** – U.S.
BBC – U.K.
• blinkbox – U.K.
• Bravo – U.S.
• BSkyB** – U.K.
• Canal+* – France, Spain
Channel 4 – U.K.
Channel 5 – U.K.
• CinemaNow (Best Buy) – U.S.
• Comcast – U.S.
• Crackle – Australia, Canada, U.K., U.S.
• Dailymotion – Available in 32 markets
• EPIX – U.S.
• ESPN** – U.S.
• Facebook** – Available in all 35 Xbox LIVE markets
• FOXTEL** – Australia
• GolTV – Spain
• HBO GO – U.S.
• Hulu – Japan
• Hulu +**– U.S.
• iHeartRadio (Clear Channel) – U.S.
• Last.fm** – U.K., U.S.
LOVEFiLM – Germany, U.K.
• Manga Entertainment – U.S.
• Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment/Real Sports – Canada
• MediaSet – Italy
• MSN with MSNBC.com – Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, U.K.
• MUZU.TV – France, Germany, Italy, Spain, U.K.
• Netflix**– Canada, U.S.
• Rogers On Demand Online (RODO) – Canada
• RTVE – Spain
• SBS On Demand – Australia
• Syfy – U.S.
• Telefonica – Spain
• Televisa – Mexico
• “The Today Show” – U.S.
• TELUS** – Canada
• TMZ – U.S.
• Twitter** – Available in all 35 Xbox LIVE markets
• UFC – Canada, U.S.
• Verizon – U.S.
• VEVO – Canada, U.K., U.S.
• VimpelCom** – Russia
• Vodafone Portugal** – Portugal
• YouTube – Available in 22 markets
• ZDF – Germany
• Zune** – Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain

* Xbox LIVE Gold membership and/or other subscriptions/fees required. Kinect functionality varies by feature, provider and region.
** Denotes existing partners on Xbox LIVE available today.

Finally get iPlayer, 4OD and such on the 360, and no Gold subscription is required either!

Soldato
Zune available in Norway. Woo! I sure hope that means I can then use my XBL account on my phone.

Other than that, meh for Norwegian accounts. Luckily my other half has a UK one :D

Soldato
OP
The omission of ITV Player is a blessing tbh. Thought iPlayer would appear, but its nice to see 4OD too.

Wonder will it offer PVR functions though?

Caporegime
BBC – U.K.
Channel 4 – U.K.
Channel 5 – U.K.
Crackle – Australia, Canada, U.K., U.S.
LOVEFiLM – Germany, U.K.
MSN with MSNBC.com – Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, U.K.
MUZU.TV – France, Germany, Italy, Spain, U.K.
VEVO – Canada, U.K., U.S.
YouTube – Available in 22 markets

I don't know what all of these are, but the ones I do know are impressive!! I guess the finer details will be released closer to the time, but Youtube and VEVO are things I would love to have on the PS3.

tbh 360 promised some sort of BTVision, streaming TV thing a couple of years back and that didn't amount to anything, but this list is impressive (FOR FREE, there is more stuff for Gold people). It's the kind of thing that a couple of years ago I would have expected MS to charge for, but impressed it is free for all (silver/gold users).

I can't really justify buying a 360 again, but Youtube/VEVO access for free (hopefully the same streams you get on the web but with a better interface) adds to the arguement of getting one (for me). Mainly for convenience more than anything else. My laptop makes a godawful racket after watching youtube for an hour and it gives me a headache!

Because unlike a web browser this offers full PVR, voice and gesture controlled.
Ignoring the hyperbole about waving hands and talking to your TV (which I have never understood as pressing buttons is faster), how does the PVR work? Do you think you will be able to save some of this content locally? Again, for Youtube and VEVO it would be very impressive as you can't do that (legally) on PC/Mac/Phones etc. Ch5, 4OD and iPlayer are already Streaming PVR solutions with time limits, so I can't see them letting you record that content locally (due to rights and licensing etc).

rp2000

Associate
i also cant wait to see what kind of content we will get! fingers crossed

any free movie stuff?

Associate
Damn, can't wait. Hopefully 4OD will up their quality. Its terrible on my 15.4" on my laptop I would not even like to think what it looks like on a 32" screen. Go to 4od now and look at their quality, its a mess.

Top Bottom