Xbox 360 with Blu-ray by september???

Soldato
I have heard this a few times, but Microsoft keep coming out and denying it. They need to do it to be honest, but they have already dug themselves into a hole, because they can't really release games on Blu-ray because of the huge amount of Xboxes with normal DVD drives for games.

I could really be only for movies - because I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to buy an entire new console to play new games, it would have to be an add-on ala the HD-DVD drive.

Smells like the 32X from days of yore to me.

Rich

Soldato
After working in a certain shop and speaking to microsoft reps i have been informed that they have a blue ray drive up and running at microsoft HQ and have had for a while. So its coming

Soldato
Games won't use it. It will be just like the HD-DVD player, but perhaps, this time, internal. Thats all. But thats enough to make the 360 gain an important tick box when compared to the PS3.

Soldato
OP
Games won't use it. It will be just like the HD-DVD player, but perhaps, this time, internal. Thats all. But thats enough to make the 360 gain an important tick box when compared to the PS3.

My thoughts exactly, xbox 360 with blu ray... most likely cheaper than the Ps3 aswell. Would stop people saying ah but the ps3 plays blu rays too...

If handled well it could be a good move by Microsoft, as well as good for the consumer as I'd have thought there would have to be some kind of price war if this happened

Valve

Associate
I still dont believe this will be for the 360.
Remember the 360 is nearing the end of its life-cycle (due to be replaced 2010), surely Microsoft is already working on the next version - hence the Blu-Ray development.

Soldato
OP
If they could get one out with Blu ray before the end of this year, they would have probably a year and a half before the new model came out in 2010. Which to me would make more sense than waiting for another 2 years nearly to be able to offer blu ray, which at the moment is still quite a selling point of the PS3!!!

Valve

Caporegime
What took them so long? I think it's a case of too little too late now.

I admit though I'd be tempted if it played games more quietly than the £10 DVD drives they put in them at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 360 is not nearing its end of life. Even if its successor does come out in 2010, which would mean 2.5 years time, it won't be killed off as fast as the Xbox 1 was. Besides, in 2010, it would be 5 years old, which is about the same time as the gap was between the PS1 and PS2. The PS3 was 6 years after the PS2, but it was delayed a fair bit.

Associate
The 360 is not nearing its end of life. Even if its successor does come out in 2010, which would mean 2.5 years time, it won't be killed off as fast as the Xbox 1 was. Besides, in 2010, it would be 5 years old, which is about the same time as the gap was between the PS1 and PS2. The PS3 was 6 years after the PS2, but it was delayed a fair bit.

Dude you misinterpreted my use of "life-cycle" not "life".
Besides 2010 is 1.5 years time (unless your living in 2006) ;):p

Soldato

Yes indeed but the importance here is as Microsoft are starting to loose the Hardware battle because of the value a PS3 offers with internal BD drive and movie playback.

IMO Microsoft will need to have a BD capable internal drive, possibly even a HD-DVD/BluRay and DVD capable drive (like the LG Pc Drives) which means it can jump onboard the Hi Def movie player battle. Blu Ray will start to take off by the end of this year and with the battle of formats now concluded theirs no risk. PS3 is gaining many sales because it supports BD movies pure and simple, fantastic multipurpose machine that it is.

Microsoft can continue to reduce the price of the current range but theirs definately a market out their for a machine thats £50 more but with a BD movie playback. As such the price would be probably £ for £ to a PS3 price.

Associate
The only reason I could see them integrating a blu-ray drive with the current 360 is that they would be using the same drive for their next console. Using it as more of a test or fact finding mission, if it works well or if there are issues they can work on them before the next console rather than once the console is mass released.

Though I really dont believe this current gen xbox will have blu-ray, could it not just be this company have been hired to make the drive for the next console? As mentioned above surely they must be working on it at this time, and would make more sense than them retro-fitting one to this console.

Soldato
but they have already dug themselves into a hole, because they can't really release games on Blu-ray because of the huge amount of Xboxes with normal DVD drives for games.

So far, I'm pretty sure not 1 PS3 game has shown that games need to be so massive that they can only fit on a Blu-Ray disc. I don't care what developers say, but I haven't seen one game where I can see where all that disc space has gone.

So no hole has been dug there.

There is no way they would release a 360 with a built in Blu-Ray drive. Maybe external thats fine. But they never and always said they wouldn't produce a 360 with a built in HD DVD drive so I don't see what's so different now that Blu-Ray is now the leader in HD media.

But hey I would be pretty surprised if it's true. I wouldn't find it very exciting though. After all it's still just a 360. Blu-Ray isn't going to change gaming for it.

Soldato

I think MS have to announce a successor by spring next year with production in 9 months possibly Nov 09 or early 2010 at latest. Personally i see PS3 killing X360 next year in sales with the arrival in Home/PS3 reduced prices and Blu Ray really becoming the favoured movie format for BD hardware owners over DVD with HDTV sales continuing the way they are.

Regards MS next machine it will be a BD drive id bet my house on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom