1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox controller has a built in charger.

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by D1craig, 10 Apr 2021.

1. D1craig

Wise Guy

As title they actually have pins inside them that can charge battery packs that make use of them. Wtf is all that about? Surely they should come with a battery pack built in. This looks like a blatant cash grab from them.

2. Soulja

Capodecina

Apparently MS have a deal with energizer and that's why they don't have inbuilt batteries.

3. MadFruit

Mobster

Deal is with Duracel.

I don't want built in, I've got rechargeables that I switch around when they go dead, then I just keep playing cordless. I can't understand the benefit of built in. What happens when the batteries eventually die? New controller time? Do not understand this obsession with built in batteries being better.

Also, completely bewildered over the "blatant cash grab comment". Some people just want to be outraged.

4. dakaiez

Soldato

Coming from the PS4 with rechargeable pad I hated it, having to have a wire in if I forgot to charge now I just switch rechargeable batteries.

Having the freedom to switch batteries and buy new ones without opening up is brilliant.

5. D1craig

Wise Guy

Much easier to just plug the charger in than it is to keep batteries lying around the house.

it is an obvious cash grab or an after thought. Why would they have it built in when they don’t use it, it is easily inferior the way it is. I have 2 battery packs that I can use for the pad I have now that use a cable plugged directly into them rather than into the actual pad. I never noticed the built in facility until I was checking out some bigger capacity batteries. So much more fiddling about using rechargeable AA batteries. I was very surprised I couldn’t find anywhere discussing this tbh.

you get nothing for defending them, it’s not like they see these posts...

The only time i thought I needed to change a PlayStation battery was because I used a wall charger to charge one up which was too powerful for the ****** USB port they use so it got damaged (probably after many charges). The new battery wouldn’t charge.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2021
  6. D1craig

Wise Guy

I could only see 2 versions of battery packs that use this charging method and one was Microsoft official ones at 50% increased price but no bigger capacity.

7. KraniX

Mobster

Microsoft have said this isn't true.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...x-controllers-because-of-a-deal-with-duracell

Personally I prefer the charging pack option, I've had to dispose of a couple of PSP and Vita batteries which have swollen, I don't want that happening to my PS and Switch controllers in years to come.

8. MrRockliffe

Mobster

Way better having a removable battery. Don’t have to chuck the controller away when it’s dead

And to those saying it’s easy to replace the internal battery - realistically how many do?

9. Begbie

Caporegime

My Xbox pad has rechargeables in, much easier IMO.

Easier than running a cable over for the PS4 one.

10. McPhee

Soldato

Another vote here for using AAs.

Dual Shock 4 - 1,000mAh battery.
    Dualsense - 1,560mAh battery.
    Xbox Play & Charge Kit - 1,400mAh.
    IKEA's LADDA AA - 2,450mAh. Each.

4,900mAh lasts a long, long time :p. When they run out I just swap them over with fully charged ones. No down time. No messing around plugging a controller in. Also a winner on cost; £5.50 for four batteries plus £6 for the charger.

Classic case of people putting 1 & 1 together and getting 6.

11. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Don’t bother, people who believe in conspiracy theories don’t respond to any form of reasoning or logic.

12. stoofa

Capodecina

My Dual Sense charger sits, plugged in all the time.
    One controller always sitting on the charger, one in use (unless we're playing anything 2 player, but the Dual Sense batteries just seem to last forever).

13. Noxia

Sgarrista

Not sure I have a preference either way. I've certainly never had an internal battery pack up in any device.

14. CHokKA

Mobster

How is it a cash grab? You don't have to buy their rechargeable battery packs, and tbh doing so is a bit silly when good rechargeable 8 X AA batteries and a charger can be bought online for under £25 and they last for ages. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. It really isn't a big deal. In fact having AA support gives you more choice and also stops you from binning a controller when the battery starts to fail.

I think people just want to moan about everything these days.

Oh, and the bit about MS having a deal with a battery producer isn't anywhere near true but whatever, apparently we didn't land on the moon, the earth is flat, and the COVID vaccine has been designed to track our every move so go figure!

15. ScarySquirrel

Capodecina

I'd much rather be able to use my own batteries. I have a whole load of Eneloop rechargeables that I have on rotation. They last ages, take 2 seconds to swap over, and if the batteries ever derteriorate I can buy more (this has never happened though).

When I had a PS4 I only had one controller, and it was so annoying that I had to plug it in if I wanted to carry on playing, because I wasn't able to just change the batteries.

Choice = better, in my view

16. Hotwired

Sgarrista

A cash grab that lets you use... standard batteries?

Someone should have a word with them about how to lock things down for a cash grab.

17. Gray2233

Mobster

Microsoft have done this since the 360.

While I think they should package the controllers with a rechargeable battery pack given the price you pay, I do prefer the fact you can swap batteries out and aren't forced to buy MS branded stuff. The battery in the PS4 controller was horrendous, and while it wasn't difficult for me to swap in a better capacity battery it was still added faff and cost. Not to mention most people wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, either due to voiding warranties or just not being confident with taking the things apart.

I don't really see how there's any "cash grabbing" going on though.

18. jrwagh333

Soldato

There is no battery deal lol

19. D1craig

Wise Guy

Ok ignore the cash grab part.

I just find it so much easier to plug my controller in after every use and let it charge for the at least 16 hours a day I’m not going to be using the thing. Plugging batteries into a battery charger is not nearly as simple as plugging the usb cable in, I’m not saying either is difficult but I have plenty of AA and AAA rechargeable batteries around the house but I can’t find my charger lol. The fact almost non of the battery packs on the market make use of the built in battery pack charger baffles me, they almost all need to be plugged into the battery and won’t charge if plugged into the controller.

I have 4 or more usb cables plugged into my pc that I can just plug into the controller to charge. I don’t foresee that ever being less preferable than using rechargeable AAs...

I did get a pair of Duracell AAs in the box with my new controller.

20. KraniX

Mobster

I use an official rechargeable battery pack from my One S, can be removed/replaced and charging is simple via a cable so best of both worlds