PC Game Pass (was Xbox Game Pass for PC)

Soldato
Heads up, if you've got a game downloading via the app and close the app, Windows will continue the download in the background from the store, even if the app is totally closed down.

Only found out last night as my Internet went to crap when I thought nothing was downloading.

Associate
Heads up, if you've got a game downloading via the app and close the app, Windows will continue the download in the background from the store, even if the app is totally closed down.

Only found out last night as my Internet went to crap when I thought nothing was downloading.

Thats what most of these apps do though isn't it? I'm sure steam only stops a download if you start a steam game.

Soldato
Thats what most of these apps do though isn't it? I'm sure steam only stops a download if you start a steam game.

Not really because if you exit the steam app completely, it stops the download, same with origin, uplay, epic, etc.

With gamepass, you can totally close down the app but download continues through Windows store. I would imagine it's because the app itself probably just prompts the start of the download from the store and doesn't really do any of the download itself.

Soldato

Yeah these store games are completely different to normal installs.

It's all done through windows.

Resolution changes are HDR settings are done though windows control panel as well.

Also on store if ya download runs out of space or fails to install you normally have to start whole download again.

Soldato
I have ultimate.... It shows on my app ready to download but then fails. Xbox doesn't show the game at all.
Oh that's a known bug, Microsoft have a list of potential fixes as can happen to all games

I had this and none worked ended up having to reinstall Windows

Associate
Not really because if you exit the steam app completely, it stops the download, same with origin, uplay, epic, etc.

With gamepass, you can totally close down the app but download continues through Windows store. I would imagine it's because the app itself probably just prompts the start of the download from the store and doesn't really do any of the download itself.

Oh right, I always thought they just got with it in the background..
I've learnt something new.. Thank you. I'll start knocking them off completely when I'm watching a video or something now.

Soldato
Oh right, I always thought they just got with it in the background..
I've learnt something new.. Thank you. I'll start knocking them off completely when I'm watching a video or something now.

Yeah it's a right pain. Made me realise what's caused a lot of bandwidth issues over the last few months.

Associate
Quick question..I made a recent amd ryzen x570 build bought from oculus and I think it was supposed to come with 3 months Xbox pass for pc..

Anyone know how I use that as I never got a voucher/code or anything to use?

Thanks

Soldato
Quick question..I made a recent amd ryzen x570 build bought from oculus and I think it was supposed to come with 3 months Xbox pass for pc..

Anyone know how I use that as I never got a voucher/code or anything to use?

Thanks

I think they are supposed to email it to you. I have seen a few threads saying same thing. Just contact place ya bought it from if ya haven't got it.

Soldato
I'm a bit confused guys. Can someone clear this up please.

I've got the XBOX Game Pass Ultimate and have been subscribed to it for 2 months. I was under the impression that allows me to install and play 100's of games on PC. But I've just gone to download and install Gears 5 but the install button is greyed out. It is released now if you have the ultimate game pass right? Or am I being silly here?

I've not played my console in ages, do I need to stop that sub and get a different version of the game pass? (the PC gamepass) What adds to the confusion is, I've downloaded Sea Of Thieves on PC for free with the gamepass subscription I have.

Last edited:
Associate
@TonyTurbo78 No man that should cover it and my friend was having the same problem the other day, try and update the app if you can but looking at recent comments a few have had the same experience as yourself. Maybe try searching different search editions via the PC app.

Back
Top Bottom