PC Game Pass (was Xbox Game Pass for PC)

Soldato
How long has it been going now? I've never paid more than £1 a month yet so happy to keep subbing whilst it's that price. I was only thinking about cloud saves this afternoon wondering where the heck my Subnautica saves are kept. I did find them with some googling. Some games save to AppData in some folders underneath.

It's been the case since I first installed a game from MS Store. The whole game filesystem is impenetrable and weirdly labelled.

GameSave Manager

Used for years, not sure if it will auto find the MS folder but you can add it manually.

https://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Wow, GSM did indeed find them! I've used and liked this program in the past, but I didn't actually have much hope it would find these saves, given the folders and files it's ended up pickinh up have names that don't indicate that they are saves or associated with any game.

But it has copied a couple of files across. I trust they're the right ones! Thanks for the idea!

Of course, the other issues still stand, and I don't have any confidence these files will be compatible with the same game installed using a different client (say, if I buy the games through Steam or Epic at some point), but it's solved my current problem, so cheers!

Permabanned
:)

I simply let it back up to my Ext HDD but you can also use the Cloud (Google or OneDrive etc).

I am on v3 but there is a newer v4? Alpha/Beta, the save file ext is not the same but the file inside can be gotten from both via Winrar so your not going to be stuck.

Soldato
Yeah thats the reason I also didnt bother after the $1 deal. Its like a rogue piece of software that installs and tries to hide things in your PC. Plus no mods, reshade, fps cappers, steam controller etc.

Yep once I discovered what they were up to on my PC I cancelled forthwith, they're not installing files that I don't have access to.

Permabanned
LOL, try using Amazon Music, you can download albums even on normal sub AFAIK but its nowhere to be seen on your HDD, the Folder is there (you choose the Folder it uses) but it appears empty no matter what setting you change in Windows Folder Views.

Obv its for copyright protection to stop you doing anything with them but i would have expected to see some kind of file or .dat.

Caporegime
OP
Can someone help with an Xbox Game Bar problem. When you press Win+G do you get FPS details in the performance box? I can only see CPU, GPU and RAM. I wonder if they took it off or whether it’s something to do with permissions.

Associate
Can someone help with an Xbox Game Bar problem. When you press Win+G do you get FPS details in the performance box? I can only see CPU, GPU and RAM. I wonder if they took it off or whether it’s something to do with permissions.
I have noticed that it does not display in all games, not sure why though

Soldato

Mine lists "FPS" But it doesnt seem to function. No count appears just "--"

Associate
Yep once I discovered what they were up to on my PC I cancelled forthwith, they're not installing files that I don't have access to.

It's all to do with Microsoft improving the security of Windows as a whole. Two things I know the WindowsApps folder protects against is:

1) Preventing Malware/Viruses from accessing any files or installing itself into the WindowsApps folder. This is done via permissions - only the things which need access to the WindowsApps folder has permission to access it
2) Verifying that the contents of the WindowsApps folder hasn't been modified and preventing you from running the app if they have. This is to protect you against Malware which has managed to get around the permissions and then adds or modifies files in the folder

This is great for standard apps, but the problem is that it also locks down games so they can't be altered. However, I think games/apps in the WindowsApps folder are still free to read and write files to other locations (such as Documents) so games devs should still be able to store saved game files into a more accessible folder. It depends if they've bothered to do that or not!

Mods are more of an issue since you're modifying the files which are part of the game - which is exactly what the new permissions are there to protect against due to Malware. However, developers are able to store files outside of this folder to allow them to be modded if they want to. But it's down to the developer to allow it.

Soldato
dad reinstalled windows just before he done that i told him to uninstall every game on the beta app, his comp with new windows install just let him use his harddrive, it must have messed up for me because i left all the games installed :)

Soldato
I got 3 months free as part of an offer with my GPU. Looking forward to playing AOE2 for free rather than £20 on steam.

u can get more than that if you spend 2 quid, got mine up 2 june with my 3 month gpu code from october and dad has his up to july with my 3 month amd cpu code, just go back a few of my posts to see how it works :)

Associate
Oh wow dude thanks for pointing that out. I have never owned or used xbox anything except my 360 controller connected to my pc. What is the benefit of upgrading to ultimate?

Permabanned
You can read the difference on the site, I got my Standard Sub for free using a code someone here gave me and leaving auto renew on while you sign up gives you 1month extra free then I paid £1 for upgrade to Ultimate so 7months total.

Caporegime
OP
Oh wow dude thanks for pointing that out. I have never owned or used xbox anything except my 360 controller connected to my pc. What is the benefit of upgrading to ultimate?

Ultimate does absolutely nothing for PC only players. Except give you access to Gears 5 Ultimate Edition. You get Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass but they are only applicable to the Xbox console.

Soldato
The thing thats frustrating me about game pass is the number of cross platform games they are giving away, ive had a plagues tale for months on origin access, along with a few of the other recent ones they have added, and with humble monthly in the mix, thats another bunch which are also floating around on 3 platforms that i subscribe to. I wish they all stuck to exclusives.

Soldato
The thing thats frustrating me about game pass is the number of cross platform games they are giving away, ive had a plagues tale for months on origin access, along with a few of the other recent ones they have added, and with humble monthly in the mix, thats another bunch which are also floating around on 3 platforms that i subscribe to. I wish they all stuck to exclusives.
Its the publishers who decide what to include! Everytime you install a game on XGP that is when the money gets paid to the publisher as well.

Going forward clearly XGP is going to grow a lot more for the money it cost you get a lot of content & MS throwing in brand new releases on release date is a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom