Xbox one controller on PC

Soldato
purchased an Xbox one controller (Shock Blue) which is the latest generation of controller i believe for series S/X & PC.

i want to use it on PC but i thought you could just connect it via Bluetooth on the motherboard?
Or do you have to have one of those Xbox one wireless adapters for pc?

My Bluetooth isn't detecting it. :)

Soldato
Yes if it's a Bluetooth model, which it sounds like it is, you can just hook it up via Bluetooth fine. Usually connects no issues. Personally found the Bluetooth flakey so gone the the wireless stick in the end anyways, but you do not the wireless receiver for Bluetooth mode.

Soldato
OP
Ah yes,Sorted..i just needed to select the "Bluetooth - other kinds of Bluetooth devices" option in windows settings, Instead of the "Everything else - Xbox controllers".

Which seems backwards in windows lol,Connected just fine :) cheers guys!

Soldato
OP
I just use a usb cable to the PC as I'm normally sat close to it, no connection issues that way etc...

Well, Reason i wanted it fully wireless is because sometimes il play PC game on the tele away from the computer sitting down on my comfy sofa, I also have a charging dock i just place the controller in so no cables its nice that way :)

Seems all good so far :)

Associate
What games do you find are better using the controller rather than the K&M?

I'm debating getting one myself.
I had personally bought one to play PC2 and tried it on a few other racing sims and works well, instead of KB+M. While I have played FPS on consoles using the controller, I am more comfortable using the KB+M for those. Will be useful for flight sims I reckon but I have a cheap hotas for that.

Soldato

"Better" is pretty subjective.

I prefer using a gamepad over k/m in pretty much anything except RTS type games like Company of Heroes or RPG/Strategy games such as Civilization, Pathfinder Kingmaker etc.

I prefer the analogue sticks as opposed to the digital on/off with mice for movement, not to mention haptic feedback.

Last edited:
Associate

For me, anything where you can actually see your character apart from RTS games is better with a controller. Platformers, sidescrollers where you have to jump, dash, jump, parry and grab is just way easier with controllers..

First person shooters however are always better and easier with keyboard and mouse!

Associate

I personally found the following types of games "better" for the controller:

RPG/Shooter: Mass Effect series (I unfortunately started on the XBox/X360, so it was automatic for me as a continuation of muscle memory)
Fighting: Street Fighter series (better with proper 6/8 button fight stick controller, but can't be bothered to grab one, so controller better)
Fighting: Dead or Alive series (again, started on the XBox/X360, so automatic continuation)
Top Down RPG type: Ninja Gaiden series (started off on XBox/X360, again automatic continuation)
Top Down RPG type: Dungeon Hunter series (started off on mobile, and thus continuation of muscle memory control)
Puzzle type: Tetris, Hexic 3D, etc.

So really, mostly games that started off on different platforms that were controller based, or games that you really can't do : ->, \], ->, light punch, medium punch + medium kick, -> ->, light punch, v, \], ->, v, \], ->, all punches, then realise you fluffed the combo and about to be taken out and need to react and not being able to because the directional controls on the keyboard is simply not responsive enough. Or games that are more leisurely and don't need many input commands.

Soldato
The XBox One controller will work with bluetooth. But it's far more reliable (in my experience anyway) connected using the official wireless dongle instead.

The most annoying thing about the controller, compared to the previous Xbox 360 wireless controller, is that it doesn't give you any indication of the battery power remaining, so it will sometimes fail unexpectedly. But a small tip is that if you use windows key + G to open the game overlay, at the top right it does show battery capacity there.

Back
Top Bottom