xbox series x ... abit Meh?

Associate
Currently running my series x on a bog standard 4K IPS TV , no HDR or 120hz.

After playing a few different titles, I'm not exactly blown away. Image quality while pristine as most of them are native res, isn't all id hoped. Maybe coming from the enthusiast side of the PCs has taken the new gen feeling away or maybe the games I've played , mostly multi plat are just not doing justice for the hardware.

Forza Horizon 4 looks about the best in terms of asset quality etc.
BFV is really looking its age and I'm assuming without a patch its using last gen assets.
GEARS 5, looks very good at times but also **** poor at others
Warzone is another meh.looks fantastic on the PC without RT but here on xbox it still isn't as good despite enough horsepower to do so.

Going to try a few more X optimised titles today to see if somethings grabs me, any recommendations for either gorgeous looking titles or games I cant play on PC?

I will admit however the smoothness of the system is beautiful. It does feel uber polished. And the games generally do run perfectly.

Soldato
As above, they are all last gen games.

Besides The Mediuim xbox hasn't got any other exclusive series x/s games yet

Older games like forza are enhanced and there is a massive difference imo

Soldato
It's a reasonable point though. It's all rather meh given the current lineup of games.

The hardware of the X and the PS5 is incredibly impressive, but the lack of games taking proper advantage of it makes me hesitant to upgrade. I expect I'll get one in a couple of years.

Caporegime
It's a reasonable point though. It's all rather meh given the current lineup of games.

The hardware of the X and the PS5 is incredibly impressive, but the lack of games taking proper advantage of it makes me reticent to upgrade. I expect I'll get one in a couple of years.

why buy one then? If you have a competent PC and there’s nothing really there then there is zero point in buying one at the minute.

My purchase was purely based on the improvements to speed of games loading and the improvements to games overall, even though i own a one x the technical improvements were what sold me, so I’m not really fussed about new games showing of the graphical capabilities because the games I play now have all technically been improved massively.

Soldato

The hardware of the X and the PS5 is incredibly impressive, but the lack of games taking proper advantage of it makes me reticent to upgrade. I expect I'll get one in a couple of years.

I have one but I agree with this, I am enjoying it and think the under hood advancements is brilliant, such as how fast it boots up from energy save mode. But the games currently are a let down, although the PS5 has a couple such as new Spiderman, both need some seriously good next gen titles.

Soldato
Last gen multiplatform games look better on PC, who would have thought!?

Try playing some exclusives or at least current gen titles before comparing, although personally I wont be bothering with any of the new consoles for a couple of years at the least.

Associate
OP
Imagine basing your thoughts on games that aren't optimised for the series x.

Lol.

well then give me a list.... imagine commenting nothing but fluff.

why buy one then? If you have a competent PC and there’s nothing really there then there is zero point in buying one at the minute.

living room...? cheaper then another PC to do the same job.

This wasnt a thread to bash, i own it, im invested. so what i do want is to know what games can highlight my purchase, as said the hardware is pretty incredible. so anyone wanting to throw some advice for what to play to see what this new gen can do.

im downloading all the X optimised games from game pass just now, so hopefully i can make a better call laterly. the initial impressions just were not wow. but as said its smooth as anything.

Caporegime
I'm not saying it's a thread to bash, and the reason I didn't recommend anything to blow your socks off is

A) There isn't anything really
B) for me, HDR is a bigger gain over 4K, but you don't have an HDR TV, so there's no point (same thing for 120FPS). Warzone is good at higher frames but I am not sure how consistently it holds that higher FPS to be something to shout about, but again without a 120hz TV you wont see that.

If it's for the living room then fine, but when buying it you surely do your research on games etc that are available to justify your spend? There's more and more updates coming (The Division 2 for example) but they are just games you can get on your PC.

Caporegime
Pointless buying one without a 120hz tv really.

Warzone on a Xbox Series X holds 100-120 most the time, vary rarely dips below 100 according to my monitors FPS display.

To be honest the hardware is ahead of the games. A Xbox One X is all we really need right now for 4K60

Soldato
HDR also makes a difference too which your missing.

Sounds like you don't have the best TV for the new consols which won't help your impression imo

For xbox there totally new game that uses new features is and only The Mediuim, am playing it currently its a good game, I wouldn't say its visually stunning though.

There upgrades are still impressive, gears 5 and forza horizon 4 are both well adjusted

I have felt my ps5 is more impressive but that has what I class as more true next gen games currently

We're still long way off getting games that show the true power of them I feel, they can't just ditch old gen yet plus barely any one can buy a series x or ps5

Caporegime
Spare a thought for me who is gaming on an old Samsung 720p lcd tv lol.

But regardless I don’t regret buying my series x. At some point this yr I will be upgrading to a better screen, it’s just finding one at is decent and a good size. I’m tempted to get the 48” OLED from LG but seeing as there might be a 42” I might wait for that. Although it’s not going to be cheap but that’s what you pay for being first in getting new tech.

So far all the games I have played on my series x have been excellent. So not one iota of regret on my part.

Soldato
Spare a thought for me who is gaming on an old Samsung 720p lcd tv lol.

But regardless I don’t regret buying my series x. At some point this yr I will be upgrading to a better screen, it’s just finding one at is decent and a good size. I’m tempted to get the 48” OLED from LG but seeing as there might be a 42” I might wait for that. Although it’s not going to be cheap but that’s what you pay for being first in getting new tech.

So far all the games I have played on my series x have been excellent. So not one iota of regret on my part.

That was my issue with the ps4 pro, i had a 40" 1080p tv that was too far away in the living room and it didnt make a good experience. I got rid of the ps4 despite the great games on there i wanted to play and got a switch (which is awesome). Now i have my grandads old 49" 1080p tv and im deciding whether to buy the xbox series x first and play all the current games on it then get a nice qled/oled tv at the end of the year and see what the xbox can really do.
Does the games still look okay in 1080p and also what does quality and performance mode do in 1080p?

Caporegime
A mate of mine went from a LED 4k to a LG OLED 4k 120fps with HDR and it blew him away. He couldn't believe the difference, so don't just assume its only 4K thats the upgrade.

Playing old games first isnt advisable as the Series X will unlock all the new features to improve graphics on older titles, would be a shame to miss that.

get one asap, YOLO

Associate

After playing a few different titles, I'm not exactly blown away. Image quality while pristine as most of them are native res, isn't all id hoped. Maybe coming from the enthusiast side of the PCs has taken the new gen feeling away or maybe the games I've played , mostly multi plat are just not doing justice for the hardware.

BFV is really looking its age and I'm assuming without a patch its using last gen assets.
Warzone is another meh.looks fantastic on the PC without RT but here on xbox it still isn't as good despite enough horsepower to do so.

Going to try a few more X optimised titles today to see if somethings grabs me, any recommendations for either gorgeous looking titles or games I cant play on PC?

I will admit however the smoothness of the system is beautiful. It does feel uber polished. And the games generally do run perfectly.

You have a solid rig there I doubt I would have bought a console myself. I got a one X a couple of years ago for Red dead 2. Then I have just got the bug and enjoyed playing like a sack of spuds on my sofa, so upgraded to the SX. Plus my PC is very long in the tooth now and upgrading it is a long way off with current prices and availability.

HDR 10 does makes a huge difference, I haven't tried my TV's 120hz yet as I have been more than happy with the few titles I played at 60 (I have a Samsung NU8000 55" so not the most premium compared to some on this forum). I do prefer higher frames but don't really get those on my 980ti at 1440p these days. So 4K 60 is a welcome feel on the SX. The Division 2 feels like a new game as does State of Decay 2. Personally think BFV looks great, as does gears. It is all down to personal preference I guess and expectations. When I do switch between PC and Console on some of my cross platform titles it is night and day but I really enjoy just chilling on the sofa these days as I spend all day sat at my desk working.

Caporegime
I agree with those who are recommending HDR.

A high end TV with a panel capable of doing it justice will blow you away the most and PC monitors basically cannot compete with TV's at the moment, it doesn't matter how powerful your PC is your monitor is holding you back visually. I would say 4K and 120fps are less impressive but nice additions to next gen all the same.

...and of course like others have said you're playing last gen games.

Soldato
On decent a 4K OLED/QLED these new consoles look like nothing I've ever seen before. Admittedly I don't have a top end PC and never will do but this gen is a major upgrade if you have a TV that can get the best out of these machines. As above HDR when implemented properly is such a big wow factor.

Soldato
Gears 5 looked stunning. Really enjoyed that game.

4K+60+HDR+OLED = Bliss.

uc

Associate
The consoles came out a liitle too soon imo, maybe 6 months to a year. This is the first time that I am feeling desperate for new games after launch.

The good thing for me is the ease of use when playing on my big TV as my PC would sometimes not play ball.

Now playing on a monitor seems less emersive.

The Series X is basically a One X on steroids. I would rather play Gears 5 on that than on PC now.

Associate

Like others have said they are not next gen games. They are last gen with 4k and 60fps patches. Some have had a few extra tweaks. The only next gen game on the xbox is Medium, which renders two completely separate worlds at the same time with HDR. Which is impressive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom